Headphones: noise cancelling or sound isolation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I never leave home without earplugs.

They cost a mere 25 euro, a small price for protecting your ears.

People pay more per year to get rid of a simple cold, so sometimes I fail to understand why people won't buy and wear earplugs. They wear them to listen to music, so why not wear them to protect your ears?

They even come in fancy party colors nowadays.

Ah, enough whining, you know my opinion now, I think ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:They even come in fancy party colors nowadays.
Back when they might have done me some good, they were really difficult to find, and when they could be found, I couldn't use them because they couldn't be made small enough to fit my ears - all those lovely, soft, party-coloured, tapered-to-fit things were still in the future. There also wasn't yet a generation that had wrecked their hearing - I was part of that generation, and we were all still young, immortal, and not yet afflicted with the eternal buzz; the damage didn't show up for another 20 years.

And who was going to listen to all those quacks who were the same ones said smoking pot led to heroin addiction, anyway? :wink:

I suppose that now, even though it's a futile undertaking in my own case, I ought to be doing it as a good example - but I also know that every generation considers itself bullet-proof for a certain number of years, and my chances of influencing them are next to nil. :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

7anthea7 wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:They even come in fancy party colors nowadays.
Back when they might have done me some good, they were really difficult to find, and when they could be found, I couldn't use them because they couldn't be made small enough to fit my ears - all those lovely, soft, party-coloured, tapered-to-fit things were still in the future. There also wasn't yet a generation that had wrecked their hearing - I was part of that generation, and we were all still young, immortal, and not yet afflicted with the eternal buzz; the damage didn't show up for another 20 years.

And who was going to listen to all those quacks who were the same ones said smoking pot led to heroin addiction, anyway? :wink:

I suppose that now, even though it's a futile undertaking in my own case, I ought to be doing it as a good example - but I also know that every generation considers itself bullet-proof for a certain number of years, and my chances of influencing them are next to nil. :(
Well, it's a bit like my very own small crusade, something I want to do for Generation Next, I suppose...

Noise Pollution Awareness.

Earbuds and Loudness wars are just an example.

My music is another one ;) It may sound like noise, but at least it's noise that won't damage your ears ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

I love loud music and haven't suffered (yet) in the past 40 years. However, I do not intend to listen to music at maximum volume, and that's exactly why I wanted new headphones. Good ones allow me to listen at low volume, cause they keep the general noise away. :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I'm not very in to these small in-ear thingys (love my huge micky-mouse-ear-generating AKG's^^) but if I had these on my wishlist I would take care to choose something that doesn't seal your ear canal completely because some ventilation is important to ensure a good wearing comfort.