Steven Wells (RIP) The English Patient

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm posting this in Sisters Chat as I remember Steven Wells writing for the NME and in turn it takes me to a time (early 80's) and a place (South Yorkshire) that is hard wired to the Sisters.

I'm not sure if he ever reviewed the girls, but for anyone that recalls his work, either as a journo or as Seething Wells, you ought to read this; and the associated pieces, originally published in Philadelphia Weekly and reprinted in this weekends Times.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news- ... 16404.html

Flagg
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I believe he reviewed Vision Thing and gave Vision Thing and Ribbons 10/10 the rest 4/10. I think he also did the York Race Course gig under a diff name and was in general a fan.

One of the best writers the NME had.

Matt..
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Enjoyed his writing a lot whilst often disagreed with his opinions. He will be missed. His stuff on cancer was particularly sad to read :(
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
czuczu
Overbomber

At the risk of sounding harsh, I always throught he was a bit of a cock - if he wrote about something I liked it was generally bile which meant there was no chance of believing a word he said about anything I didn't like... :|
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

I remember "And no thanks to the NME" from mr. Eldritch in the SGWBM sleeve.

But anyway, the words of a dying man hard trying not to sound pathetic, are the most tearjerking ones. Respect for Mr Wells.
guns & cars & accidents
Randall Flagg

dinky daisy wrote:I remember "And no thanks to the NME" from mr. Eldritch in the SGWBM sleeve.

Which I always thought was odd given the excellent reviews afforded to The Reptile House and (I think) Alice in the early days.

Flagg
EvilBastard
Overbomber

In a 1992 Material World interview in NME, to the question "Who's Overrated?" his response was "Anyone that writes for the NME, anyone that's in it."

Not sure if that's him having a dig at the NME, himself, or just everyone.

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

SWells pegged it right before 'The King of Pop', I thought he was intelligent and witty but, he wasn't into what I was into so, I tended not to read too many of his articles (Quantick/Collins/Maconie - aye guilty yer 'onner) but I belive his articles about his cancer and last days are well worth a read.
It's one of those things I've added to my unending 'to do' list :(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote:At the risk of sounding harsh, I always throught he was a bit of a cock - if he wrote about something I liked it was generally bile which meant there was no chance of believing a word he said about anything I didn't like... :|
yeah, that was my take on the guy.
I think we've been in here too long. I feel unusual. I think we should go outside.
Randall Flagg

Harvey Winston wrote:
czuczu wrote:At the risk of sounding harsh, I always throught he was a bit of a cock - if he wrote about something I liked it was generally bile which meant there was no chance of believing a word he said about anything I didn't like... :|
yeah, that was my take on the guy.
I think that whatever you may have thought of him a writer for the NME and his opinions on music you owe it to yourself to read his articles on cancer. Very powerful, witty, and always courageous.

Flagg
James Blast
Banned

I will

PS. get a better avatar please, I can help if needs :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

Randall Flagg wrote: I think that whatever you may have thought of him a writer for the NME and his opinions on music you owe it to yourself to read his articles on cancer. Very powerful, witty, and always courageous.

Flagg
I read it straight away. Awful thing to experience.
I think we've been in here too long. I feel unusual. I think we should go outside.