Von's astro chart

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Horoscopes having nothing to do with science. It´s not an art either. That´s just a trick to give it some credibility. It´s just a load of bollocks.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Aazhyd wrote:Horoscopes having nothing to do with science. It´s not an art either. That´s just a trick to give it some credibility. It´s just a load of bollocks.
I'm with you on that one!

In the past, our ancesters needed answers to questions like "How did I get here", "Where did we come from", etc.
They created ideas about gods and spirits and looked at cycles of the moon and stars, and how the seasons changed, the afterlife and so on.
They wondered how the heavens affected us, and how they could appease those that controlled us.

All understandable. All bollocks.

We know our place in the universe, careering through space on this insignificant rock at 600m/s, we know the basics of how the earth and life evolved, and its all incredible and amazing.
We need no fantastical spirits or old stories of conjuring and faith healing, of fables of angels and we certainly don't need the idea that when and where we are born sets out a route you will travel.

Forgive my elaboration of the subject, but this whole belief in mythical jibberish annoys me more than anything.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

culprit wrote:Forgive my elaboration of the subject, but this whole belief in mythical jibberish annoys me more than anything.
:notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
_emma_
Overbomber

Those who think it's s**t won't change their mind, and those who think it's not won't change theirs either, so I think there's no point in me taking part in this discussion any further.
800mak
Road Kill

_emma_ wrote:Those who think it's s**t won't change their mind, and those who think it's not won't change theirs either, so I think there's no point in me taking part in this discussion any further.

:notworthy:
Tune in

Turn on

Burn out
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I would change my mind, given adequate reason to do so.

I try to keep an open mind. [size=0]Just not so open that my brains fall out.[/size]
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:[size=0]Just not so open that my brains fall out.[/size]
that's as good a reason as any, given the subject matter :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

;D Indeed.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

Is it time for another post necro?
James Blast
Banned

another 'silly season' aerobic workout
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
800mak
Road Kill

Thank You All For Your Kindness!
Tune in

Turn on

Burn out
mistressteal
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:another 'silly season' aerobic workout
Please don't offend us ladies, some of us enjoy a little aerobics and astrology after our tea and biscuits.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... and chatting ... :lol:
James Blast
Banned

very good, that's what I like to hear
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts

Its really said that people waste their lives believing in s**t like astrology. Its really a waste of human intelligence. :(
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:Its really said that people waste their lives believing in s**t like football. Its really a waste of human intelligence.
;D
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Being645
Wiki Wizard

nodubmanshouts wrote:Its really said that people waste their lives believing in s**t like astrology. Its really a waste of human intelligence. :(
It is, in fact, one system among all those systems at our choice ... not more and - not less.
7anthea7 wrote:
nodubmanshouts wrote:Its really said that people waste their lives believing in s**t like football. Its really a waste of human intelligence.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... anyway, I can't see a contradiction there ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
nodubmanshouts

I agree that football is a completely pointless waste of time, but at least there is a possibility of having some fun while watching it, even if its just an excuse to hang out with mates and drink beer.

Astrology on the other hand.... I mean, there's no just no excuse for its existence really is there?
_emma_
Overbomber

Geez nodubmanshouts, who on earth gave you the right to pass judgements like that?
If somebody finds something intertesting and absorbing and amusing and no humans or animals get hurt in the process, what the hell can be wrong about it, and who gave you the right to judge whether it's a waste of time for a given person or not?
I bet you also enjoy some things that could be considered a waste of time by those who don't enjoy them.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I see where nodubmanshouts is coming from in that there's no intrinsic value to astrology, and it has no application to the real world.

On the other hand, you could say the same thing about a cryptic crossword puzzle, and I quite enjoy those.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I'm surprised at Dubs vehemence, considering this topic has been pretty much talked into the ground. :?

_emma_ makes a good point, and I'm inclined to agree with her defence, even if it doesn't make me anymore a fan of astrology!
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:I bet you also enjoy some things that could be considered a waste of time by those who don't enjoy them.
Like following/listening to the Sisters :wink:
Four strings good, six strings bad
nodubmanshouts

Geez nodubmanshouts, who on earth gave you the right to pass judgements like that?
Nobody, and I'm not. I'm stating an opinion. We can't express opinions anymore without them being called "judgements"?

(curious: who gave you the right to pass judgmement on ME?)
If somebody finds something intertesting and absorbing and amusing and no humans or animals get hurt in the process, what the hell can be wrong about it, and who gave you the right to judge whether it's a waste of time for a given person or not?
Because people DO get hurt in the process. At its very, very best, Astrology is fraud - monetary or otherwise.

And its worst, it encourages people to make decisions which can negatively change their lives.

And its very, very worst, wars and executions have been been made over astrological predictions.
I bet you also enjoy some things that could be considered a waste of time by those who don't enjoy them.
Oh, absolutely. If somebody thinks I waste my time collecting and drinking old French wines - fair enough. But I'm not taking money from people or trying to change their lives in the process.

I do, of course, apply all of the above to religion in general. But at least most religions don't pretend to a be a science.
800mak
Road Kill

:oops: Please, just name a single astrology book you've ever read! You are the voice of ignorance, the general sensus communis in a epoch of materialism, ill with the assumption of progression, with the disease of technofilia, considering that astrology is medieval while your newest mp3 player is certainly avant-garde!
But the thing is you've probably never read the major works of astrology ( I don't mean the s**t you find everywhere, but the works of Hand, Greene, Sasportas, Rudhyar, Arroyo, etc ), as well as René Guénon, Jacques Bergier, Julius Evola among so many others that showed us other possibilities beyond the enjailed type of thought that sustain your "opinions". who cares about opinions? I believe, I don't believe... what is this? What we want, I believe, is objective truth, or at least objective judgements with some fundamentation. What do you know about astrology to talk like that? Nothing! You just are reacting to an idea that, being true, would destroy your safe little world that is also your prision. You all remind me of Kierkegaard, that was too much intelligent to love, and that was his greatest stupidity. He died in despair and anguish because he lied to himself about an objective truth.
But let me requote Fernando Pessoa :
Astrology is verifiable if anyone will take the trouble to verify it. Why the stars influence us is a difficult question to answer, but it is not a scientific question. The scientific question is : do they or do they not? The reason why is metaphysical and need not trouble the fact, once we find that is a fact.
Fernando Pessoa

Try this links :

http://www.vedicstore.com/discourse1.html

http://www.vedicstore.com/discourse2.html

THE END 8)
Tune in

Turn on

Burn out
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have considered the impudent accusations of nodubmanshouts with exasperation at his lack of serious scholarship. He has apparently not read the detailed discourses of Count Roderigo of Seville on the exquisite and exotic leathers of the Emperor's boots, nor does he give a moment's consideration to Bellini's masterwork, On the Luminescence of the Emperor's Feathered Hat. We have entire schools dedicated to writing learned treatises on the beauty of the Emperor's raiment, and every major newspaper runs a section dedicated to imperial fashion; nodubmanshouts cavalierly dismisses them all. He even laughs at the highly popular and most persuasive arguments of his fellow countryman, Lord D. T. Mawkscribbler, who famously pointed out that the Emperor would not wear common cotton, nor uncomfortable polyester, but must, I say must, wear undergarments of the finest silk.

nodubmanshouts arrogantly ignores all these deep philosophical ponderings to crudely accuse the Emperor of nudity.

Personally, I suspect that perhaps the Emperor might not be fully clothed — how else to explain the apparent sloth of the staff at the palace laundry — but, well, everyone else does seem to go on about his clothes, and this nodubmanshouts fellow is such a rude upstart who lacks the wit of my elegant circumlocutions, that, while unable to deal with the substance of his accusations, I should at least chide him for his very bad form.

Until nodubmanshouts has trained in the shops of Paris and Milan, until he has learned to tell the difference between a ruffled flounce and a puffy pantaloon, we should all pretend he has not spoken out against the Emperor's taste. His erudition may give him the ability to recognize dangling genitalia when he sees it, but it has not taught him the proper appreciation of Imaginary Fabrics.

(Adapted from PZ)

The Emperor still has no clothes. Astrology does not work.
Last edited by markfiend on 25 Jun 2009, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
—Bertrand Russell