Aircraft Recognition?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

This one could be mainly for Norman Hunter, although any other propellerheads are welcome to chime in.

Apologies for the quality of these pictures, but it was on my phone camera, which is of doubtable quality. This very dark hued - possibly black, although that would be a little too predictable - single-engined, five-blade helicopter made a shallow approach to Leeds City Centre, right over my workplace and landed at LGI's helipad directly opposite. It idled there for five minutes, before taking off and flying north over the city. I couldn't see anyone embark or leave.

It had retracted/deployable landing gear, which as a rule of thumb I ascribe to private or military 'choppers, as opposed to police or ambulance gear. From behind, although it isn't clear, it had a very cavernous troop/cargo area. It had no wing struts or weapons hardpoints.

I just cannot tell what type of machine this was. The fuselage was almost like a Chinook, but it had no second main rotor. It resembles a CH46 Super Stallion - but of course we don't use them, only the US Navy and USMC, and they're almost always ocean-grey with US NAVY markings. It's bigger than Pumas or Lynxes, and has no markings similar to the Sea Kings - hell, it didn't have ANY identifying marks.

Tinfoil hats on, conspiracy kings! 8)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Maybe our Resident Kraut Jümlaut knows more...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Black unmarked helicopter from the New World Orderâ„¢ come for fresh deliveries of baby-meat for the Illuminati's annual dinner-dance.

You didn't hear that from me. Image
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:Black unmarked helicopter from the New World Orderâ„¢ come for fresh deliveries of baby-meat for the Illuminati's annual dinner-dance.

You didn't hear that from me. Image
Nah, they have a tentacle-head logo on the sides and they go "IÄ! IÄ! IÄ" whilst hovering for landing...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Maybe our Resident Kraut Jümlaut knows more...

IZ.
*coughs*
This works better than calling my name thrice.. :innocent:

It looks like a NHIndustries NH 90 to me.
Clicky for the Wiki
The NH 90 is a brandnew ship , co-produced by several european companies to replace the Puma veterans. The one you saw there looks like it has som air-to-air refueling nozzle on, so I'd guess it's a one by the Royal Army.
Edit: Okay, So it's not Eurocopter, it's NH Industries, with or without space. But they build those choppers.

Edit #2: No wait! They look similar, but Agusta Westland CH3, Merlin matches better.
Those odd tips of the rotor match.
But apparently I'm off track with my guess about that nozzle. There's a wrench at the starboard door as well. So that nozzle probably serves a different purpose, maybe it's a submarine hunter? The wrench might be for lowering the sonar probe into the sea.
Or maybe it's an environmental observing helicopter which is equipped for taking probes of water that show traces of pollution by ships. The nozzle might contain cameras/detectors. Gas detectors for collecting aerosols for example that need to be safe from the downwash of the rotor.

I'd bet on #2.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... helicopters, aircraft, airports, harbours, stations, lorries, buildings, industries ... ;D ...

ah, that reminds my of my photographer's heart ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Stonedead forever. But somewhat still a joy to touch it.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Black unmarked helicopter from the New World Orderâ„¢ come for fresh deliveries of baby-meat for the Illuminati's annual dinner-dance.
Thank you Mr. Icke - how nice to have you out of the closet at last :lol:

During a recent enforced sojourn in Teh Land of Massed Chewssets (where there's nothing to do in the evenings except sit in a motel room watching The History Channel) I caught this tosser chuntering on about conspiracy theories, the Gnu Whirled Odour, and the Illoominahtee. No wonder the sepos are in the mess they are if they lap up this guy's ramblings (I refer, of course, to sepos in the general sense. The ones we have on here are mostly discerning and rational people who don't believe for a moment that the Queen Mum (gorblesser) is a gecko).
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

fnord
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Dude, it's a Merlin.
Four strings good, six strings bad
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

WIKI wrote:Anti-submarine warfare & medium-lift transport / utility helicopter
We have a wienar! Now just to figure out what it was doing parked on LGI's roof for five minutes! 8)

Cheers, techies. :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:just to figure out what it was doing parked on LGI's roof for five minutes!
I've already told you... :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Black unmarked helicopter from the New World Orderâ„¢ come for fresh deliveries of baby-meat for the Illuminati's annual dinner-dance.
[ citation needed! ]
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

timsinister wrote:Now just to figure out what it was doing parked on LGI's roof for five minutes! 8)
It makes a regular visit - about once a month - 'cos it passes over me at work in sunny Meanwood. There was an Army Lynx earlier this week too, FWIW.
Four strings good, six strings bad
eotunun
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:
WIKI wrote:Anti-submarine warfare & medium-lift transport / utility helicopter
We have a wienar! Now just to figure out what it was doing parked on LGI's roof for five minutes! 8)

Cheers, techies. :notworthy:
Off shor Oil drillers like helos of that size as transports, might have been one of them?

Oh, and next time ask for fixed wing planes. I am much better there. :wink:
(Or Choppers from the air rescue for the bastard public.)
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
katamishi
Road Kill

eotunun wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Maybe our Resident Kraut Jümlaut knows more...

IZ.
Edit #2: No wait! They look similar, but Agusta Westland CH3, Merlin matches better.
Those odd tips of the rotor match.

I'd bet on #2.
You are right. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDtGyAladk

all angles on pics covered, match.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

pretty post..... thank you ... and welcome here,
if nobody else should have welcomed you, yet.
James Blast
Banned

who are you, what are you?

start a new 'interesting' topic, go on...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Airwolf^^
James Blast
Banned

hatstand
biscuit barrel
chocolate sled
wooden frying pan
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

DocSommer wrote:Airwolf^^
... : :lol: : :lol: : :lol: : ...
James Blast
Banned

Oh you're back, good evening :|
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hi ... :D ...
James Blast
Banned

say something interesting, no, go on.....
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

FFS James ask Being645 out and be done with it
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
James Blast
Banned

now say something interesting, Clownpants
~ Peter Steele