09.04.2009 - London

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
7anthea7 wrote:
Pista wrote:was Seattle that bad really?
No - who said it was? :evil:
Well, I have heard a recording & Von doesn't even feature really.
It was a pretty bad situation for recording - too many people jammed into a very small room. I have no idea what it was like anywhere but where I was (as noted previously: dead front and centre, on the barricade), although neither did I hear any complaints, during or after.

Then again, perhaps my relief that it was such an improvement over Silver Bullet warped my aural perceptions somewhat... ;)
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
lachert
Overbomber

all that duality between opinions from sisters gigs is simple.
beware!
i'm 1000% sure that there's a group of heartlanders sponsoring by band with backstage passes, free drinks, free groupies etc. which is obligated to say that show was great, nothing wrong with sound etc. for all that goodies.
just think about it and you'll see that it's true :innocent: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
_emma_
Overbomber

Pista wrote:You first time posters should take a look around before you you scream blue murder (welcome BTW).
Exactly. And again I can apologise if anybody felt offended by my comments, because I really don't like to get in arguments like that, but this is not the first time that after a gig in a big city new users appear like daisies after a spring rain and enter the place for the first time only to say: "Hi, these curtains look dirty, and this old wardrobe should be thrown away, don't you think?"
I believe that criticising anybody for anything is a genuinly negative thing to do. (Which is why I refrain from posting my comments in "sisters lunatic asylum" threads, for example). And for this reason, I believe it should be balanced every time by the same amount of positive feedback, just to keep the universe in harmony. I do not like people who like to criticise, and I can't keep quiet about it, sorry, end of story.
Pista wrote:But talking to Scardwell & Andrew S in Budapest last Friday, they were both at the Krakow show & Scardwell said the sound was awful & Andrew said the complete opposite.
Was Andrew S really at the Kraków show, or is my memory playing tricks on me? :lol: Or maybe you mean jenzi-benzi because it was the same with myself and jenzi-benzi: after the Kraków gig I said the sound was absolutely awful, whereas Jenzi said it was a great gig and he could hear everything clearly, and had great time together with some other people who were standing near him. :? :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

Sure it was Krakow, but the palinka might have played a trick on me :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
tower
Road Kill

I was near the front next to the right hand speaker and was really pleased with the sound at first. Then his voice dissipated then came back.. but we all knew that was going to happen. Thought they were far better than last time i saw them, a few years ago at Rock City. Ok they have gone a bit cock rock and there is the sound mix thing but its the SISTERS! Still moments of magic!

Von looked like he enjoyed it ( quite unnerving seeing him smile ) too.

I went expecting crap, hoping for a miracle and got something in between.

Even saw Richie V ern in the pub beforehand :innocent:
tower
Road Kill

oh yeah, while not bothered with the raging debate thats going on, i thought they murdered This Corrosion, Flood 11 was awesome and like the new Lucretia arrangement.
Pista
Cureboi

Flood 11 ?
New song? :eek:

:innocent: :wink: ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
tower
Road Kill

Pista wrote:Flood 11 ?
New song? :eek:

:innocent: :wink: ;D
Stop that :D i was being all goff 8)

oh yeah forgot to say, when did dokter avalanche turn into an extra from lord of the rings????
tower
Road Kill

When i first saw him i thought they had got Brian Blessed in to do the vocals ;D
Ghostdance
Road Kill

tower wrote:When i first saw him i thought they had got Brian Blessed in to do the vocals ;D
I thought i was watching BON Jovi with those bouncing guitarists :lol:

:notworthy: We love the Sisters ... :wink: :wink:
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

It's interesting to read the range of views on the last two gigs to get a proper sense of perspective on the performance. I've lost all objectivity having been to so many now so I find myself having a great time but sometimes unsure as to whether it was actually any good.

I never really notice the quality of the sound only whether or not it's loud enough and I don't think it was at either Leeds or London. However, if it sounded terrible to a lot of people then perhaps turning it up to 11 isn't going to improve things. The setlist held no surprises, but it didn't detract from a great performance.

