Do you know your biblical references?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:It's my favorite :)
Actually, mine too, in the King James Version - lovely, lovely language. But enjoying reading it hasn't provoked me to memorise it...and you kind of have to, if you're going to recognise the provenance of quotations, since people will pull them from just about anywhere.

I'd rather clutter up my brain with lines memorised from Shakespeare, anyhow. Bet I'd do way better on that test... :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
sultan2075
Overbomber

Lovely language indeed, and fantastic stories. Shakespeare, of course, is wonderful (I have a book on Shakespeare and political philosophy that I have been meaning to read, but I've not gotten to it yet). I wouldn't expect these kids to have memorized it, but since they hadn't ever--any of them--come across the story, they had no idea what Locke was getting at.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

8/10.

Must try harder.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Debaser
Overbomber

EEEek, it would seem I do 9/10. Am not sure if I'm impressed or not...obviously bleaching the new house to within an inch of it's life has cleared mi tubes a bit.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

5/10 :eek:
psichonaut
Overbomber

2/10.... :eek:
....i'm atheist for a good reason :innocent: :innocent:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Selena
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:1/10.
Should have paid more attention in R.E. (....)

Same like me. :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:Lovely language indeed, and fantastic stories.
Some of the "begats" get a bit tedious. The Leviticus laws are ridiculous.

I like the gory bits in the OT; is it the first or second book of Kings where God sends two bears to rip apart a gang of kids for calling a prophet "bald-head"?

As to the NT:
Matthew is anti-Semitic, Mark is a great piece of writing (I recall reading a hypothesis that Mark was written to be performed) Luke I can never get a handle on for some reason, and I'm not overly fond of John's mysticism. Acts is just tedious. The epistles vary wildly (Paul's misogyny, the Johannine Epistles' mysticism (again), the wildly varying theology between Paul and pseudo-Paul can be amusing. I can't remember the rest.) Revelation is gibberish; whatever that guy (traditionally held to be John of Patmos IIRC) was on, I want some! :lol: I can never really understand why it was made canonical.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Mark is a great piece of writing (I recall reading a hypothesis that Mark was written to be performed) Luke I can never get a handle on for some reason
The Gospel of Mark is almost political in its language and the way Jesus is seen to challenge the authority of the time. "The chief
priests and the teachers of the law heard about this and began
looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him because the whole
crowd was amazed at his teachings."(Mark 11:18) :oops:

Luke is s**t- full of fantasy and miracles though his reading of The Good Samaritan is ace.

I remember comparing them for my GCSE and know little about the other Gospels :?
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
NewbieOfMercy
Road Kill

got a shocking 3 :lol:
it was guesswork
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:The Leviticus laws are ridiculous.
Although at least some of them were sensible for a desert culture with primitive sanitation and hygiene facilities.