The future of Heartland

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

right, the decision re: future hosting for this forum seems to have been made for me :|

its now been exactly 2 years since i moved to the current hosting company, dreamhost

as if to wish me a happy anniversary, it would appear that i now owe them another $220 lump sum to cover the next 2 years hosting (they're based in the states hence all figures for them are in US$)

this $220 bi-annual fee is in addition to the $30 a month i pay for the privilege of having a private server, which is something i had to get because the forum was causing the shared server to grind to a halt every couple of days (you remember all those 500 errors?)

i'd forgotten the original $220 i paid 2 years ago and had not factored that into any expense calculations :urff: :oops:

now that i have factored it in, suddenly it puts it into the same neighbourhood as some of the other hosting options.

for those not following the maths so far, it all works out at $470 per year to run heartland (110 + (30*12)) :|

i have 30 days to pay the $220 fee for the next 2 years, if i decide to stay with dreamhost....

it seems unlikely i can get hosting that is of a sufficient quality for much less than that, but after speaking to a few people i am confident can get something a lot better for a similar amount, so i am now looking into that

the current favourite option is to get a dedicated server for a flat fee of £60 a month from these people

http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/

they are the british version of the german company that host the cure connections website/community (ask pista... :lol:)

this is what i'd be looking at getting:

http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/server/ ... index.html

the Server S package

strato offer a free 30 day trial, which seems to dove-tail nicely with the remainder of my dreamhost time, so i've opened an account there and will shortly be moving one of my lesser used websites there to test their service.

if that goes well then i will move heartland over there too. this will probably cause a day or so downtime, so i'll give you plenty of notice...

i might also coincide any move with an upgrade to heartland's underlying software (from phpBB2 to phpBB3, which gives you a truck load of new features). maybe.

anyways, i just thought you might want to know :D

i'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

thanks
qb :von:
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 05 Jul 2010, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mh
Above the Chemist

In a kinda weird way, resolving the problems would almost be the end of an era. No more creaky old jalopy that we know is on the way out but we love all the same. Sob!

Looking at the Server-S, I noticed 2 GB free traffic per month. I'd hate to see your ass being bitten by that if HL exceeds it, so maybe check out the rates for over 2 GB (as well as what current usage is like)? ;)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Whichever you choose I'm guessing that a flurry of PayPal donations would come in handy - mine's just been sent.
snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just about to send a small donation. I'll send a little more after next payday. :D

Worth a few quid just to take the mickey outta some of the people on here...lol
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote:In a kinda weird way, resolving the problems would almost be the end of an era. No more creaky old jalopy that we know is on the way out but we love all the same. Sob!

Looking at the Server-S, I noticed 2 GB free traffic per month. I'd hate to see your ass being bitten by that if HL exceeds it, so maybe check out the rates for over 2 GB (as well as what current usage is like)? ;)
i took that to be 2.000, written in the european format, which we know as 2,000 - thus 2000 GB

christ, HL uses about 60 GB a month... (dreamhost is unlimited)

i had better double check that with strato, hadn't i? :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:i took that to be 2.000, written in the european format, which we know as 2,000 - thus 2000 GB
Maybe it is! Better be certain though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

:eek:

That's well expensive! I'm sure you'll be more likely to make the right decision in these matters than I am, sent some over which I hope is of some help together with what everyone else will no doubt bring in :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

let me kull some dead meat :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

1eurohosting.nl, Dutch web solution company.

Cost: 4 euro/month
Transfer www.myhl.co.uk: 15,95 euro (one-time fee)
Starting cost 6,00 euro (one-time fee)
Year total: 4*12+15,95+6,00 = 69,95 euro first year, 48,00 euro rest of yer life.

You get: 4000 MB webspace, unlimited bandwidth, 4 websites, unlimited mailbox/email, 25 mySQL...

http://www.1eurohosting.nl/webhosting.php

I'm not on it, but a colleague of mine is. If this suits your needs (I know naught about webhosting so read it all through first), contacting them is free ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Still on the dole, so money's tight, but I've sent a few quid your way. :)
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm going to try to figure out how to set up a regular monthly payment.

Just as long as you don't start charging by the post :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

@Barry.

Paypal, for me, is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

:|

Happy to transfer some sheckles if you let me have a bank account number etc (IBAN format preferably) .
I no longer trust the posties here, since I had a few shiny things go astray.
s
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Paypal is not so good for me ,either.Cash by previously described method would be ok for me,but you'd have to convert it.Please advise.
Francis
Overbomber

I think it's definitely time to move to a pay per post charging model Barry. Should increase the signal-to-noise ratio. Free calls after midnight and at weekends though. :innocent: :lol:

Can't remember my paypal account details so I'll catch up with you next weekend.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
despair

I have a VPS outside our netblock where I run backup MX and stuff. It's hosted by RapidXen which I have found to be very cheap and reliable:

http://www.rapidxen.net/plans.php

Unlimited bandwidth as long as it's reasonable (I have transfered 4.85 TiB during the last 255 days). My VPS is in the US, but I noticed they are now available in Germany as well.
darkparticle

Any money-making schemes you can think of to create a lump sum? How about the big guy doing a gig in your garage - auction the tickets here :D
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Didn't realise it cost you so much. :eek:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

my university unofficial forum just changed hosting comp. and they paid 129 PLN/ 1 year ( about 31 € / 29 GB). they got their own sever with free e-mails account i guess that loads of space. if you want to details i'll ask them.
darkparticle

:D hey QB how about hiring a fat man in an overcoat for the next meet?

maybe he could provide a service to members that got a ticket?
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

ok, afeter a few days sems that this hosting comp./severs is not so good - a few connection problem/errors.

but as i wrote i'll send a few penny in near future, very close. we have to keep this site alive/online. :notworthy:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

the mods will have to a. hire themselves out b. ask Von for some money c. umm... spend 15 years waiting for some inspiration for a new place.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
darkparticle

a. hire themselves out
s orry emilystrange, this internet makes things hard to translate are you saying they're all fat men?

emilystrange
Above the Chemist

no, i'm saying they'll have to sell themselves. or their talents. or both.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Francis
Overbomber

darkparticle wrote::D hey QB how about hiring a fat man in an overcoat for the next meet?
There'll be plenty of us paying good money to get in. :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a brief update:

i've been working on getting the new web server setup and have migrated a couple of the less busy sites over to it, for testing

http://www.marchviolets.co.uk/
http://www.rosetta-stone-info.co.uk/
http://www.salvationhq.co.uk/

the violets and salvation sites may or may not work for everyone just yet as the dns switch is still going through, but they seem ok for me

seems pretty nippy too 8)