It was good to see so many people again, and special mention to the two South Africans who came over just for the gig. That's commitment.

I left with a lot of bruises and an inprint of Maisey's boot on my shoulder. All in all, signs of a good night out.

Alexander
Groningen - Gent - Eindhoven - Lokerese Feesten
CyberAndy
Road Kill

As EVER with The Sisters massive debate rages ...

I think MANY things can influence your thoughts/opinions on any Gig ; eg. 2 people I know who both like The Cure went last year to see them in London. One said it was the best Gig they'd ever been to - the other said it was awful !!!!

I have seen The Sisters on lots of occasions over the years. Probably the 'Black October' Tour was my favourite.
I was at The Royal Albert Hall and have to say at the time I didn't think it was great.

I saw them in 2000 at Rock City, thought they were DIRE and said I'd not go again until they released a New Album ....

Since then I've resisted and heard from friends / on Forums who have gone that they've been rubbish.

I went to The Forum tbh expecting little and thinking it REALLY would probably be the last time ...
HOWEVER - I TOTALLY enjoyed it :D
I was pretty near the front and from there it sounded OK.
I thought they played a pretty good mix of songs that mainly sounded great - yeah, they KILLED one of my real favs 'This Corrosion' - but hey ....

Von seemed to be enjoying it to me and his voice was a LOT better than I'd been expecting !!!!

I will DEF. be there next time ... :D
It's A Black Planet ....
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Umph!

Excellent night out that was! Remember f**k all about sound quality, setlist and whatever more but - as per usual - you lot were fantastic :notworthy: Quite surprised to hear there's this much complaints as every time I looked over my shoulder (or was made to turn my head he other way round for that matter :lol:) I saw everybody's hands up and people shaking, even on the balcony. But it seems that's my impression every time I go to Sisters gigs :wink: Loved the activity at the front during all of the gig, the support seemed nice too, I remember shouting something vaguely reminiscent of a chorus in his mic :lol:

Great meeting familiar and unfamiliar faces indeed, would've loved to have shaked hands with even more of you or to have had a slightly longer talk with the ones I did talk to but there will be a next time no doubt :D You were all fantastic :notworthy:

Extra thanks obviously go out to my fantastic host, Darryl who made sure this became a fantastic adventure involving lots of fantastic Japanese foodstuffs amongst others :D :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
lob
Road Kill

My first time here and Thursday was my first Sisters gig, I came to the band and this site because of Chris Catalyst - having admired the Eureka Machines and the work he has done with Ginger etc for a long time. I have been on various Band Forums and my regular visits to the Wildhearts web pages had sort of accustomed me to the less than positive attitude some band followers have BUT nothing had prepared me for the vitriol some of you guys drip!

I saw a fantastic gig on Thursday, sure a few things could have been better if I wanted to be fussy but I don't want to be, I want to be uplifted - and I was, I want to be entertained and I was and I want to see something special and I am sure I did see something pretty f**king special.

Come on guys - it was a damn good night out........nuff said, probably won't post again
James Blast
Banned

It's about the night out these days, not the gig.
Some twits will accept bad sound with a dull set and go home on a high.
Who am I to complain, we get what we deserve and I deserve toast and Marmiteâ„¢ :D

and I shall have toast and Marmiteâ„¢ Damn Ye! ;D

I now have toast and Marmiteâ„¢ :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

lob wrote:...nothing had prepared me for the vitriol some of you guys drip!
Please note that this is...not the usual. Seriously. Check post counts.
And also wrote:nuff said, probably won't post again
:(

Give it a chance. If you read the threads for the various gigs, you'll find that, although there are some complaints about sound problems, there's virtually NO dissing of the band. That is apparently a UK phenomenon.

