$3 million? A bargain!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Big Si
School Bully

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... views.html

Brooklyn director Sean Dunne's "The Archive," about Paul Mawhinney, a man you may have heard about recently as he's the owner of the world's biggest record collection.

Mawhinney is a 69-year-old Pittsburgh native who has diabetes is now legally blind and also happens to own the world's largest collection which you might have heard about. When his store Record Rama went out of business, the collecting enthusiast made headlines in February of last year when he attempted to sell it off -- 3 million albums, 300, 000 CDs on Ebay for $3 million dollars. The DailySwarm covered this rather well.

Not only did the Ebay listing make the news, but its relatively swift sale did too, until it was revealed as a hoax (some person left their Ebay account logged on in a library and an idiot took advantage of the situation and thought it would be funny if he bought the massive collection (which includes 1 million singles too) on some other saps dime, according to the director. Well shot, the eight minute short quickly documents, Mawhinney's relationship to the store, to the music and his bitter laments about how no one seems interested in buying what is an important musicological gold mine (his collection has been appraised at being worth about $50 million and about 83% of it is not readily commercially available to the public). We honestly think there's more to tell with this story, a longer doc, a follow-up doc, a narrative based on the collector? He's a strangely fascinating and embittered man.

Not from this documentarian. We asked Dunne in the Q&A if he planned to stick with this story at all and he said he was more than ready to move on, suggesting his subject was rather difficult (though he did allude to the possibilities of a follow-up should the collection actually be sold; it could take 3-4 months to move it). "The Archive" ends with Mawhinney intently listening to John Miles' "Music," and then quietly weeping, as if to mourn the death of music itself, now that the inability to sell the collection apparently suggests how its value has intrinsically been devalued and how people just no longer care. Or at least, this is how Mawhinney would like you to feel. The reality is is someone could even afford to buy the collection, he/she would probably need to spend monthly thousands on the space and rent to house it. It's a sad, tragic state of affairs either way though and it's a compelling little portrait.

Dunne also told The Playlist that Mawhinney actually "owns the songs from the film. He owns 7 record labels and allowed us to use whatever we wanted," aside from one track that they didn't clear which we won't mention in case someone tries to hit him with a C&D (which they shouldn't, it's a little eight minute doc, there's not a lot, or any profit to be made). As of this writing, Mawhinney has actually lowered his asking price to half a million dollars (remember its valued at $50 million).
http://vimeo.com/1546186
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that's a shame that none wanted to buy this, damn if only, if only. :?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

uah, :eek: :eek:

what a sad story -

the City or State should have turned his collection into some official cultural heritage ...

:urff: ... bitter world ... :urff:
eotunun
Overbomber

I just roughly calculated that theres are 205 years and 4 months of music.
..may I suggest that merely owining that collection is as helpfull for a single human as is a hole in the head?

The Idea of making it public heritage seems okay. But do you have an idea how much it'll cost to preserve all the potentially decaying plastics?

Mindboggling dimensions..
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Being645
Wiki Wizard

eotunun wrote:I just roughly calculated that theres are 205 years and 4 months of music.
..may I suggest that merely owining that collection is as helpfull for a single human as is a hole in the head?

The Idea of making it public heritage seems okay. But do you have an idea how much it'll cost to preserve all the potentially decaying plastics?

Mindboggling dimensions..
:notworthy: I tend to give in to your argumentation ... :lol: ... for a moment, but
... about 83% of it is not readily commercially available to the public
It were such a great library of music and all of these recordings could be digitally saved,
which - I assume - most of them are not ... (additionally creating jobs ...)

And another reason - from my personal view - is: there is no life and no survival without music ...
It is part of our evolutionary and cultural heritage, hence, a treasure far beyond money.
eotunun
Overbomber

Being645 wrote: And another reason - from my personal view - is: there is no life and no survival without music ...
It is part of our evolutionary and cultural heritage, hence, a treasure far beyond money.
To this, I subscribe. (And boy, was I in a hectic when writing my above post.. Blimey! :eek: )
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
despair
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

His current asking price of 500K is just ridiculously low. This should be a no-brainer for any music interested person with that kind of money available.

It would work very well as a business model as well; buy the collection, then hire a few people to list some of the most sought after stuff on ebay. You would have your money back in no time, and still have most of the records left.

That being said, I think selling this collection piece by piece would be blasphemy. This collection is priceless and should be preserved for centuries to come.
psichonaut
Overbomber

what a shame....his archive is bigger than my home
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i could sleep between albumsstands - no problem for me. :?