Recently discovered...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
NewbieOfMercy
Road Kill

Hey guys and girls,
I couldn't find an appropriate introduction thread or board so I thought i'd just quickly introduce myself here, apologies to mods if this isn't appropriate!

Anyways i've just discovered the Sisters of Mercy, and i'm glad I have!

I don't know how but i'd heard songs etc before but never really looked a lot into them, i've spent a while looking around these boards and it seems to be a good community of real big fans!

Anyways just wanted to introduce myself, go easy on me (i'm only 23) for only just getting into these!!!

Greetz!
Moakahontas
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yay! Welcome! :notworthy:
j3
Road Kill

Welcome! 8)
17.auflage
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

welcome :D
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Welcome to HL. ;D

Visiting any of the gigs?
"as we walk on the floodland"
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

welcome to the dark side of the madhouse. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

so will you be changing your name now and then ;D ;D ;D :innocent: :innocent: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MUSICA È
mh
Above the Chemist

Meat for the grinder. :twisted:

Welcome onboard! :notworthy: :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
NewbieOfMercy
Road Kill

stefan moermans wrote:welcome to the dark side of the madhouse. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

so will you be changing your name now and then ;D ;D ;D :innocent: :innocent: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Haha maybe soon!
I'm still new to The Sisters, maybe one day i'll be a fellow veteran like you guys!

I had a look at the trading forum and saw some of the test pressing threads and the price you guys pay for them on ebay, wow! That's dedication.
Wish I had that kinda money to collect that kind of thing cause it can only go up in value right?

I only happened to come across Sisters of Mercy because of people talking about them on another forum and I youtubed for a few songs and recognised a few and was instantly hooked!

How did everyone else here discover them?
I'm sure a lot of you have been fans for many many years, maybe even longer than i've been alive haha!
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Welcome Newbie. :D

I'm only 28 so your not totally surrounded by sad old goths. :innocent: :lol:

Start at the early stuff with The Sisters & work yourself all the up to the modern day full-on-rockathon we have now.

Or just watch this marvellous video & wonder if its the same band... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJkFB-YKc-I

Purp.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Dark
Underneath the Rock

23? Please, I'm 19 and joined this place years ago. You're hardly too young. :lol:
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Dark wrote:23? Please, I'm 19 and joined this place years ago. You're hardly too young. :lol:
Now I feel old. :wink:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Herzlich Wilkommen! We were all new to The Sisters once, but you know that you've truly arrived when you can listen to You Could Be The One and realise that it is the crowning glory of 100,000 years of musical development - when Stig and Ug were banging rocks together in a cave in the Rift Valley, YCBTO was what they could hear in their heads.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
eotunun
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote: - when Stig and Ug were banging rocks together in a cave in the Rift Valley, YCBTO was what they could hear in their heads.
Stig sang "Ug could be the one!" and Ug knocked him one with his club for doing so.
There is shadow under this red rock
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Pleased to make your acquaintance, I'm sure! :D

As for how I got into The Sisters: I was living in LA during the 80s, where there was this cutting-edge radio station (now sadly declined) that actually gave them airtime. I fell right over. Been coming back for more ever since... 8)

And, um, yes - that makes me one of the ancient :oops:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
NewbieOfMercy
Road Kill

Dark wrote:23? Please, I'm 19 and joined this place years ago. You're hardly too young. :lol:
Seems i'm beat on age there!
Glad that there's a good range though

Living in LA in the 80s must have been quite something!!!
I'd love to live out there some day but I fear the heat would kill me first!
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

NewbieOfMercy wrote:Living in LA in the 80s must have been quite something!!!
It was brilliant! :D
And also wrote:I'd love to live out there some day but I fear the heat would kill me first!
One of the reasons I've been steadily moving north for years... :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

7anthea7 wrote:As for how I got into The Sisters: I was living in LA during the 80s, where there was this cutting-edge radio station (now sadly declined) that actually gave them airtime. I fell right over.
Lemme guess: "This Corrosion" on KROQ? That's how I was initiated...
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

NewbieOfMercy wrote:
I'm sure a lot of you have been fans for many many years, maybe even longer than i've been alive haha!
A highschool mate gave me a listen at this dodgy tape on his walkman in 1985. Since then I never stopped listening.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Purple Light wrote:
Now I feel old. :wink:
Pass the Werther's Originals, fella :eek:
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:
NewbieOfMercy wrote:
A highschool mate gave me a listen at this dodgy tape on his walkman in 1985. Since then I never stopped listening.
similar story though it was eraly 84 ;-)
MUSICA È
Caravaggio
Road Kill

NewbieOfMercy wrote:
I discovered them, when Floodland came out and found them OK.

But then I found those cool looking, strange sounding black vinyl EPs in my local record store and was instantly in love (and I still am).
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Are sisters fans mostly old and ridiculous?

I got into them when I was 22. Now 30. No pentagram around the neck, no assless leather pants and really having serious allergic reactions when coming near a Clan of Xymox or VNV Nation cd.
guns & cars & accidents
sistereurope
Road Kill

How did I get into them?

It was when I was doing O'levels (that dates me for starters) back in 1984. I was listening to Souxsie, The Cure, Psychedelic Furs etc - which made me something of a curiosity in a predominently pro-Chris de Burgh, twinset and pearls catholic girl's boarding school - and a mate from home did me a cassette of Joy Division and Sisters. It was Alice that got me hooked!
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Run like the wind! Being a Sisters fan is one long litany of shame, upset and disappointment.

Just past my 18th year of Sisters fan(ny)dom... wouldn't change it for the world :-D
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Cyberbio
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

stefan moermans wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
NewbieOfMercy wrote:
similar story though it was eraly 84 ;-)
same here (also early ´84) - B-side was Cure´s Seventeen Seconds... hmmm :roll:
2023: Athen, London, London, Amsterdam, Utrecht, Münster, Esch-Sur-Alzette, Hannover, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, Köln, Wiesbaden, Würzburg, Stuttgart, Wien