Giving Vision Thing a chance

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:... at least we got the killer tune that is "You Could Be the One" outta the sessions :D
Amen!
yeah, it's on of my preferred racket-boy songs ever
(apart form In The Heat of The Morning, Love You 'Til Tuesday and the like ... :lol:
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

I agree, "You Could Be The One" would have been one of the best tracks on the album - even if it's a very catchy song.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

BeyondThePale wrote:Even Tim Bricheno's guitars (I was a lot into All About Eve) are not what they should have been.
Probably because they're not there. He didn't actually play on the album, only came along to have his photo taken. He did the tour though and (I think) Temple Of Love 1992. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Petseri
Overbomber

BeyondThePale wrote:I agree, "You Could Be The One" would have been one of the best tracks on the album - even if it's a very catchy song.
Good grief! More of them are sprouting! :roll:
mh
Above the Chemist

Petseri wrote:
BeyondThePale wrote:I agree, "You Could Be The One" would have been one of the best tracks on the album - even if it's a very catchy song.
We are everywhere. You cannot hide. First we shall dominate the world, and then we shall come for your soul.

;D ;D ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

BeyondThePale wrote:
Even Tim Bricheno's guitars (I was a lot into All About Eve) are not what they should have been.

Probably because they're not there. He didn't actually play on the album, only came along to have his photo taken. He did the tour though and (I think) Temple Of Love 1992. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
He came in studio at the end of the process of recording, but, as far as I know, did recorded some stuff. At least the acoustic 12 string guitars - especially on "Ribbons", "Something Fast" and "I was Wrong".
Saw him live at the time (1990) with The m*****n in Paris. He did great job with this instrument on a couple of tracks (including "Tower Of Strenght").
Last edited by BeyondThePale on 02 Aug 2009, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:
Petseri wrote:
We are everywhere. You cannot hide. First we shall dominate the world, and then we shall come for your soul.

;D ;D ;D
''no,no,no plan was: take over their (mods) souls so we can do the same with every one else here and then expand to rest to this small funny smells planet.
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

It's not very known, but John Perry (former The Only Ones) did bottleneck slide guitar (for example on "Detonation Boulevard") and some solos.
I can't imagine Andreas Bruhn play 12 string acoustic guitar or even solos...
Andrew is credited for guitars on the album, but I'm not sure at all he played anything.
mh
Above the Chemist

I thought it was very well known actually...

My understanding of it all was that Bruhn was a full paid-up member and contributed in full to all tracks, TJ may have played bass, and Tim did nowt on the LP as he had joined too late.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

Of course Andreas Bruhn played on all tracks.
I don't think that Tim Bricheno would have been on the album sleeve if he had not played a single note on it...
But the most important is that if you compare his playing of acoustic 12 string guitar on the Vision Thing tour, and the acoustic guitar on the album, it's the SAME playing and sound.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

VT isn't half bad if you get the joke....or just pretend the joke exists. regardless, I think Ribbons and I Was Wrong are wonderful songs with excellent music and lyrics.
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

Yes, I agree. But one can argue that music is not necessarily supposed to be just a joke.
These two songs are also my favorites. :notworthy:
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I was talking about how the whole album reeks of hard rock parody, not just music in general ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The problem with parody is that if it's done too well (and with too straight a face) people think it's supposed to be the real thing.

Including the people that do it.

Anyway, Ribbons is worth the price of the album on its own, and I think my position on YCBTO is well known :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lachert
Overbomber

i love vision thing. it's completely different album as 2 others and this is good. no bad songs on it maybe except "when you don't see me" :innocent:
when it came out and i was listen to all these hardcore/trash bands, it was too soft for me and i don't care about sisters or other bon jovi type bands but now i think it's funny and it kick ass :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Any album that starts with a sniff can't be bad...Any album that has a song with 'Everybody shouts on I Love Lucy' has to be pretty damn good. The greatest opening line ever. Ribbons...not a bad word can be said. Something fast and I Was Wrong. Got a brother of sorts in Torquemada... :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:The problem with parody is that if it's done too well (and with too straight a face) people think it's supposed to be the real thing.

Oh yes. Though, this seems to me not so much a problem of the album
but of performing songs live ...

No easy task (avoiding too straight a face), given certain long-term effects
of "Lord of the Darkness" visions still prevailing (not only) among the audience ... :wink:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:The problem with parody is that if it's done too well (and with too straight a face) people think it's supposed to be the real thing.

Anyway, Ribbons is worth the price of the album on its own, and I think my position on YCBTO is well known :innocent:
It was leaving YCBTO off that messed it up - with it, the parody is unmistakable.
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Being645
Above the Chemist

:notworthy: ... yeah, that's exactly the point ... :notworthy: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

BeyondThePale wrote:It's not very known, but John Perry (former The Only Ones) did bottleneck slide guitar (for example on "Detonation Boulevard") and some solos.
Well enough known to be in the credits.
mh wrote:I thought it was very well known actually...

My understanding of it all was that Bruhn was a full paid-up member and contributed in full to all tracks, TJ may have played bass, and Tim did nowt on the LP as he had joined too late.
Mine too, although Tony James was definitely there for the sessions. His account of them is in another thread somewhere.
BeyondThePale wrote:Of course Andreas Bruhn played on all tracks.
I don't think that Tim Bricheno would have been on the album sleeve if he had not played a single note on it...
Can I be the first to say "Patricia"?
BeyondThePale
Road Kill

BeyondThePale wrote:
It's not very known, but John Perry (former The Only Ones) did bottleneck slide guitar (for example on "Detonation Boulevard") and some solos.

Well enough known to be in the credits.
The credits only mention "guitars" without these precisions.
And they also mention Tim Bricheno and Andrew for the same instrument. :wink:
BeyondThePale wrote:
Of course Andreas Bruhn played on all tracks.

Can I be the first to say "Patricia"?
I knew that a smart guy would say that, because it's so easy. :wink:
But:
1) No one can prove that Patricia Morrisson didn't play on Floodland.
2) On the Floodland's sleeve it's not really a band, the purpose is more "aesthetic". Whereas on the Vision Thing's sleeve it's a band. So why figuring a guy who's not part of the band?
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ribbons, nuff said.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
800mak
Road Kill

Vision Thing is a triumph of imagination and a superb reinvention of Sisters style. I think it's a very courageous album or perhaps just a lunatic one!
Tune in

Turn on

Burn out
mh
Above the Chemist

Right now I'm loving the first 3 tracks and very indifferent towards the other 5 (yes, even IWW). VT itself, particularly in it's Canadian Club Mix incarnation, is such a righteous blast of high-octane rocket fuel that it's instant good-vibes for me every time.

YCBTO remains a work of unparalleled genius, of course.
James Blast
Banned

mh wrote: instant good-vibes for me every time.

YCBTO remains a work of unparalleled genius, of course.
this is true and full of WIN!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele