Von's astro chart

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

@ markfiend - nice one! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

LouLou wrote:@ markfiend - nice one! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I can't claim credit for it. But thanks on PZ's behalf :lol:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... _reply.php
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Actually, I did a great deal of reading on this (and other religious and occult topics) in my teens. I can't name you a book because it was over 20 years ago. Best rest assured, I have read on the subject.

As for your articles, they sound like the Monty Python sketch "how do you know she's a witch?".

Statements like
We know that the ocean is influenced by the moon, but we have not taken into consideration the fact that the same proportion of water and salt that occurs in the ocean also occurs in the human body -- the same proportion. Seventy percent of the human body consists of water, and the proportion of salt contained in that water is the same as is contained in the Arabian Sea. If the water in the ocean is affected by the moon, then how could the water inside the human body remain unaffected?
Could you make you go "wow, that's a point", until you realise that

a. the gravitational affect of the person standing next to you has more effect on your body water than the moon does.

b. the water of the ocean is affected by different gravitational pulls due its large size

and best of all

c. The Earth's oceans hold more than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times more water than your body does.

We're never going to agree, so a discussion on this is pointless - it is, literally, arguing religion. Good luck with your beliefs, I hope they bring you happiness.
James Blast
Banned

Okay, what tha fuck has happened here!? :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts

@markfiend: pure, pure awesome

( IMHO of course :D )
_emma_
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:Because people DO get hurt in the process.
They also do get hurt during a football match.
At its very, very best, Astrology is fraud - monetary or otherwise.
So is football.
And its worst, it encourages people to make decisions which can negatively change their lives.
Football does that, too. Think about doping or gambling.
And its very, very worst, wars and executions have been been made over astrological predictions.
Now think about football hooliganism.

Anything can be dangerous in the hands of idiots.

And I'm not one. I've tried yoga and I've tried astrology and I've tried horseriding and I've tried belly dancing and plenty of other things, none of them I could consider a waste of time because they made me a more experienced person who can see the world from different angles.

I also tried General Chatting in Heartland, but THAT WAS a pointless waste of time.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah, astrology might kill but only football can break your heart... :innocent:
The Chancer Corporation
nodubmanshouts

_emma_ - I've never had the pleasure of having a logical discussion with you before, and clearly this time is no exception.

Were you serious about any of those comments?
James Blast
Banned

bin this, some sane person... please
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

nodubmanshouts wrote:a. the gravitational affect of the person standing next to you has more effect on your body water than the moon does.
This amused me, here are the calculations (yes I'm bored):

Gravitational force exerted on person of 80kg by the moon:
2.744x10^-17 N

Gravitational force exerted on person of 80kg by another 80kg person standing 0.5m away:
1.708x10^-6 N

So someone standing next to you exerts more gravitational force than the moon.. specifically, about 50000000000 times more force. :lol:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Okay, what tha fuck has happened here!? :eek:
S'got a bit uncivil, yeah? :(

I tried to inject some humour into the, eh, 'discussion' by plugging 'football' into nodubmanshouts' comment, because I think you can pretty much choose any random topic that absorbs a lot of people's attention and elicits passionate defences of its legitimacy. _emma_ and a couple of other people picked up on that, and fiendy's contribution was hilarious while still being non-confrontational.

No one should have to defend a belief such as this here. We all have our opinions on it, and whilst it may not be scientifically verifiable, the same could be said for many other things people hold dear.

HL is no place to be having this sort of antagonistic exchange. If it's got James out of sorts, you know it's over the top. :|
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
James Blast
Banned

cuppa? :D
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts

I'm keeping mouth shut, lest I accidently point out the earth is round, and get accussed of being antagonistic and offending the flat earth people :(
_emma_
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:_emma_ - I've never had the pleasure of having a logical discussion with you before, and clearly this time is no exception.

Were you serious about any of those comments?
Which comments? Yours, mine, or the others'? I was serious about mine and can take responsibility for whatever I wrote, as for the rest I don't know.
nodubmanshouts

Yours... I'll just summarize... the major difference football and astrology, within this context, is that football does not pretend to give you answers about your life. Astrology does. That difference puts a big fundamental difference on the two activities.
_emma_
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:the major difference football and astrology, within this context, is that football does not pretend to give you answers about your life. Astrology does.
That's most definitely true, and that's exactly why I prefer astrology, because any activity that does not try (or pretend, as you see it) to give me answers about my life seems a waste of time to me.
What I do with the (pretended or not) answers is a different story, but I love to seek them, from various sources, and compare them.

Geez, why am I still taking part in this discussion leading me nowhere? Must be the Leo in me. :lol:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:Geez, why am I still taking part in this discussion leading me nowhere? Must be the Leo in me. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just have to have the last word, don't you? :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:cuppa? :D
Cracking idea!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Indeed!
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
James Blast wrote:cuppa? :D
Cracking idea!
got any biccies? i have been too good this week ;D