09.04.2009 - London

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I doubt it, my flatmate Paul had the Forum refitted last year and the new house kit is one of the finest in London, of the shows I've heard use it (Jerry Lee Lewis/Shellac/Mudhoney/Killing Joke etc etc...) All sounded fine and loud, it's just the way the Sissies sound now.

That said, crackin' show down the front, and sounded fine (if a tad quiet) from the balcony when I went for a wander. When I popped upstairs people were going mental to Dominion and the general feeling in the crowd was a lot more positive than many Sisters shows in London since 97. Management mentioned they'd had a couple of comments about the sound, but overall it restored my interest in the girls.

Just hope they're well enough for Beirut now.
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

Okay, if that's the case then I am just sorry I couldn't get tickets for down-below and was stuck upstairs at the back in the standing area. :( Also wish that I had mentioned sound in this location to the management. I'm only posting here because I was so disappointed, ah well, may next time?

Ho-hum. In the meantime maybe I will go to Friendly Fires after all ... thank you for the clarification RobF.
Last edited by OnlineSince1984 on 14 Apr 2009, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

its always going to be tricky when a band doesn't have any backline as such.

for example, goldblade's sound comes from their drum kit& the kit's mics into the PA, the guitar amps and the line into the PA, the bass amp and the line into the PA, and the vocals

the sisters have a huge gap on stage where a backline rhythm section would normally be expected to come from

that's what gives the whole thing a slightly hollow sound

on top of that the old issue of balance and vocal power means the geetars have to be a tad quieter too

couple that hollowness with cavernous venue acoustics and a weak PA and bang! where did my band go? :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

the sisters are aware of what they sound like - thats a point on can be happy with or not.

i also believe that andrew does not force ben and chris to use a specific sound - having a look at the developement of the guitar sound since 2006 they have chosen themselfs. i definitely would like to hear them discussing sound & balance within the band because i have no idea why small changes with huge effects on the overall experience are not implemented.

also, beside the 2 guitras everything else is of digital origin, which makes it easier to work with. bass and drums simply should have more contour and punch which has nothing to do with a venue's sound system or the volumelevel

its a pity because they are so close to being really fantastic, at least sometimes. it often feels like not having loosened the hand brake completely

anyway, looking forword for the next one
love is just a shot away
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

dtsom wrote:someone can upload it in other server PLEASE??
Seconded..

My dime account appears to have gone the same way as Von's vocals at the gig...

:innocent:
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
Yggdrasil

markreed wrote:Review and pictures :
Ace pics, thank you!
miprs4
Amphetamine Filth

(Firmly tongue in cheek)

Glad to see such passionate debate around a band that haven't released a record in erm how long?

Being an old git who has been going to concerts for a very long time, I can honestly say I have seen some serious s**t bands in my time (a gentleman is always discrete) I have also seen some brilliant bands across many different genre's, I guess I know what makes a good gig for me...

I stuck a load of video's (104 vids from 16 shows (yes I go to lots of concerts (wow don't I just)) ) since Oct 2008 when I got my Flip) up on:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/mipevo6

As you can tell I have pretty ecclectic tastes in music these days :-) but I still go to as many gigs as I can given the job I have etc... anyway all rambles....

I have no idea how to list all the bands I have seen in my 31 years of concert going... but I could name check so many Punk, Goth, post punk, industrial, New wave, Electronic, Rock, Indie, Pop, Ska, Folk, blah blah.. it would probably look like a silly list....

Anyway, back to the point.....

I would invite you all to listen to a sample of the vids across all the various bands and venues (Astoria, Astoria II, Brixton, O2, 229 Club, Dingwalls, The Troxy, Shepards Bush Empire, The Forum)

They were all taken with the same device with the same settings etc.. so should be pretty constant sound quality....

I have to say the crappiest mix was without doubt....

SOM @The Forum...

Was the light show great? - yes
Was the smoke about right? - yes
Did I enjoy myself? - erm mostly...
Would I go again? - you know I will......
Were they great? - I have no idea the crappy sound meant I couldn't hear them.....

After all this time you would think they could hang a sound together.. Oh well maybe next time huh....

I feel better after that vent......
Cheers

MIP
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

miprs4 wrote:I have to say the crappiest mix was without doubt....

SOM @The Forum...
Thanks for the video posts miprs4, they are great. Wow, the gig sounded so much better down there near the stage ... imagine how it was up in the standing area at the top!
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

I use a Fuji Finepix 900 (I think), set to natural daylight with no flash - works well.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Listening to the recording. Good stuff, thanks! Volume aside, the mix is better than when I saw them at the NEC. And the audience are good as well, particularly for This Corrosion. :wink:
allfear

Hello All, remember me?

Well I was at the Forum, now I have see good sisters gigs, and I have seen bad sisters gigs, this was a GOOD sisters gig.

Certianally, chris and Ben are the best thing that band has had since adam pearson joined, Chris was a real showman at the gig and ben knocked out some top solos.

The vocals were a little quiet, and it is high time that the band thought about re making the bands backing tracks, but as a peformance it was great, Lucretia was the stand out song and the set list was a great mix of hits, and err hits!

Matt
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Hey, first post :oops:

Maybe its because it was my first time seeing The Sisters, but I had a good time and thought the gig was fun. They were a bit quiet from where I was (near the back of the standing area) but I still had a laugh. I thought the lights/smoke were excellent. Setlist was great too!

I went with a friend who basically introduced me to TSOM in the first place so I thought it'd better be her I went with, and we both agreed it was a "top nite out".
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

AdrenaChris wrote:I went with a friend who basically introduced me to TSOM in the first place so I thought it'd better be her I went with, and we both agreed it was a "top nite out".
Fabulous! And welcome! :D
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Yes, a GOOD Sisters gig. Not perfect : then again, I was spoilt - I saw the NEC in 1992, which is still in my top ten gigs of all time, 700 shows later.

I'd like to see the setlist shaken up a little - good to see "Marian" again, but I'd personally enjoy more variety - these days we all know the last three songs will probably be Lucretia / Top Nite Out / Temple Of Love, and the beginning will have Ribbons / Alice / Anaconda / Dominion in it.

I'd like to see 1969 back. When You Don't See Me, Doctor Jeep, Under The Gun, Body Electric, Adrenochrome, Heartland, Logic, Walk away, No Time To Cry, Black Planet, Rain From Heaven, the ten minute version of Lucretia, Will I Dream, You Could Be The One, Come Together, Jolene : all these would add a sense of adventure to these intellectual love gods. Sisters sets are sort of predictable now. They are always good, often STUNNING, but I'd like more.

I'd like them to ditch Crash and Burn as the opener. Open with Top Nite Out, Vision Thing, Ribbons, Dominion / Mother Russia, Lucretia, Train, Detonation Boulevard, Crash And Burn. That would floor us.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

markreed wrote:Yes, a GOOD Sisters gig. Not perfect : then again, I was spoilt - I saw the NEC in 1992, which is still in my top ten gigs of all time, 700 shows later.

I'd like to see the setlist shaken up a little - good to see "Marian" again, but I'd personally enjoy more variety - these days we all know the last three songs will probably be Lucretia / Top Nite Out / Temple Of Love, and the beginning will have Ribbons / Alice / Anaconda / Dominion in it.

I'd like to see 1969 back. When You Don't See Me, Doctor Jeep, Under The Gun, Body Electric, Adrenochrome, Heartland, Logic, Walk away, No Time To Cry, Black Planet, Rain From Heaven, the ten minute version of Lucretia, Will I Dream, You Could Be The One, Come Together, Jolene : all these would add a sense of adventure to these intellectual love gods. Sisters sets are sort of predictable now. They are always good, often STUNNING, but I'd like more.

I'd like them to ditch Crash and Burn as the opener. Open with Top Nite Out, Vision Thing, Ribbons, Dominion / Mother Russia, Lucretia, Train, Detonation Boulevard, Crash And Burn. That would floor us.
Agreed, its never good when a band plays the exact same set year after year. As long as you leave enough time between seeing them I suppose it still stays relatively fresh.

I thought the setlist was near enough excellent, though it *was* my first time. However i was hoping for Body Electric and Doctor Jeep, I would have thought they'd play those. Maybe even Emma, or is that just wishful thinking?
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Well, it's not the exact same set and the order often changes a little bit... but the core elements of the current set - apart from "Arms" - has been exactly the same since 2002.
Dr. Moody

thought Public Enemy's "Don't believe the Hype" out of the p.a at the end was funny.

Oh and yes definitely time for a few more setlist changes, seems a little mean to reintroduce good things, logic, phantom/floorshow and capricorn (first cover version the new lot have done ?)and not play any of em in the only two uk gigs.

bring back Jolene and fix(he can mumble through that no probs).
80star
Road Kill

Thought it was a top gig. Yeh, the sound was alittle crappy but was just pleased (and possibly a teeny bit drunk) to be there!

They're not great (too much jumping I guess!) but here's a link to the photo's I took!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 91b4996a97
"Shut Up! I am sick and tired of your stupid Hymns!"
-God
lachert
Overbomber

long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I won't live another minute without that!
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Debi

80star wrote:Thought it was a top gig. Yeh, the sound was alittle crappy but was just pleased (and possibly a teeny bit drunk) to be there!

They're not great (too much jumping I guess!) but here's a link to the photo's I took!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 91b4996a97
great pics!! am jealous ;D see - green with it :lol:
Debi

7anthea7 wrote:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I won't live another minute without that!

arrggghh - cannot watch that one as i am at work - tell me what it is - pleasey :notworthy:
robm
Amphetamine Filth

It's an advert for a bootleg complete video recording of the forum gig.
Debi

robm wrote:It's an advert for a bootleg complete video recording of the forum gig.
ooh. yes. isnt it just :D

had a wee sneaky looksee

very nice :notworthy:
Debi

although i had my ear pressed up against the monitor speaker to make out which song it was :lol: