Contractual reasons for not releasing "new" materi

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Badlander
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: My point wasn't aimed at you particularly - it's just we've been over this tiresome subject over and over again.
And yet cigarettes still stink. ;D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Silver_Owl
The Don

Badlander wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: My point wasn't aimed at you particularly - it's just we've been over this tiresome subject over and over again.
And yet cigarettes still stink. ;D
But do they? Do they really? :D

:wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Badlander
Overbomber

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote: I'll post what I want, where I want - but thanks for your comments. ;D
My point wasn't aimed at you particularly - it's just we've been over this tiresome subject over and over again.
Then please point me to the relevant threads, so I can spare you more boredom! :wink: Like I said at the beginning of my post, I'm sure that you have been going over this many times, I just couldn't find where.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Yggdrasil wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: I'll post what I want, where I want - but thanks for your comments. ;D
My point wasn't aimed at you particularly - it's just we've been over this tiresome subject over and over again.
Then please point me to the relevant threads, so I can spare you more boredom! :wink: Like I said at the beginning of my post, I'm sure that you have been going over this many times, I just couldn't find where.
Yawn :innocent:
Here
Here
Here
Here
Here

To name a few. And they are just the ones obvious from their titles. Many threads have been derailed into discussing it. :wink:

Happy reading. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ian P. Christ
Amphetamine Filth

Yggdrasil wrote:I just can't buy the argument that they're not releasing new material just because "there is no point because of greedy record company executives", as was stated in an interview this summer. I suspect that there might also be residual contractual reasons, despite Von claiming that the contract with East/West is terminated.
that's interesting.

a friend of mine who worked for sanctuary records a few years ago told me a similar story. as some of you may know, andrew was in talk with some labels (sanctuary, roadrunner, mute), but nothing worked out.

i wouldn't totally doubt that there are actually other reasons for not releasing new material than the ones we know or think to know.
XXX
Yggdrasil

skeletal remains wrote: a friend of mine who worked for sanctuary records a few years ago told me a similar story. as some of you may know, andrew was in talk with some labels (sanctuary, roadrunner, mute), but nothing worked out.

i wouldn't totally doubt that there are actually other reasons for not releasing new material than the ones we know or think to know.
It's not all that unusual. Many artists find themselves contractually bound for many years, even though they try to cancel the contracts, and they can't even perform live without record company consent, much less record. That's one of the main reasons people record under other names or anonymously, something which I know Eldritch has been known to do. He is also very, very bitter towards the record company, and doesn't seem to even want to discuss releasing any new material.

My guess is that he simply is legally unable to. I've seen that happen to quite a few artists myself, that's why I bring it up. But if you've gone this exact same discussion before, don't let me bore you. I'll sift through the old threads first (thanks for those, BTW!).
darkparticle

I'm sorry Yggdrasil, or should I call you Andrew :?

How long have you been making Sisters records for????
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
Yggdrasil

darkparticle wrote:I'm sorry Yggdrasil, or should I call you Andrew :?

How long have you been making Sisters records for????
Please elaborate.
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

I haven't been over this tiresome subject before :lol:

Forget new releases, as someone mentioned in another thread, the best way for Eldritch to bank a chunk o'cash would be to get a proper band together and do a 25th anniversary tour of the FALAA/reptile house etc... type affair. Then book the gigs as private FOREST parties :wink:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

I haven't been over this tiresome subject before
Exactly. As someone who has - albeit not here - a little patience with those who haven't, maybe?

If the thread bores anyone, no one says they have to continue to read it...and the fact that some do keep coming back afterwards says something right there :wink:

(Though I'm not saying what... :innocent: )

We've all got our theories, we've all made our speculations...but sometimes you just have to bounce them off the wall again.
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I have seen this topic before, but it's not tiresome at all so please continue discussing!

Somewhat linked to the Adam Pearson Interview topic, because he could probably give some answers that would make some issues clearer.
Yggdrasil

euphoria wrote:I have seen this topic before, but it's not tiresome at all so please continue discussing!

Somewhat linked to the Adam Pearson Interview topic, because he could probably give some answers that would make some issues clearer.
Has anyone actually asked Eldritch (or Pearson) a direct question about this?

(Again, I haven't been able to find a thread with that specific information, but please provide me with a link if one exists. I checked the old threads but have still failed to find one containing this specific discussion, at best the contract topic was only mentioned in passing).
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

There's one simple reason you will never see another Sisters record: Eldritch ego.

He has enough money, he can still do gigs and he's still a legend. The only thing releasing a new record will do is damage #3.

He knows this. So do we. So you will never see another Sisters record.

Next...
Caravaggio
Road Kill

nodubmanshouts wrote: He has enough money, he can still do gigs and he's still a legend. The only thing releasing a new record will do is damage #3.
I totally agree, though I really would like to see a new album.
But the result will probably be as boring as the stuff ACDC, Metallica & GnR were releasing last year.
And (to be honest): how many really good songs did they do in the last 15 years? I don't think it's enough for a longplayer :innocent:
nightmusic
Road Kill

To add my tuppence into the hat...

First - didn't Vision Thing cost $ 1M to record? This would mean cash up front for studio time and I doubt Mr E has that kind of money. That's why I think he stated $ 3M for 3 albums... which to my mind indicates a desire to release records. But requires a label to come along with that sort of money, not a likely prospect now.

Another point I've not seen raised, is what would it sound like - i.e. the first three albums all have a different sound, it would be a shame if it sounded like the last one, after long 18 years. Not that I dislike VT but you'd expect some sort of progression?
aims
Overbomber

nightmusic wrote:Another point I've not seen raised, is what would it sound like - i.e. the first three albums all have a different sound, it would be a shame if it sounded like the last one, after long 18 years. Not that I dislike VT but you'd expect some sort of progression?
The "new" material has long since progressed past Vision Thing.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

1. They do not have enough material. I mean seriously the band writes a song every second year, and most "new" songs right now are 10 years old.

2. Von does not trust the material.

3. It would not sell s**t! I mean we would all buy it, but how many are we? They are not even selling out the clubs they are playing anymore.

4. The window has past. This sucks but I think it is true, the album should have come at the end of the nineties, that was the window. Now it is too late. The recordbuisness is shot dead, the fans are gone and Von has lost interest.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
christophe
Overbomber

good points!

but, why not releasing "semi new" material?
meaning, a new release in limited pressings. not meant to hit the charts but to please the fans and maybe earn a bit of money in the meantime.
A new live album, a dvd, another reissue, …. ?
Another Shade of You.
Silver_Owl
The Don

7anthea7 wrote:If the thread bores anyone, no one says they have to continue to read it...and the fact that some do keep coming back afterwards says something right there :wink:
It's my job to keep an eye on you all. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Badlander
Overbomber

Caravaggio wrote: And (to be honest): how many really good songs did they do in the last 15 years? I don't think it's enough for a longplayer :innocent:
I beg to differ. I truly love We are the same, Susanne, Summer, War on drugs, Crash & burn... Deal with it. :von:
Badlander
Overbomber

il duce wrote:1. They do not have enough material. I mean seriously the band writes a song every second year, and most "new" songs right now are 10 years old.
These are the songs you know about, not the songs that exist. :innocent:
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Susanne, Summer, War on drugs, Crash & burn
All crap... IMHO :D
Yggdrasil

Badlander wrote:
il duce wrote:1. They do not have enough material. I mean seriously the band writes a song every second year, and most "new" songs right now are 10 years old.
These are the songs you know about, not the songs that exist. :innocent:
Also, one of the points I'm making with my "legal obstacles argument" is that there is very little incentive to release (or even arrange/finish) songs that the band have no way of (legally) releasing.

That a new album would have to cost as much as the quoted figure for VT is ridiculous. We're talking an order of a magnitude cheaper, if everything is properly rehearsed and arranged.

Also, I very much disagree with the notion that the band/Eldritch is a completely spent creative force, fit only to serve as a vehicle for aging fans to relive old memories. I think people with that kind of opinion belittle both the band and themselves.

I love the "new" songs, especially Summer and C&B, and I believe E/the band has a lot more where that came from. I also think that the band has a pretty enviable situation compared with many other bands - they have a diehard international following, they are a good live band, and they have firm control of their own esthetic.

The people that are in real trouble these days are the clueless record company marionettes who can't write their own material and can't perform live, and the company clerks that signed them and has been living off their investment by controlling the distribution channels and the format. Good riddance, I say.
Yggdrasil

il duce wrote:
3. It would not sell s**t! I mean we would all buy it, but how many are we? They are not even selling out the clubs they are playing anymore.

4. The window has past. This sucks but I think it is true, the album should have come at the end of the nineties, that was the window. Now it is too late. The recordbuisness is shot dead, the fans are gone and Von has lost interest.
The fact that the record business has been transformed is an advantage to the band, not the other way around. They can (could have?) make records at a much lower cost, and most importantly, they wouldn't have to give 98% of what they earned to a record company, they could keep most of the money themselves and hence wouldn't have to sell as many copies to get the same net result.

Also, keep in mind that the miniscule amount of sales that an artist gets from sales also has to recuperate what the artist already owes (in most cases) to the record company for "promotion" and "overhead" i.e being worthless and snorting coke (nothing wrong with any of that, I just prefer it when people don't shift the bill). Also, any advance money also has to be repaid to the record company. More often than not, this system reduces artists to little more than slavery. That this system is finally collapsing should be celebrated.