This girl wonders

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sistereurope
Road Kill

Having stalked the forum for a few weeks to see what's what and who's who I thought I'd take the plunge and join. Loved the Sisters since the mid-1980s but as I now have family commitments, i don't get to see them live these days and you are more likely to find Now That's What I Call Sh*te 769 on my car stereo than Some Girls Wander. So I've been reliving my gigging days vicariously through the postings on here and Youtube. Thank you one and all.

Just a couple of questions - what is the real reason the Sisters stay away from the UK and where are they actually based these days? Also, Andrew, if you read this, please grow your hair again. It looks so much better longer and darker.

For what it's worth, my personal favourites are Susanne, Alice, Lucretia, Heartland and No Time to Cry.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I don't think the hair is coming back.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hi sistereurope, the hair is not a fashion statement but a necessary evil :wink:

They stay away as each tour has a down turn in attendance-see Leeds 2009 my back garden ;D

Chris lives inh Leeds! Ben is a London boy and Andy lives in Neverland.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:I don't think the hair is coming back.
:eek: :lol:
With comments like that its no wonder 'Andy' is staying away from the UK :oops: :roll:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
sultan2075
Overbomber

You think he's ashamed of male-pattern baldness? At least he's dealing with it gracefully, unlike, say... Nick Cave.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

sultan2075 wrote:You think he's ashamed of male-pattern baldness? At least he's dealing with it gracefully, unlike, say... Nick Cave.
Aye, Nick Cave-70's Pron Star ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
sultan2075
Overbomber

The mustache makes all the difference.
Last edited by sultan2075 on 08 Dec 2008, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
--
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

For what it's worth, Chris is a regular at the same curry house as me. (Bengal Brasserie, Haddon Road, Leeds.

Well worth a visit if you're ever around Leeds; say 'hi' to Ikky and Sham from me. :lol: (and no, they didn't pay me :P ))
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
psichonaut
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:say 'hi' to Ikky and Sham from me. :lol: (and no, they didn't pay me :P ))
the contrary...last time you left the dinner to pay :twisted:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:For what it's worth, Chris is a regular at the same curry house as me. (Bengal Brasserie, Haddon Road, Leeds.

Well worth a visit if you're ever around Leeds; say 'hi' to Ikky and Sham from me. :lol: (and no, they didn't pay me :P ))
Any chance you could get them to freeze-dry a chicken balti and mail it to me? The local indian food around here is pretty good but seems to be predominantly southern Indian as opposed to the Pakistani/Bangladeshi influences that England has a lot of. Thus, baltis are thin on the ground, and I am jonesing. Better yet, if anyone lives in London and can stop by Rajdoots on Paddington Street and pick up one of their baltis, have it freeze-dried, and shipped with the brass bucket and some naans, I will gladly give that person my first-born child.

Sorry, just have a hankering for a curry right now.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

To be fair, they're only staying away from the UK this time. They were here last time (2006) and for most of the previous tours. I think only the European summer tours and a couple of American tours have skipped us in the past (except for the real "us" north of the border, who are only deigned with the great one's presence once in a millennium, when the planets align correctly and he can, to use the mystical parlance, be arsed).

So why he's snubbing his nose (d'you see what I did there?) at the UK this time remains to be satisfactorily explained. Perhaps we're not offering him the necessary millions per song.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am sure a few UK dates will be added shortly hopefully around June when I will be visiting from the USA.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Welcome Sister!

Expecting some UK dates as well. :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Me too, I'd go for the middle of may ;-) just before the Latin America tour!
sistereurope
Road Kill

So many replies, so exciting!!! I must come here more often.

You know, I never even thougth of male pattern baldness. I thought it only affected mortals, not, you know, Him. I shall have to check it out for real when they tour next year. D'you think they're likely to play in Weymouth??? (Ironic snort)

Curry. Oh God. Yes. And it's only 8.45am.
Silver_Owl
The Don

sistereurope wrote:So many replies, so exciting!!! I must come here more often.
Please do :!: :D We like new folk round here.
Welcome aboard :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Hopefully they'll come in the summer so I can follow them round the country :D
sistereurope
Road Kill

I like this forum. So sisterly and friendly! Maybe next year I'll get to a gig or two to meet some of you.

Still in a curry frame of mind, though.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

sistereurope wrote:You know, I never even thougth of male pattern baldness
Neither had I until my late twenties :cry:

Anyway if you want to start a Leeds Curry War, I've told you lot - Sheesh Mahal on Kirkstall Road rules. Tariq's used to be okay but now they don't have a licence :urff:

...Oh, welcome by the way! :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We had a bit of a falling out with the Sheesh Mahal when they took over an hour to bring our food. Not been back since.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sistereurope
Road Kill

Thanks one and all for your welcomes. And for the first time in my life, I'm wishing I lived in leeds! Mind you, we do have more than passable curries down here in the deep south though
robertzombie
Overbomber

Where in the South are you? :)
Silver_Owl
The Don

Don't tell him Pike. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
sistereurope
Road Kill

Between Devon and Hampshire, south of Somerset and north of the Channel Islands

Stupid boy Pike