Tech support needed - possible memory issues?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

This started from basically when I came back to Lincoln.
More during evening/night than any other time, Opera will just stop responding. Or MSN will. And their processes cannot be terminated from Task Manager (hitting End Task does nothing).
Sometimes if I hit the X to close the unresponsive program, it will eventually close after spending up to 5 minutes trying to "find a solution".
After a few attempts at this, a shutdown is about all I can really do.
I've scanned for spyware, viruses, etc, and done a registry cleanup. I have no system restore points from beyond last Friday, so that's of limited use.

My initial thought was just the router here f**king up my connections, but I can't see why it would. Then perhaps the memory is getting worn out? Or the HD?

Anyone got any suggestions which aren't "get a Mac"?
aims
Overbomber

To rule out memory, run memtest86.

Failing that, save everything non-executable you've got and do a fresh install.
eotunun
Overbomber

If the memory is okay try a different browser, I had similar issues with Opera under Linux. An update helped a lot here. Widgets seemed to have been involved in the issue as well. Opera rocks, but I still think that Firefox beats it.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Firefox has memory-leak problems too AFAIK

If you do have to wipe and re-install, maybe go for a linux rather than windows?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Maybe leave Task Manager open all evening and see if there are any CPU or memory spikes during the slowdown? Also, does it affect any other apps or is it just these two?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

my old pc used to have similar issues which i traced to some cheap memory i added

i took it out and it was fine... i added some more expensive branded ram (from crucial) back into it instead and it was fine after that
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Firefox has memory-leak problems too AFAIK

If you do have to wipe and re-install, maybe go for a linux rather than windows?
I thought about it.. but I can't really see any advantages to doing so.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Just for a change (?) I totally agree here (!) ...

Mark is right - Perhaps when you have the time and/or inclination give Linux and Firefox a try, eh? Linux is much more secure and stable than M$ Windoze, no viruses to worry about and no BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) either (:lol:). Both Linux and FF are FREE with lots of online help and support. Mint or Ubuntu are good places to start. I settled with Mint because it suits my hardware - Two large HDDs, 28" Widescreen, Creative Labs Soundcard, Logitech Speakers, Logitech Trackball, HP Scanner & Printer etc. It may not suit your hardware, especially if you have an ATI Video/Graphics Card, but this can be 'rectified' with a cheap 6200 series Nvidia card. It does take a little time to 'get used' to Linux, so be patient, but a 'bright spark' like you will 'grasp it' in no time I'm certain. If a twit like me can do it, anyone can ... You can install whichever version of Linux you like to 'Dual Boot', so you can keep Windoze and your favourite applications, whilst you are 'learning', so nothing is lost.

Go on give it a try, eh? Linux is the future, with Minty Freshness!

:wink:
“Pension. Pay given to a state hireling for treason to his country.�
Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Yep - I put up with 'em daily. :| Mozilla stopped providing updates for the version I use (2.0.0.20, running on Mac OS X version 10.3.9), which means that I'm constantly having to force-quit Firefox. After I get about 6 browser tabs going - especially sites with image-heavy content - it starts "chugging" badly. :cry: :evil:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm sticking Linux Mint on my new laptop when it arrives. (Tomorrow hopefully!)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eotunun
Overbomber

You can fix that by deleteing the cache from time to time. That should work under the Extras/delete private data button. Don't delete the cookies though, you'll log yourself out off all open Email accounts in the browser or forums-Which would be a terrible terrible thing. :wink: ;D
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

SINsister wrote:
Yep - I put up with 'em daily. :| Mozilla stopped providing updates for the version I use (2.0.0.20, running on Mac OS X version 10.3.9), which means that I'm constantly having to force-quit Firefox. After I get about 6 browser tabs going - especially sites with image-heavy content - it starts "chugging" badly. :cry: :evil:
Is there a reason you can't update to FF3? It runs on my Mac and I'm on 10.3.something IIRC...
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

check the event viever - it's located inside the "computer management"

You should find some more detail informations about what is causing these hang ups.

[/url]
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

eotunun wrote:You can fix that by deleteing the cache from time to time. That should work under the Extras/delete private data button. Don't delete the cookies though, you'll log yourself out off all open Email accounts in the browser or forums-Which would be a terrible terrible thing. :wink: ;D
Use CookieCuller for that, you can ask it to remember the cookies you want whilst wiping all the rest. Just the way I like it :D But aye, FF is a bit dodgy at times, often it crashes when I quit it or when I switch/pause tracks via FoxyTunes etc...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
SINsister wrote:
Is there a reason you can't update to FF3? It runs on my Mac and I'm on 10.3.something IIRC...
Prolly the same reason I can't - unsupported OS. :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
mh
Above the Chemist

I gave up on FF3 on account of performance issues, it just seriously crawled on an older single core machine. :(

Still looking for a halfway decent browser, almost tempted to give IE8 a go, I really liked what I saw of it on the Windows 7 beta, but I've since heard bad things.

Linux is one of those things I flirt with every year or so, but which never really takes off. I use too many apps on a fairly regular basis which are Windows only, with no real serious alternatives in the Linux world. At the end of the day it's about the apps rather than the OS, isn't it?

None of which fixes the probs Korin is having, though. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i dont use it regularly myself but opera is pretty lightweight :idea:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Could be a hard drive problem. I've seen this sort of thing days before a HDD gives up and dies. So you might want to back up.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

markfiend wrote:I'm sticking Linux Mint on my new laptop when it arrives. (Tomorrow hopefully!)
Wise choice Matey! - FF3 should 'cruise along nicely' with Minty Freshness!
- I can have as many Tabs open as I want, and loads of other applications too, with no problemos on any of my (Linux) pooters
- Even on an old IBM Thinkpad X40 Laptop
- Running Mint Felicia too of course!

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I am currently posting from my new laptop running Linux Mint.

Set up is incredibly easy, even WiFi! :notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

talking about linux:

I've ubuntu running on another machine and I can't set up a proper text display. OpenOffice, Firefox, Desktop symbols - every letter letter looks more or less awfully interpolated even with misc. recommended settings I've found at some support forums (sub-pixels etc...).

Here's a demonstration of the issue:

http://www.easylinux.de/Artikel/ausgabe ... office.png

All these features are shurely no bugs^^ buuut they looks awful to me (like M$ cleartype). All I expect is simple, non-enhanced but sharp text. Is there any distribution able to handle that "out of the box"?
mh
Above the Chemist

Reversing the steps in this should do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/e ... ntu-linux/

Hmmmm - imagine asking my granny to do that? Well she couldn't cos she's dead this 20 odd years, but you know what I mean.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

markfiend wrote:I am currently posting from my new laptop running Linux Mint.

Set up is incredibly easy, even WiFi! :notworthy:
:D & :wink:
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

DocSommer wrote:talking about linux:

I've ubuntu running on another machine and I can't set up a proper text display. OpenOffice, Firefox, Desktop symbols - every letter letter looks more or less awfully interpolated even with misc. recommended settings I've found at some support forums (sub-pixels etc...).

Here's a demonstration of the issue:

http://www.easylinux.de/Artikel/ausgabe ... office.png

All these features are shurely no bugs^^ buuut they looks awful to me (like M$ cleartype). All I expect is simple, non-enhanced but sharp text. Is there any distribution able to handle that "out of the box"?
Sorry to hear about this - I too had lots of problems when I started using Lovely Linux - Firstly ATI Graphics/Video Cards (Aaaarrrgggh!), but also Ubuntu didn't suit my hardware especially well - Notably Widescreen Monitors, so I switched to Mint & 'Hey Presto'! - There are lots of 'Distros' out there, usually one finds one to suit? - Keep trying, eh?
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Reversing the steps in this should do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/e ... ntu-linux/

Hmmmm - imagine asking my granny to do that? Well she couldn't cos she's dead this 20 odd years, but you know what I mean.
:lol: thanks - I'll give it a shot tomorrow