Techno

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I just want to know what you folks think about electronic music like Jeff Mills or Steve Bricknell (if somebody knows those heroes)?
The most people I met are listening to Psy/Trance.[/b][/u]
Do I drive or am I driven?
Big Si
School Bully

A pity Rob ain't about, he's well into his 'choons'! :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

It depends. It ofcourse has too be good. Not that trash dance you see on mtv. I like Juno Reactor, Astral Projection things like that. But its a mood thing, it also depends on what mood Im in.
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Lots of techno kicks red ass. Preferably the intelligent love god stuff with tunes. The odd e has been known to help appreciation of this fine art-form. But yeah, put me in a techno club and I'm smiling. :D . See.

Dave
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

used to go to "bugged out" @ sanky soap in manchester circa 94-96.

basically, as goth got s**t and even more derivative than usual, i got into industrial. back when industrial was nitzer ebb, 242, etc - when it was more about percussive rhythms and synth noises than thrashy guitars with distorted voicals...

but then yer man from front line assembly got into a tit-for-tat with trent reznor, and suddenly all those industrial bands started trying to sound harder and scarier than the rest - "my distortion padel is angrier than yours".

so when industrial became tedious and dull i started looking around for something that captured the stuff i liked about goth and ealrier industrial stuff - those utterly bastard groovy drum patterns, those bad ass basslines, etc etc

and lo! i did discover techno, in all its forms. be it abstract and electronic or be it full on 4-to-the floor, dark, scary detroit madness, etc etc. i love it. its marvellous... :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Andy TG
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:used to go to "bugged out" @ sanky soap in manchester circa 94-96.

basically, as goth got **** and even more derivative than usual, i got into industrial. back when industrial was nitzer ebb, 242, etc - when it was more about percussive rhythms and synth noises than thrashy guitars with distorted voicals...

but then yer man from front line assembly got into a tit-for-tat with trent reznor, and suddenly all those industrial bands started trying to sound harder and scarier than the rest - "my distortion padel is angrier than yours".

so when industrial became tedious and dull i started looking around for something that captured the stuff i liked about goth and ealrier industrial stuff - those utterly bastard groovy drum patterns, those bad ass basslines, etc etc

and lo! i did discover techno, in all its forms. be it abstract and electronic or be it full on 4-to-the floor, dark, scary detroit madness, etc etc. i love it. its marvellous... :)
@ QB - Would you be able to site a few bands/groups of the "Techno" persuasion perchance?

(Go on - you know you want to! ;-))
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
James Blast
Banned

saw SPK Andy, they were well boss!
anglegrinders, oil drums, girl shrieker and Japanese tomfoolery. Not a bad Tuesday night out in Glasgow in the mid eighties, a week later.... The Birthday Party's 'Goodbye' tour, aye, I lived.

now where is ma pipe and slippers?!
James
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

AndyTheGoth wrote:@ QB - Would you be able to site a few bands/groups of the "Techno" persuasion perchance?

(Go on - you know you want to! ;-))
"abstract" stuff like beaumont hannant, autechre, gescom, black dog, plaid, future sound of london, anything to do with tom middleton (ie: jedi knights, link/e621, reload, etc etc), anything on warp records' "artificial intelligence" compilations :)

"techno" stuff like jeff mills, ritchie hawtin/plastikman, derrick may, carl craig, juan atkins & model 500, global communications (tom middleton again), underground resistance, etc etc

:)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DomConway
Filth

jenzi-benzi wrote:I just want to know what you folks think about electronic music like Jeff Mills or Steve Bricknell (if somebody knows those heroes)?
The most people I met are listening to Psy/Trance.
I love a bit of Mills and Bicknell (not Bricknell ;) ) meself. In fact Bicknell's Lost Recordings Vol 4 is one of me fave vinyls ever. Also into Umek, Adam Beyer, Space DJz, Richie Hawtin, Paperclip People/Carl Craig, plenty more... If you fancied a peek, some of me vinyl collection is at:
http://www.discogs.com/user/collection/?u=DomConway
I'm getting a real feeling of deja vu here, sure we've had this discussion before but can't find it anywhere... Who else are you into? I'm off to see Umek & Valentino Kanyami next Friday, that should be a bit of a corker.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

nice!
didnt thought of this posting anymore!
when i was writing this topic i thought everybody would tell me that Techno is f***ing bad, but hey.....
Yes Umek.. are good but nobody will come to Jeff Mills skills.
In London there were some Lost Parties years ago (i was there with a few people from Germany & Belgium), but London itself is freaky expensive to out.
Did anyone of you know Spiral or OQP stuff
http://freetekno.nl
here are some nice freetekno tracks (network23)
http://fdread.org/ -> worth a visit
Do I drive or am I driven?