Dominion Mailing List

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

Did anyone else here used to subscribe? Read the occasional pronouncement from Bax Corp.

It was good at the beginning but soon got full of crap, but my memory is going ... when did it start?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

still going, very rarely read or interact now...
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
eotunun
Overbomber

Dominion is about as old as possible I remember, it must have started when the first die-hard Sisters fan bumped into the possibillity of email lists. 1989 I think Pete said?
There is shadow under this red rock
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

1989? Nah! Most people couldn't even send email across service providers from AOL to CompuServe in those days, commercial internet didn't start in UK until Demon Internet launched it in 1992.

I remember it was mid-90s, maybe it was early-90s?
mh
Above the Chemist

I was on it in 90/91 for certain, and been on and off since then. Currently on, but don't really pay much attention.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I've subscribed to the list for years,but never actually posted on it.If you want to know what you're not missing,todays bulletin was seven different posts about why Von is bald.
Opened,glimpsed,deleted.So I cannot give you the highlights I'm afraid.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
lachert
Overbomber

i signed out during silver bullet. i received 50 emails per day about nothing :urff:
long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: Currently on, but don't really pay much attention.
Ditto. Waste of time, mostly, although I occasionally find myself forced to say something - like when someone was implying that :von: had a heroin habit... :roll:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

mh wrote:I was on it in 90/91 for certain
Wow, pre- mass market ISP days by a couple of years!

So were you getting it through CompuServe, AOL, CIX, or through a university email account or suchlike? Or a BBS even?
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

I wouldn't bother with it. I once got 90 e-mails from Dominion and assumed that either someone had died or a new album was out. Turned out to be a massive argument over nothing in particular :roll:
Big Si
School Bully

And flame wars against HL and it's members :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
lachert
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:And flame wars against HL and it's members :|
yeah, that was really unwise :innocent:
the ony positive thing i've got from dominion was three covers of guy called himself sisterhood u.s. (will i dream, suzanne and war on drugs). perfect work ;D it was on some midis or something but vocals was so cool ;D anyone know is he made something more?
long live rock'n'roll
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

Perki wrote:I wouldn't bother with it.
Agreed, but once, back in the early days of the internet, before the WWW, it was the kind of place that tSoM fans met online. And one day, Chairman Bax of Bax Corp started posting to it, whoever they were.
Perki wrote:I once got 90 e-mails from Dominion and assumed that either someone had died or a new album was out. Turned out to be a massive argument over nothing in particular :roll:
Which was exactly why I stopped subscribing back in the late 90s -- which I've just realised was a decade ago :cry:

I am amazed that it's still going, and why I was interested in finding out if anyone knew when it started.
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Tried to sign up to Dominion originally and ended up at Heartland.
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
mh
Above the Chemist

OnlineSince1984 wrote:
mh wrote:I was on it in 90/91 for certain
Wow, pre- mass market ISP days by a couple of years!

So were you getting it through CompuServe, AOL, CIX, or through a university email account or suchlike? Or a BBS even?
Yeah, university email. I think it had been going for a few months before I found it. There's a huge online archive and a history of it somewhere. It's all pretty vague and hazy after so long though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I signed out about 5 years ago because of the crap.
"as we walk on the floodland"
eotunun
Overbomber

If I'm not mistaken Heartland mainly was intended to be vessel for all the off-topic talk on Dominion.
As it turns out, one can go past the off-topic talk on the forum while on that mailing list one has to dig through all the blurp. Somehow Dominion still belongs to having the full set of channels available, but it's not as handy as the structured and moderated Forum.
There is shadow under this red rock
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Still get it, have been getting it for many moons. Occasionally it gives me a giggle or a sad smile, but rarely any really exciting news.

There are some LOVELY people on the list though! :)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Being645
Above the Chemist

splintered thing wrote:Still get it, have been getting it for many moons. Occasionally it gives me a giggle or a sad smile, but rarely any really exciting news.

There are some LOVELY people on the list though! :)
Exactly, I've joined it some time ago.
I hardly ever post to it, since I 've nothing much to add to most
of the issues discussed there. And within it's loose mail in - mail out structure it doesn't offer all too many opportunities to really get into it.
One might cruise their large archives, though. And there are - apart from a few HLs - some nice people there as well.

Obviously, there have been some disagreements between HL and Dominion ... I don't know what it was about ...
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote:
mh wrote: Currently on, but don't really pay much attention.
Ditto. Waste of time, mostly, although I occasionally find myself forced to say something - like when someone was implying that :von: had a heroin habit... :roll:
i picked up on that comment on Dominion and asked the question, and was glad for your reply!! :D
Being645
Above the Chemist

I saw that post as well ... and your being after it ...
It was so obviously a mare that I thought ignoring it the best strategy.
Heaven knows what drives such people ... jealousy, envy or revenge I guess.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: Heaven knows what drives such people ... jealousy, envy or revenge I guess.
my vote's on complete lack of brain cells. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Being645
Above the Chemist

LouLou wrote:
my vote's on complete lack of brain cells. :evil: :evil: :evil:
:lol:
I basically agree, but ... it takes at least a little brain cell activity :idea: to think up even such poor, say, responses.
Less though, than one might need to reject upcoming :evil: affects ...
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

i wasn't a HL peeps then (or whatever i would call myself!) and saw a comment about heroin. i was shocked i must admit and hence asked the innocent question. a couple of freindly HL'ers put me right!! apparently the person read something here but i have never seen anything even hinting at heroin. i didn't mean any harm in asking :oops:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

eotunun wrote:If I'm not mistaken Heartland mainly was intended to be vessel for all the off-topic talk on Dominion.
...not to mention, a safe haven from/antidote to all the idiotic Dominion flame wars. If not for Dominion (which I joined in '96), though, I'd never have "met" our Bazza and conspired to create the forums we all love so dearly. You're welcome, kiddies! ;D :lol: :kiss: 8)
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: