Grauniad readers.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Listened to the Andrew Collins interview with Andrew Eldritch recently and was amused at :von: discussing the amount of 'Guardian readers' he sees at his gigs. :roll:

I wondered what newspapers people on Heartland read regularly :innocent:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Guilty as charged - Guardian (online), Economist (print), Esquire (because it's free), and Cosmo (because She reads it and it gives me an insight into what the Enemy is thinking).
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
silentNate

I read the Gruaniad as well as a lot of leftie press and journals for work (free). An anarchist friend used to recommend The Economist, stating that you should just disdagree with everything its says. I feel that a little simplistic as I too also enjoy it from time to time.
I had a hand on the gun
NewbieOfMercy
Road Kill

I dont bother with papers where possible, if I do, I avoid the redtops like the plague, so sometimes the guardian, usually read news online at the bbc site or tech stuff on the register.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

The Sun on a Satudray. :oops:

But only because I think they have the best sport section.

I don't even look at the rest of it. :wink:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

silentNate wrote:Listened to the Andrew Collins interview with Andrew Eldritch recently and was amused at :von: discussing the amount of 'Guardian readers' he sees at his gigs. :roll:

I wondered what newspapers people on Heartland read regularly :innocent:
Been trying to find that for a while to listen to again. Where can I get it?
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
silentNate

I had a hand on the gun
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

print = none anymore :|

online (via rss feeds) = bbc news, bbc sports, guardian news, guardian music, telegraph arts

when i used to buy print newspapers it was usually the guardian on saturday or the observer on a sunday

occasionally i used to like buying the telegraph because its a decent paper but with a tory agenda. its editorial policy challenged me and made me question why i thought the things i did.

i always found it too easy reading a paper where you nod in agreement with everything it says. it panders to you. its safe and cosy, and as a result you lose the ability to question what you think, and in time you become smug & lazy in your beliefs.

reading something that is well written but coming from a very different standpoint stimulates thought and discussion, and as a result you either become more resolute in your beliefs, or your view widens and your opinion changes subtly.

if nothing else its interesting to see how other people come to believe the things they do...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Gripper

The Times. For the sport, and the crossword. And it's great up-the-jumper material when I'm out on the bike in the winter months.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Pista
Cureboi

Don't read any print anymore either.
Online I read the bbc news & the Worthing Herald online edition.

Oh & the Framley Examiner (when they get round to updating it).

Can't abide the grauniad.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
silentNate

I studied economics for a short period and read The Times for the financial news. I have to say that the last time I read The Times was only a couple of months ago and I was shocked at how bad it was, the sections made no sense and the reviews appeared to come from some kind of BaaadDad perspective without the humour. The writing is certainly not what it used to be.

My opinions are not always The Gruaniads but it has some very witty columnists and The Guide is a must each week simply for listings. I find the Indie way too wordy for my tastes even though I miss a lot of writers who jumped ship like Mark Steel and Mark Thomas (who are both lovely in real life).
I had a hand on the gun
DeWinter

Telegraph. It's well-written and Tory-lite, so appeals to me.
Sometimes read the Mail for Peter Hitchens, but it tends to carry at least three stories a week about "travellers" for some reason. I suspect someone on the editorial team had a gypsy camp built next to his second home and got a bit upset about it..
And when I want to release anger I read Polly Toynbee. Her factual inaccuracy and Gordon Brown worship reduces me to snarling incoherence very quickly, although I'm told her affections are slowly switching to David Cameron now.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Razzle
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
silentNate

weebleswobble wrote:Razzle
Real women? Beats that fake American stuff I guess. :lol:
I had a hand on the gun
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Guilty.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:Sometimes read the Mail for Peter Hitchens,
:lol: so do I, but I read Hitchens for the same reasons you say you read Polly Toynbee. ;D

Like QB says:
i always found it too easy reading a paper where you nod in agreement with everything it says. it panders to you. its safe and cosy, and as a result you lose the ability to question what you think
The only print periodical I still read regularly is Fortean Times, and even that these days I tend to disagree with more often than I agree. e.g. in the latest, Patrick Harpur giving a disjointed critique of (his straw-man version of) evolution.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
silentNate

I'm embarassed to be on a website with someone who reads the Fortean Times. I think I have more respect for the Razzle reader, sorry. :lol:
I had a hand on the gun
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

What? Why?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

The Sun for latest insights into Jade et al. The Indy when I have time, but it's getting very expensive and Private Eye :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I got tired of Private Eye thoughtlessly repeating the "vaccines cause autism" lie so I cancelled my subscription.
—Bertrand Russell
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I read Bizarre Magazine. I think its great. Lots of strange & often disturbing happenings reported on from round the world.

Nothing to do with the numerous pictures of large chested women that are in the mag or anything though... :innocent: