Paris Bataclan / March 7, 2009

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
meat is murder
Road Kill

amazing concert!
so much better than the two brussels concerts i saw, great atmosphere, enthusiastic audience, excellent sound, lots of smoke & good lighting, andrew's voice was right there where it needed to be and in general the band is just so incredibly tight.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

doctoravalanche wrote:I also a have a very nice video shot from the balcony, unfortunately it stopped during the encores (I really need to buy a second battery).

There was a funny scene during the show, indeed the floor was very wet (don't know what happened) and Andrew did some housework during two songs (Train and Alice) on the stage with towels, and finally they put a carpet, maybe he could have introduced Kiss The Carpet at this moment ;)
LOL - I hope this happened before the battery died :lol: :notworthy:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:
doctoravalanche wrote:I also a have a very nice video shot from the balcony, unfortunately it stopped during the encores (I really need to buy a second battery).

There was a funny scene during the show, indeed the floor was very wet (don't know what happened) and Andrew did some housework during two songs (Train and Alice) on the stage with towels, and finally they put a carpet, maybe he could have introduced Kiss The Carpet at this moment ;)
PIX!!
guns & cars & accidents
Badlander
Overbomber

An amazing show, much better than the last one in Paris three years ago. Nice venue, and the crowd was really into it. Not even half as much moaning as there was last time (maybe the moaners are gone for good now !). Too bad there was this problem during Susanne. An incredible Flood 2.
And maybe smoking bans have something good in them, since Uncle Eldo's voice is much clearer than it's been for years. :P
Too bad there was only one HL t-shirt in the whole crowd and it was mine ! But I was really happy to see Zeno, Koen, Andrew S, Eva, Tuco, Sentenza... Nice touch at the end, I shook hands with Chris, who is such a sweet guy.
If they play some festivals this summer, I'm definitely going to see them ! :D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
_emma_
Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:

Oh yes I wanna see it too, please! ;D I bet he wipes the floor with the same graceful charm as when he grabs the mikestand.
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

He does indeed ;D
You will have the opportunity to see that soon !!!!
Badlander
Overbomber

doctoravalanche wrote:He does indeed ;D
You will have the opportunity to see that soon !!!!
You're a star, Laurent ! :D :notworthy:
splintered thing

We are still travelling around - only have the mini eeePC, so no editing facilities at the mo. Mr Splintered thing took loads of piccies and videos - once we are home I will upload some for all.
I thought this gig had SENSATIONAL atmosphere ;D - should have been another encore in my opinion - we made SO much noise!! :lol: I thought it was absolutely on par with Brussels, though it was a bit shorter here. I would love to have heard Neverland too.
Loved the tour bus, very groovy parked out the front.
Sorry again for not saying hi to everyone, sorry if I elbowed anyone too...we were front/second row and right of stage. BTW - there was a leak in the ceiling that caused the stage to flood (how apt) that is why Andy did some housework at the start of the show.
Back to London tomorrow... will post piccies asap.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Badlander
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:should have been another encore in my opinion - we made SO much noise!! :lol:
My thoughts exactly. The crowd deserved something special (Sister Ray, eh, Zeno ?) as a sort of reward. Oh well, maybe next time ! :lol:
My vote for the next Paris show goes to Nine while nine. ;D
If not, SKOS is an acceptable second choice. :innocent:
Everybody told me "If you only go to one show this year, this one is the one you ought to see !" Well I'm so glad I was there. ;D
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Isn't that a great sight :lol:

An absolutely classic gig! Fantastic, mental audience, superb venue, nice drinks, great people all around, need I say more :D

And to finish a goth weekend the only thing we went to see in Paris was Père Lachaise :lol: (which was nice apart from the rain)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
sentenza
Amphetamine Filth

Just back home.This was F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C!!
Thanks Ben and Chris signing autographs and take a photo with me as if I was a 16'groupie.Greets to all of you that I met Eva, Eggi (have a nice trip around the world..), Jenzi-Benzi, Christophe, radiojamaica, Andrew S, Badlander...The atmosphere was so great, the music and the voice too .One of the best gig we've seen Tuco and I so far.
Gonna sleep, I'm a bit tired.But so happy.
"this is the revenge of the fuckwit"
Badlander
Overbomber

sentenza wrote:Just back home.This was F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C!!
Thanks Ben and Chris signing autographs and take a photo with me as if I was a 16'groupie.Greets to all of you that I met Eva, Eggi (have a nice trip around the world..), Jenzi-Benzi, Christophe, radiojamaica, Andrew S, Badlander...The atmosphere was so great, the music and the voice too .One of the best gig we've seen Tuco and I so far.
Gonna sleep, I'm a bit tired.But so happy.
See you next time in Carhaix ! :wink:
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

I'm not a regular poster on here, but I'll add my brief comment and say Paris was a fantastic gig; good crowd, great set and the band was on top form. There was also generous amounts of smoke and the lights were stunning. A rare trip to Paris enlivened by lots of fun afterwards with everyone.

Anyway, I'll share two photos.

I've uploaded more at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59399561@N ... 976911390/

Roll on Leeds, which will be my 50th Sisters gig.

Alexander
Groningen - Gent - Eindhoven - Lokerese Feesten
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

lex3000 wrote:Roll on Leeds, which will be my 50th Sisters gig.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nice photos, BTW :)
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the pics! Very nice! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Got back from Paris last night after a fantastic weekend.

About the gig, first off I thought it was excellent. I hadn't seen the Sisters since they played the Red Box in 1997 in Dublin, and so I don't really have the ability to compare the show to others they've played on this tour or even over the last few years. I do listen to A LOT of bootlegs though. I was blown away by how much better the band are in person then they are on the live recordings I've heard. There's a dynamic missing in the bootlegs, and there's a lot of on stage interaction that just doesn't translate. As others have said, the sound was amazing, the lights spectacular and the fog ridiculous. I loved it.

I actually arrived late - the tickets said doors were open at 7.30pm so myself and the missus went out for dinner, sank a bottle of bordeaux and pitched up in a taxi at around 8.15 to find the support were already over and the band were in the middle of detonation boulevard!! We rushed in to the venue to find the place absolutely heaving with people - completely jammed from top to bottom, and my first thought was f**k, I won't be able to see anything now. However, we were able to squeeze our way down the side stage left and got to the second row, about ten feet from Ben! I couldn't believe it - I actually had space to dance and shout lyrics out.

I found the crowd at this gig kind of funny - there were lots of very serious looking people standing passively watching this amazing gig. at least at the start of the night. Too-cool-for-school, but actually kind of sad to me. My wife, who had seen the sisters once before as the Speed Kings in the Boxing Club in Drogheda in 1991, was perplexed - why was nobody dancing? As the gig progressed the crowd loosened up and in particular there were some fun people around us. The place started going nuts and in particular the mosh pit looked pretty hardcore, with lots of people going mental and getting lots of attention from Von, who kept gesturing at them, and counting beats down with his fingers to the sing along bits. He looked to me like a man having lots and lots of fun. Some guys started trying to crowd surf but the otherwise unintrusive security staff got quite excited about that, so they stopped.

Ben was also a bit of a revelation to me - I frankly was more of a Chris fan, as he seems a bit more charasmatic, but I was blown away by just how good a guitarist Ben is. I was really close to him and watched him play and he didn't seem to hit a bum note for the entire night - he carries a lot of the tunes and is a great addition to the band. As someone else pointed out, someone went wrong with his guitar on Suzanne, with the result that Chris and Von played the song with no lead over it. It sounded interesting, and should be a bootleg novelty - I liked it.

When the smoke cleared every now and again, I could also see the nurse at the back of the stage manning the Doctor - so there was four people on stage. Musical highlights for me were Floorshow, Temple, Lucretia, First, Last and Always, and Arms, all of which sounded great. Von was also howling like a spirit possesed, and making the oddest facial expressions to go with it. Epic!

My wife, who isn't really a major fan, and hence is a lot less biased than me, thought it was an excellent show and in particular asked me if Von was miming? He obviously wasn't, but she thought the sound was so good, it was suspicious! She was also impressed by Ben and thought the band were incredibly tight and very very far from a nostalgia act. (Althought the same can't be said for a certain portion of the crowd!)

The gig was over pretty early, we were out of there by about 10:15pm, but overall, I couldn't fault the night - anyone else thinking of going on this tour - get your arse out there, it's not to be missed - but don't do what we did and miss the beginning.
Do I drive or am I driven?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the reviews and pics. Nice!
"as we walk on the floodland"
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Wonderful review, Arrrgh!

Good what you write about live recordings vs. concerts, agree completely and "jerking off vs. having sex" comes to mind :wink:

I should have been in Paris...but I think next time they should make a proper France tour, playing more pleasant cities like Lille, Strasbourg, Lyon, Montpellier or Toulouse - Paris is nice to look at but can be very annoying.

Sad that this band has always underestimated France, but better come to the right conclusion late than never :)
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote:
lex3000 wrote:Roll on Leeds, which will be my 50th Sisters gig.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nice photos, BTW :)
Seems I got it wrong, Paris was gig number 50. I'm still a long way behind the likes of Andrew S and Scardwel, and Pete, Marge and Spencer and some others from Dominion.

It's good to see such positive reviews and everyone's photos from the gigs. There's a real enthusiasm about the band at the moment, despite the odd reviewer questioning whether the guitarists are actually playing live...

Alexander
Groningen - Gent - Eindhoven - Lokerese Feesten
doctoravalanche

Here is the version of Suzanne with only Chris on the guitars, as Ben was away with some problems:

http://mtronic.free.fr/10-Suzanne.mp3

And also another present Afterhours / Crash And Burn:

http://mtronic.free.fr/02-Crash%20And%20Burn.mp3
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for this Doctoravalanche! Any chance of posting the whole show?

I was also at the show, and really loved it. Way better than the Zenith last year, Von being more "into it" this time.

Not too impressed with the new version of Floorshow, though.

I went to the concert with my daughter Alice (^^) and she also loved it and was soooooo happy to hear Alice live !
neardark
Road Kill

Just come back from Paris.
The concert was really great, very good, fantastic show. The concert, audience, sound, band, all was perfect. I really enjoyed myself and so did everybody.

Nice to meet any heartlanders!!!!

Looking forward the Spanish tour!!

Domingo.
2011...on road again...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

thanks for mp3 doctoravalanche :notworthy:
I've been looking forward to listening this version of Susanne :D
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

a review in french

use google translater