Vent Your Spleen

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Bloody bad (to the power of 10) referees...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Chancer Corporation
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Damn it, trust me to be on vacation when there's an interesting political discussion :D :D

I'll just add though, that Thatcher was best thing to happen to British politics since World War 2. If you disagree, can I ask, did you actually experience the 1970s?
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

nodubmanshouts wrote: I'll just add though, that Thatcher was best thing to happen to British politics since World War 2. If you disagree, can I ask, did you actually experience the 1970s?
Hmm I remember being in the bath when there were power cuts, that's about all.

Sure the pendulum had to swing the other way, but it went a bit too far - still on its way back to equilibrium from the right.
I think we've been in here too long. I feel unusual. I think we should go outside.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

nodubmanshouts wrote:Damn it, trust me to be on vacation when there's an interesting political discussion :D :D

I'll just add though, that Thatcher was best thing to happen to British politics since World War 2. If you disagree, can I ask, did you actually experience the 1970s?
:eek: Oooh, (you're)' treading in very dangerous waters' here @ndms !!! Thatch is generally regarded by all HLers as the original Witch from Hell ... I was very much alive in the 1970s - It was a great decade - for music, the politics however started badly and got worse - a lot worse - the 1980s seemed like a waking nightmare to yours truly, but that could be as a result of all the fun I'd had the previous decade?! Maybe some who know and/or care would say that the 1960s were halcyon days and things have pretty much gone down hill since then?! - Seemed generally happier and more optimistic from the eyes of a 'nipper' (YrsTly), but this is of course a very personal thing. There will never be any real politics in Blighty until we fully have Proportional Representation. From a country that invented the Magna Carta we've been making a right mess of things for a pretty long time since, eh?!

:innocent:
“Pension. Pay given to a state hireling for treason to his country.�
Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

abridged wrote:Bloody bad (to the power of 10) referees...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Conspiracy Theory Pt.98765nnn perhaps? - Maybe Mr Abramovich didn't take care to 'line the right pockets', eh? - Would St. Pauli or The Lions ever make it to the 'Chumps (aka Champions League) Final' I wonder ???
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah maybe a conspiracy, but not a Chelsea one. Remember the 'ghost' goal against Liverpool, now three blatant penalties not given...Sometimes us paranoid types are right. They are out to get us! :lol: I can't imagine Mr Platini being upset at our demise...
The Chancer Corporation
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

:eek: I'm stunned that you are laffing?! - I'd be wanting to start WW3 against Norway & FIFA ...
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah only on the outside. I'm with Drogba completely (though it would've helped had he have taken those chances). Not that it was Barca's fault but for the first time ever I want Man Utd to win....If i didn't laugh...
The Chancer Corporation
nodubmanshouts

Thatch is generally regarded by all HLers as the original Witch from Hell ...
Ah well, consensus is always right, init? :lol: :lol: Actually, on these kinds of forums I generally find those who think Thatcher rocked tend to keep quiet.

While its been fashionable to hate Thatcher ever since The Youngs Ones, the fact is that Labour now sits to the right of where Thatcher stood 30 odd years ago.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

nodubmanshouts wrote: the fact is that Labour now sits to the right of where Thatcher stood 30 odd years ago.

:eek: Mmm, not sure about that ... What would Thatch have done about 9/11 (& 7/7), eh? - Something 'pretty decisive' without a doubt ...

:innocent:

p.s. Speaking of The Young Ones - Where is SPG for the c21st, eh?!
nodubmanshouts

Actually, I'll correct that a bit. Definitely to the right of pre-Thatcher Conservative party, but aligned, or a little to the right, of Thatcher on certain issues.
What would Thatch have done about 9/11
Probably follow the USA's lead.... now what did Blair do again? :innocent:
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

Thatch 'follow' anyone??? - Not her 'stylee' surely?
nodubmanshouts

She was a pussycat. :lol:
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

With rabies ...
Last edited by Dodges Unlimited Inc. on 07 May 2009, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

Dodges Unlimited Inc. wrote:
p.s. Speaking of The Young Ones - Where is SPG for the c21st, eh?!
the SPG was re-branded into the current crop of balaclava wearing badge obscuring thugs, now known as the territorial support group.

http://www.met.police.uk/co/territorial_support.htm

edit: ah, I see you're talking about rodents. Stitch This!
I think we've been in here too long. I feel unusual. I think we should go outside.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

of the pet/mammal/comic variety?
nodubmanshouts

Didn't think rabies existed in the UK...

(are we off topic yet? :lol: )
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

nodubmanshouts wrote:Didn't think rabies existed in the UK...

(are we off topic yet? :lol: )
Er, Yes & No ...

:wink:
nodubmanshouts

Er, Yes & No ...
And its that kind of thinking, me boy, which has Britain in such a tizzy.

On topic.... :D
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

On the subject of rabies - Er, who is playing footie on Saturday, eh?!

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thatcher pushed the whole of British Politics over to the right, so I'd agree that Labour are now to the right of where the Tories were pre-Thatcher.

IMO the current Labour shower are possibly more authoritarian than Thatcher, but I'd disagree that they're to the right of herself.

I was born in 1970, so I guess I don't remember things like "the winter of discontent" too well, that I'm sure you must be referring to, nodubmanshouts, but you're never going to convince me that Thatcher was a good thing for this country.

I lived in Yorkshire during the miners' strike, and her handling of that was just vicious. There are still families not speaking because of rifts caused back then. IMO she pushed the country to the brink of armed revolt because of her obsession with defeating the unions.

The "free-market" reforms she instigated have been exposed for the folly they always were by the current financial situation: deregulation simply empowers the already-powerful to rob the rest of us blind. Laissez-faire capitalism has always just been a method to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, under Thatcher this just became more and more blatantly obvious.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

When thatcher goes, I'll be taking dancing lessons.
nodubmanshouts

Deregulation had very little to do with the financial crisis we are currently exiting. In fact, it was the regulations of "mark to market" which caused most financial institutions to implode, and it is partially due to union power why the car manufacturers are in such dire straits right now.

The other major factors in the financial crisis were out-and-out fraud, and the ability of banks to lend out more money than they have, backed against over-valued assets. Both of these have been going on for centuries and have nothing to do with Thatcherism or deregulation.

Deregulation allows more opportunities for everyone, not just the 'already-powerful'. Sure, the rich get richer, but look at the list of the worlds wealthiest people - very few come from "old money": Gates, Buffet, the Walmart Waltons, Dell, Page, and so on. And it goes down to all levels. I see my friends prosper, and I don't move in wealthy circles.

I see the standard of living continue to rise for all people, rich and poor. I cannot see how that is a bad thing.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: Your location says California.

The rise in the standard of living for those of us in "the West" (and sure, I include myself here) is built off exploitation of, and concommitant decrease in standards of living for, the other 80% of the world's population.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Intellectual Love God

nodubmanshouts wrote: I see the standard of living continue to rise for all people, rich and poor. I
Sorry, at least for Germany, it's absolutely contrary the case. Some five or ten years ago, you could earn a living with any job ... this has changed extremely. Many people have to take on a second job or apply for addidional support under HARTZ IV ... Nowadays about 10 % of German school-children can not afford to participate in school travels or pay for additional lessons while having to live on cheap quality food available at the most possible lowest price ... and so on, and so on, and so on ...