Soft Synths - help a technophobe out pleeeeeaaaassse

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

So I'm trying to put together a nice little rig for making my own bangin choons (a rig is what they call it right?... isn't it? oh :oops: ), and I have most of what I need worked out, but I am having some difficulty with soft synths/ virtual instruments.

Basically I want to get a simple controller keyboard to play all manner or funky instruments through the wonders of MIDI (which I think, after years of banging my head against a brick wall, I am finally beginning to comprehend). I want sounds. A lot of sounds.

Here are some of the kind of sounds I want:

* guitars - both acoustic and electric
* classic synthy sounds
* orchestral sounds
* bass sounds

Basically I want to be able to generate noises which sound like these things, without any of the actual instruments. So can anyone point me in the direction of some soft-synths that would do the job? Or should I be looking at loops? Or both?

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated, particularly from those of you who already are makers of choons 8)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Anything by native instruments would be a good starting point.

You using a pc sequencer? Which one?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I can't help you out one bit, but succes with the experiment :D
in dub we trust
eotunun
Overbomber

Besides being f*cking big your keyboard that you once mentioned might have midi ports on its backside.
If so one of these will be helpfull. :wink:
I was told that Edirol thingy was especially worth mentioning.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
James Blast
Banned

no help, but I ken some Foriegns that have been seen tinkling the ivories :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

didn't they use backing tapes? :innocent:
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

prolly, they are Foreigns after all :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Klep toe.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

Ma Nia? :eek:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Izzy HaveMercy

Oh and just to be helpful, Claire:

Listen to the samples here

Like what you hear? You need a VST host for that (Cubase for example), and this plugin, which is oh so NOT available as a torrent, for example.

IZ.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Thanks Iz, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for (though anyone else's suggestions would also be welcome. Would be nice to compare and contrast a bit).

I'll be using a PC and Cubase, if that's relevant.
Izzy HaveMercy

boudicca wrote:Thanks Iz, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for (though anyone else's suggestions would also be welcome. Would be nice to compare and contrast a bit).

I'll be using a PC and Cubase, if that's relevant.
Cubase is guid. PC... dual to quadcore I hope?

IZ.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Quiff Boy wrote:Anything by native instruments would be a good starting point.

The Native Instruments ones that I've been looking at all seem to be very focused on one type of instrument... for example one that just does guitar sounds. If possible I'd like to get something that has a wide ramge of sounds available on it... though I realise I might just have to get more than one....
Izzy HaveMercy

boudicca wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:Anything by native instruments would be a good starting point.

The Native Instruments ones that I've been looking at all seem to be very focused on one type of instrument... for example one that just does guitar sounds. If possible I'd like to get something that has a wide ramge of sounds available on it... though I realise I might just have to get more than one....
That's where the packages come in that I mentioned...

East West, Spectrasonics, Zero-G.... they are all NI (Native Instruments) based, mostly fit for their Kore/Kontakt/Intakt engines, but they make their own packages...

IZ.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Oh just get a theremin Claire. You know you want to...
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Dodgy old Casio keyboard - relitively nice string sound, ok piano, seriously crap choir ahhs - what more to do you need?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Snakes
Road Kill

Its a little outdated, but for good (not excellent, but perfectly good) string/orchestral and synth sounds propellerhead's reason has them all in the one package, and a lot more, including a drum machine, samplers etc. You cant record audio into it, but you can in cubase, and you can rewire (ie: link) reason into cubase and control its transport functions from there.

Reason is fairly easy to use, and is only limited by your imagination (sounds cheesy but true), it would compliment cubase very well, as you can load external vst's into it either (but again, in cubase you can).

As far as guitars go, there are a few emulations out there, but to be honest, you would be better off buying a s**t 2nd hand one and bashing it out yourself, no matter what your skill level. There is a new one out though by rob papen that looks great for acoustic chord progressions etc....havent looked into it much as i play guitar anyway, but his stuff is usually quality.

NI stuff is great, but rather bloated and often buggy as far as software goes, but they do have some great stuff regardless. I think for the sounds you want though, you would be nuts to go past reason, especially if youre starting out as its a program that will only open up more as you learn.

Hope that helps.
Izzy HaveMercy

I think instead of Reason, which ain't bad at all but a bit overwhelming at first glance, she might opt for Ableton Live.

Then again, she already has Cubase, so no point really to put it side by side with Live.

The ReWire technology is pretty neat indeed, but as said, I should start with Cubase and a couple of sound libraries a la NI. At a further point you might try Reason or Live, but in my opinion they become (only) useful when sequencing becomes more of an issue...

NI buggy? Bah, I put in 4 gig memory instead of the 1 gig I had and my Altered States package went bonkers... I 'ran out of memory' every time I opened another instrument! :lol:

NI answered me that the issue was known because AS uses the older Intakt engine, I should upgrade to their Kore engine, yeah rite... it costs more that Altered States cost me!

IZ.
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Propellerhead Software's ReBirth RB-338

This may not be what you are looking for but you can make banging tunes in a more old school acid electro style. It´s also now free to download once you register. Its very easy to use and very very addictive.
http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

boudicca
Sister Midnight

Thanks for the suggestions people, keep em coming! :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

a kazoo is pretty cool, you tried one of them, they're dead easy to play
~ Peter Steele
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:a kazoo is pretty cool, you tried one of them, they're dead easy to play
She did ask... :lol:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've been playing around with midi recently (specifically Adobe Audition 3's sequencer + a bunch of free VSti's). A problem I sometimes run into is that the sequencer won't play all the notes I key in, it's as if it can't play all the notes and then gets confused and plays a big blurge of them at once. I thought this might have something to do with PC speed, but it even occurs in the wave mixdowns.

Any ideas? :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Blurge? Is that a technical term? :P
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

robertzombie wrote:I've been playing around with midi recently (specifically Adobe Audition 3's sequencer + a bunch of free VSti's). A problem I sometimes run into is that the sequencer won't play all the notes I key in, it's as if it can't play all the notes and then gets confused and plays a big blurge of them at once. I thought this might have something to do with PC speed, but it even occurs in the wave mixdowns.

Any ideas? :)
iz will probably be better able to advise, but it sounds like your soundcard's latency

(ie: your soundcard's speed, not your pc's speed)

depending on what your soundcard is you should either look to get new drivers (look for ASIO drivers as they have zero latancy, in theory), or if it's a soundcard that came built in with your pc you should probably think about replacing it with a dedicated "audio interface" - external usb ones are usually sufficient... try something by edirol or m-audio :)

ebay link: http://is.gd/cINOT
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 09 Jun 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?