Ever bought a record primarily cos of the sleeve design?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Big Si
School Bully

hallucienate wrote:mel gibson is australian.
Nope, he's american. The family moved to australia when he was young, he was born in New York.

But it's the best pic I could find on the 'net (I was at work!).
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
hallucienate
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:
Nope, he's american. The family moved to australia when he was young, he was born in New York.

same difference, he's still only pretending to be scottish because he got paid lots of money.

A piccy of Billy Connolly would've been much better.
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

bought Christian Death Ashes - G/f for about a fiver in the little secondhand store in the basement near the Sacha (sp? ) in Manchester ( you know of it Si :?: ) just off Piccadilly Gardens.

It has a really cool picture of a vampyre holding a baby and an Antonin Artaud ( poor bugger :( ) poem in the sleeve. Anyway, so last time i checked it was worth around £50 :eek:

for artwork and such you may wanna checkout the Q 100 record sleeve covers - very very cool and a nice reminder

My MB is also rusted, to ease opening it, put candle wax around the rim :innocent: :wink: to stop it rusting any further i've covered mine in bees wax and that seems to work okay :roll:

according to the Q blurb for MB :notworthy: :notworthy:

PIL had to pay 1/2 the cost of production themselves.
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Big Si
School Bully

hallucienate wrote:
Big Si wrote:

same difference, he's still only pretending to be scottish because he got paid lots of money.

A piccy of Billy Connolly would've been much better.
:wink: :twisted:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
hallucienate
Overbomber

yup, now that is a Scot!
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

Yes,I have.I bought Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures"(1979) that way although by that time I haven't heard anything of them at all yet.It was in 1992 and I was just 14 years old.
Seeing it in my ten years older male cousin's crate of records back then I was just deadly impressed by its sleeve and I wanted to find out more.That record simply changed the way I was looking at the music forever and has a very special place in my record collection ever since just like the Sisters' rather fabulous "Floodland"(1987) that I first heard four years earlier.Its music,lyrics...in fact everything was just splendid.And Joy Division became one of my favourite all time bands that way.And all thanks to my cousin who got me into them.He got me into the Sisters more promptly too.
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Speaking of reggae, does Marian count? Otherwise, no.

Here's an alternative question: ever bought a record, took it home, played it once and thrown it straight in the bin? I have. Killing Joke - Revelations. Utterly blinking atrocious, and a waste of a good three quid. I know this may spark controversy, and so let me say I bought it because I LIKED some of their music. But that doesn't mean that record isn't utter, UTTER, UTTER pants. Did I say utter enough?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
James Blast
Banned

eh..... dunno if I should admit this one but <gulps>
One Live Badger by Badger, it had a Roger Dean (of Yes covers fame) sleeve and Yes' former keyboard player formed them.

I'm chucked, amn't I?
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Ever bought a record primarily cos of the sleeve design?

No, but I have deliberately avoided records based on their sleeve designs.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
pikkrong
Overbomber

Nancy_78 wrote:Yes,I have.I bought Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures"(1979) that way although by that time I haven't heard anything of them at all yet.It was in 1992 and I was just 14 years old.
Seeing it in my ten years older male cousin's crate of records back then I was just deadly impressed by its sleeve and I wanted to find out more.That record simply changed the way I was looking at the music forever and has a very special place in my record collection ever since just like the Sisters' rather fabulous "Floodland"(1987) that I first heard four years earlier.Its music,lyrics...in fact everything was just splendid.And Joy Division became one of my favourite all time bands that way.And all thanks to my cousin who got me into them.He got me into the Sisters more promptly too.
If I ever bought a record primarily cos of the sleeve design, it would be "Unknown Pleasures" 8)
do i drive
or am i driven
pikkrong
Overbomber

Oh, oh, I have correct myself - I have bought 2 different versions of Sisters' "More" CD single, "Temple Of Love" CD single and "Floodland" CD... Maybe there was something else... Yes, one Swedish mailorder sent me a wrong CD - "FALAA" instead of "First And Last And Forever" tribute and I let it to myself because it was an American pressing and I had a German earlier. Or on the contrary :)
Maybe there's anything else...
do i drive
or am i driven
Big Si
School Bully

Chairman Bux wrote:Ever bought a record primarily cos of the sleeve design?

No, but I have deliberately avoided records based on their sleeve designs.
What about this one Mr Chairman? :wink: :D

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

That is one I've successfully managed to avoid thus far, yes.

:urff:

I also find that records on either the Cleopatra or Nightbreed labels tend to be a nice way of letting the customer know that he or she should spend their zloty elsewhere.

numan
Road Kill

I dont have it, not even heared, but people say its not bad one..

weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

It's the reason I hang with you lot.
&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

It's pretty much how I got into Marillion. I'd looked at the sleeves for years in record shops but never bought the albums cos I'd only heard a couple of songs. Eventually got all four of the original albums for 75p and then started collecting the rest when the music turned out to be rather good.

I've also bought a few singles by female artists because there were nice pics of them on the sleeves. Sometimes I liked the songs too, sometimes it was just a nice photo.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

The Strawbs - Grave New World
Cud - Elvis belt

I lied before.

Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Every now and again. I got "Into The Abyss" by Sex Gang Children when I was wee because of the cool (Dore') illustration on the front.

Depressingly I've been almost totally conditioned to look more closely at records with stark images in perfect square borders on black backgrounds with the band's name in neat font just below the image.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

mr blobby and jive bunny 7" but they also had free badges. glad i did because the tunes turned out to be top

also, i have a 7" from the innocence m*****n 'black sheep wall' which was purchased purely because of the cover, which looked a bit goth

- thanks to the web, shown below

Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Have you got that one, Maisey? :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Where to begin, ouch!

Last addition: A 7" sandwiched between two 10"s. Not quite a sleeve but quite possibly one of the cooler packagings I've come across so far :D Plus the sleeve has music on it too, what's not to like 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Obviousman wrote:Where to begin, ouch!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i was waiting for you to join this one... ;D :lol: :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Quiff Boy wrote:

I'll just link through to my discogs profile straight away shall I :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Obviousman wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

I'll just link through to my discogs profile straight away shall I :innocent:
yeah, straight to the money shot ;D
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thea wrote:i bought "mask" by bauhaus 'cos i liked the panda.
I heard that is a portrait of the band? Very cool sleeve. I also liked In the Flat Field artwork - turned out to be a pretty good record too.

I would've bought Snake Dance anyway, but deliberately bought the 12" because of the snake print embossed sleeve.

Also, funnily enough I guessed that Rose of Avalanche might sound like they do by the sleeve of Goddess.