"New" Rosetta Video - Chapter and Verse

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Someone has put a promo video for the song Chapter & Verse on youtube. I didn't know this even existed and heard nothing about it when doing my research for the site, so all in all a bolt out of the blue (and into he black).

If anyone has any idea of the story behind it (looking at you Ramone :wink: ) please tell all.

Rob and I are trying to track down a high res version for posterity, we shall see what comes of it. Credit to Robzombie for finding it in the first place 8)

Clicky
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i've added it to the RS website videos page 8)

http://www.rosetta-stone-info.co.uk/media.php
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Excellent. 8)
More importantly, Quiffy, I heard there were promos for GD's "Down To The Wire" and "Celebrate"... do they exist?
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

They could have been great given some investment in recording, i.e. orchestera, production and sound engineering... 8)

I mean that as a compliment..
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
robertzombie
Overbomber

It's true, their production was a bit iffy at times. It's a shame all their songs didn't get the Adrenaline Deluxe treatment.
silentNate

robertzombie wrote:It's true, their production was a bit iffy at times. It's a shame all their songs didn't get the Adrenaline Deluxe treatment.
Being on a site with loads of fans of Rosetta Stone you might think I might be more open about how much I enjoyed the album An Eye For The Main Chance but they always seemed a bit derivative at the time and the Mish connection did them no favours :oops:
I had a hand on the gun
nodubmanshouts

I heard there were promos for GD's "Down To The Wire" and "Celebrate"... do they exist?
Seen DTTW.... it involves much vertical hand clapping. Would be nice to see it again 20 years later....
nodubmanshouts

Being on a site with loads of fans of Rosetta Stone you might think I might be more open about how much I enjoyed the album An Eye For The Main Chance but they always seemed a bit derivative at the time and the Mish connection did them no favours
Yeah... derivative, but fun. Never to be taken too seriously, they filled a gap. Eye For... was a good album.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

silentNate wrote:They could have been great given some investment in recording, i.e. orchestera, production and sound engineering... 8)

I mean that as a compliment..
I argue they were great :wink:

In the words of Neil Ash of Children On Stun

"I like all that ropey production, gives it a bit more gravy"

Something I quite agree with. That's not to say the better produced stuff that came later and the good mastering on Adrenaline deluxe isn't nice.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the 'better produced' stuff they did towards the end lacked balls.

all the beef went out of them when porl started using pro-tools for everything.

the witch was the last half-decent thing they did, sound-wise. tyranny... is ok-ish, but hiding in waiting, gender confusion & unerotica sound awful :urff:
robertzombie
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:hiding in waiting, gender confusion & unerotica sound awful :urff:
True, but I've enjoyed the sound of Chemical Emissions
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:the 'better produced' stuff they did towards the end lacked balls.

all the beef went out of them when porl started using pro-tools for everything.

the witch was the last half-decent thing they did, sound-wise. tyranny... is ok-ish, but hiding in waiting, gender confusion & unerotica sound awful :urff:
Fully agreed! What I meant by "better produced stuff they did later" was An Eye... Adrenaline and The Witch - which had much higher production values than Retribution, And How They Rejoice and Retribution for example. That said, these later releases had a wonderful bomastic and dramatic sound to them, but the earlier stuff had this wonderfully DIY quality - like Goth music but a punk sound. I think this has a lot to do with them being recorded at Slauterhouse studios, which gave us the early sound of The Sisters, m*****n and Salvation amonst others.

Tyranny sounded ok, but it was seriously down hill from there on in - production wise. This is my issue with miserylab. Pretty good songs but, in my opinion, totally lacking the beef that early Rosetta Stone had, and therefore a little disapointing in comparison.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I actually prefer the production on the Darkness And Light EP than on An Eye. The later always sounded a bit ropey and lacking.
I attempted to remaster the tracks that weren't included on Adrenaline Deluxe and was relatively successful :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

most songs on the 'eye' album sound as if they found a drum machine in a skip outside porl's house, turned it on replaced all the sounds with a snare drum :lol:

agreed that d&l is probably the nicest sounding, although adrenaline is ok - the difference compared to what went before it is like them doing their own ToL'92 :D
Ramone

Well the video is a bit of a mystery. Kim ( Yoko) B, says she may of shot the footage down in the basement of Ivanhoe Road ( Rosetta's home in Liverpool for many years) and then again she thinks a friend of hers called Nicky who was a student at Soutport Arts College may of shot some of it for her course work. The live stuff I think is from Planet X in Liverpool circa 1989. And as you can see by the basement footage - Porl was enjoying his 'Walk Away' phase round that time :)

With regards to studio production. The Darkness and Light Ep was done on a very tight budget over three days at the Slaughterhouse in Yorkshire and the An Eye for a Main Chance was recorded and mixed at Phil Manzanera's (Roxy Music) home studio in Chertsy near London by the two Porl's - Young played guitar on some tracks and then later joined the band.

I never took much interest in the 'nuts and bolts' of recording, it was far too repetative for me. Porl King would pour his heart and soul ( sorry for the pun) into his production and to my knowledge, still does. But he was still a novice at this point and although he was very hands-on he was more of a 'Executive producer' at that point. But I do agree, looking back the sound lacked something. Maybe it was the the studio or the time spent on it. But I felt the album , if anything was over produced. But maybe that was the sound Porl was looking for at the time and it was just my ears that heard that?

As for the remaining work - I'd jumped ship by then and can't cast light on any of that.

I can't comment on Miserylab as I've not heard them sorry .
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
robertzombie
Overbomber

Youtube wrote: huxly2007 (22 hours ago)
Blimey..even I ain't got this vid and I shot half of it !
Any idea who that could be?

EDIT : I contacted him/her, they basically said that they used to film every gig and that the video was filmed in Porl & Karls basement when they lived in Aigburth, Liverpool.

The video was filmed a while after the release of Darkness And Light, "judging by porls 'new' guitar".

:D
nodubmanshouts

I preferred the sound of Eye For... over Darkness & Light.... as a certain gravedigging friend of mine commented "guitars on D&L were layered a dozen times.... but still sounds like s**t to me".

Still, I think in all their recording they never managed to recreate the power of the live experience (similar to Ghost Dance's problem).
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Listening to the "Gathering The Dust" live medly on the B side of Down To The Wire is a wonderful experience for me every time 8)

I MUCH prefer the gritty under produced era of GD, you can hear the emotion being put into playing it, whereas I think the later stuff just sounded weak and the songs, in my opinion, suffered.

I have a decent collection of classic Rosetta Stone (1988 - 1993) bootlegs and they all sound absolutely wonderful. From the glorious sound of Porl's 12 string, Karl's bass and the old Casio drum machine somehow managing to sound like a 5 piece band right through to the epic recreations of the album sound that happened after he joined. It'll always sadden me a little that I never saw it for real, but such is life.
nodubmanshouts

Yeah, I'll second that... the early Rosetta demos were great. (btw, the Rosetta drum machine was an Oberheim DX - same as 'classic' sisters).
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

robertzombie wrote:The video was filmed a while after the release of Darkness And Light, "judging by porls 'new' guitar".

:D
ah yes, i remember that guitar - full of home-made stickers and dodgy slogans :lol:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote: (btw, the Rosetta drum machine was an Oberheim DX - same as 'classic' sisters).
It started out life as a Casio RZ1 (thus Madame Razor) and progressed onto being an Oberheim around 1990 as Ramone mentioned in another thread.
silentNate

Spent today listening to Plastic Toy... Splended stuff :lol:
I had a hand on the gun
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Dark wrote:Excellent. 8)
More importantly, Quiffy, I heard there were promos for GD's "Down To The Wire" and "Celebrate"... do they exist?
:innocent:

Come now, I know it's off-topic, but pleeeease? :innocent: ;D
silentNate

miserylab release their new album on May the first to the best of my knowledge but there appears to be no thread mentioning it :(

http://www.miserylab.com/
I had a hand on the gun
robertzombie
Overbomber

Shame that video got pulled. I wonder if anyone downloaded it way back when...