(Oh feck, I hope this s**t doesn't get back to Chris... :| )
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

I don't understand how people could diss the band itself. Chris is a breath of fresh air and the best guitarist I think The isters have had. But the sound on Thursday was not great : not enough geetars, not enough vocals.
CyberAndy
Road Kill

Does anyone know the exact Set List from The Forum ???
It's A Black Planet ....
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

CyberAndy wrote:Does anyone know the exact Set List from The Forum ???
Crash & BUrn
Ribbons
Train/Detonation Boulevard
Alice Flood 1
Anaconda
Marian
Suzanne
Arms
Giving Ground :notworthy:
Dominion
Summer
FALAA
This Corrosion
Flood 2
Romeo Down :x
Vision Thing
Lucretia
Top Nite Out
Temple Of Love

I may be incorrect however :oops:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
CyberAndy
Road Kill

Looks about right from what I remember :lol:
It's A Black Planet ....
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

markreed wrote:I don't understand how people could diss the band itself. Chris is a breath of fresh air and the best guitarist I think The isters have had. But the sound on Thursday was not great : not enough geetars, not enough vocals.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts entirely. I don't think it's dripping vitriol to say that the sound mix was poor, particularly if one was up in the gallery, it's simply fair comment.

What I fail to understand is how there can even be a debate about the sound quality of Sisters gigs, I go to plenty of gigs by other bands and this is never an issue -- the fact that it is often a point of debate amongst Sisters fans is concerning.

I know they are not to everyone's taste around here, but I saw White Lies the other day and sound quality was excellent, and going to see The Prodigy next week and I can bet that no-one will complain about quality of sound -- i.e. that entire channels are missing from the mix if one is located in a certain part of the venue.
silentNate

OnlineSince1984 wrote:I go to plenty of gigs by other bands and this is never an issue
Erm... Went to see Iron Maiden at Twickenham with wife and her family and the sound was appalling. From where we were sitting a lot of the treble was missing.
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

silentNate wrote:
OnlineSince1984 wrote:I go to plenty of gigs by other bands and this is never an issue
Erm... Went to see Iron Maiden at Twickenham with wife and her family and the sound was appalling. From where we were sitting a lot of the treble was missing.
LOL, okay ... guess it depends on the band and their sound engineers (or lack of them) ;)

Still, I enjoyed the flashing lights ... but unfortunately it wasn't enough.
hellboy69

Think there was a smidge of Neverland in there before Romeo Down...
silentNate wrote: Crash & BUrn
Ribbons
Train/Detonation Boulevard
Alice Flood 1
Anaconda
Marian
Suzanne
Arms
Giving Ground :notworthy:
Dominion
Summer
FALAA
This Corrosion
Flood 2
Neverland (Fragment) / Romeo Down :x
Vision Thing
Lucretia
Top Nite Out
Temple Of Love
James Blast wrote:It's about the night out these days, not the gig.
Some twits will accept bad sound with a dull set and go home on a high.
I feel it's been this way for a long time now (for me personally since 2003). With boozages and good friends and ears near the PA it was a great night out. I deserved tequila, so I had mucho tequila (yes, like a twit) and went home on a high :lol:

Few pics:
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Well couple of days later and the post-gig buzz dying down, I'd put it in perspective and say yeah, good energy, great lights but FFS get a sound engineer.. I actually wanted to hear Von singing, not the audience and even if I was somewhat pharmaceutically altered I can still tell that it was in need of urgent attention..

I gave them the benefit of the doubt at Astoria last time since that was a shlthole of a venue anyway, but seen what Skinny Puppy and Ministry have done with regards to performances at the Forum, I'm sure it definitely isn't down to the acoustics of the venue.

Anyways kudos to Andrew S for racking up his 100th, and apologies to Eva for having to put up with 95lbs of tanked up Scotsman bouncing around beside her (though I was most of the time trying to stop myself being consumed by the pit.. :P ) And a hell-air to all the other HL'rs I met but can't quite remember..

OK, not being heretical.. but maybe, just maybe Eldritch has got to figure that his vocal cords ain't what they used to be 20 years ago and adapt his delivery to suit..Using Skinny Puppy as an example again, compare their live stuff circa 87 to present and the vocals are like night and day but they still work, in a different way.. It does pain me that they've gone this way, but then again I consider their opus to be around 92/93.. (I write this listening to a bootleg of the NEC gig in 93, thinking.. my... what a band..)
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries