JAPAN !

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So it's been a strange torrid few months.

I got laid off in Dec but with a VERY generious severance package.

With that much money in my bank account staring at me I have decided it's time to hit Japan.

Going for 3 weeks in March/April.

I'll posting pics and will try and find some sisters stuff if it's there.

Plan is to use Tokyo as a home base and bullet train to Kyoto, Nara, Yokohama, Osaka spending a day or more here and there.
End of line.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Sounds great!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Excellent idea! I'm kind of considering going there for a holiday too, mostly Tokyo and see where you can get from there... I'd love to photograph there, Japan pictures always fascinate me, something very special about them, but wonder if one can survive with English and perhaps a tourist-Japanese booklet or so? The cost's quite something too I suppose? Spotted affordable flights to Tokyo these days, but when you get there it all really starts I guess...

Either way, do keep us posted, I'm mucho interested :-D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

weebleswobble wrote:Sounds great!
second that emotion 8)
Goths have feelings too
Silver_Owl
The Don

Obviousman wrote:Excellent idea! I'm kind of considering going there for a holiday too, mostly Tokyo and see where you can get from there... I'd love to photograph there, Japan pictures always fascinate me, something very special about them, but wonder if one can survive with English and perhaps a tourist-Japanese booklet or so? The cost's quite something too I suppose? Spotted affordable flights to Tokyo these days, but when you get there it all really starts I guess...

A good friend of mine lived there for 6 months. He didn't speak any Japanese before arrival. If you want any advice - I can always ask. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Big Si
School Bully

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Obviousman wrote:Excellent idea! I'm kind of considering going there for a holiday too, mostly Tokyo and see where you can get from there... I'd love to photograph there, Japan pictures always fascinate me, something very special about them, but wonder if one can survive with English and perhaps a tourist-Japanese booklet or so? The cost's quite something too I suppose? Spotted affordable flights to Tokyo these days, but when you get there it all really starts I guess...

A good friend of mine lived there for 6 months. He didn't speak any Japanese before arrival. If you want any advice - I can always ask. :wink:
My sister also lived in Tokyo for about 2 years. 8)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Big Si wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:

Not bad! Whenever I decide on going there, I'll be in touch with both of you ;D (I'd only go for a week or so - perhaps slightly more, but not much - if I would though)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Big Si
School Bully

Obviousman wrote:
Big Si wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: A good friend of mine lived there for 6 months. He didn't speak any Japanese before arrival. If you want any advice - I can always ask. :wink:
Not bad! Whenever I decide on going there, I'll be in touch with both of you ;D (I'd only go for a week or so - perhaps slightly more, but not much - if I would though)
You've gotta go for a few weeks General. One week defo ain't enough. My dad used to go visit her for 3 weeks at a time, and he said he wished he'd had even more time as there was so much to do and go see, not just in tokyo but all over the country. You lose a few days because of the jet lag :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hmm, I'll wait a couple of years then and do something else this summer, can't get that much time off as far as I know :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Hmm, I'll wait a couple of years then and do something else this summer...
How about Beirut? :innocent:

As for Japan, my boss lived there for a couple of years and loved it, as did one of our ESOL tutors. I don't think either of them spoke any Japapnese when they moved there, and I'm not sure if they speak any now. It's a place I'd love to visit, but it would need more time and money than I have. There's definitely an upside to large severence packages :lol:
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
spot778

I have some basic Japanese but I'm no where near fluent or conversational.

Have some friends based there whom I've been talking to. A week would be a waste. The bullet trains make travel short Tokyo to Osaka it like 3 hours

It ain't cheap by a long shot

Flight : $1350
Hotel : $2000+ you can do this for cheaper but I'm getting a little old for the hostels :D
JT Rail Pass: $800, this lets you ride the shinkasen (bullet train) for 21 days unlimited. Sounds pricey but the average trip will cost $190 one way so it's worth it. This is all in CDN dollars.

To be honest I am a little spooked, think about signs with no roman characters at all, maps are pretty much usless as there are no real addresses 99% of the time the number on the building is the date when it was made.

It's also largely cash based vs credit card.

Having red hair and freckles means I'm sticking out even larger then then average person and then there's the whole issue with tattoos. Mine's covered by a shirt but it means no public baths or onsen (hot springs) for me as tattoos are forbidden. Keeps the Yakuza out.
End of line.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

You might wanna watch "Lost In Translation". :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
spot778

Ozpat wrote:You might wanna watch "Lost In Translation". :lol:
Already seen it, I suspect that that's the way I'm going to be feeling :D

That hotel is over priced for what it offers though :wink:

If you owned a Dreamcast and played Shenmue I'm going to Dobuita for a pilgrimage. It's a little south of Yokohama about 90 mins from Tokyo :notworthy:
End of line.
Silver_Owl
The Don

spot778 wrote:

If you owned a Dreamcast and played Shenmue I'm going to Dobuita for a pilgrimage. It's a little south of Yokohama about 90 mins from Tokyo :notworthy:
If you got to meet Scarlett Johanson it would all be worthwhile. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
spot778

Only if she's a sisters fan ;D
End of line.
Silver_Owl
The Don

spot778 wrote:Only if she's a sisters fan ;D
Personally, I'd get over it if she wasn't. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Hom_Corleone wrote:
spot778 wrote:

If you got to meet Scarlett Johanson it would all be worthwhile. :wink:
Oh yes; I agree so much! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

bon voyage.

i quite envy 'coz Japan is one of the few place on earth that i want to see, badly. anyhow, thanks for the photos in advance. :)
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Good luck!

I've been to Japan many times - first few times I hardly spoke the lingo, and its not really a problem - most map signs do have roman characters in the bigger cities, and there's always somebody around to help. But do prepared to have some restaurants politely refuse to serve you if you can't speak Japanese.

BIG TIP: Take a visa debit card to get cash. You can get cash at any post office ATM (but normally not other ATMs).

Have fun!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:Sounds great!
second that emotion 8)
I see what you did there :lol: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell