Mac vs PC - The Last Word

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Teh Grauniad's Charlie Brooker tells it like it is.
"Everyone knows Windows is awful. Windows is like the faint smell of pish in a subway: it's there, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Still, bad though it is, I vaguely prefer the clumping, clueless, uncool, crappiness of Microsoft's bland Stepford gang to the creepy assurance of the average Mac evangelist. At least the grinning dildos in the Windows video are fictional, whereas eerie replicant Mac monks really are everywhere, standing over your shoulder in their charcoal pullovers, smirking with amusement at your hopelessly inferior OS, knowing they're better than you because they use Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard. SNOW LEOPARD.

I don't care if you're right. I just want you to die."
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I thought Macs only existed to give people something to do in Starbucks... you mean people actually use them to do stuff too? :o
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:P
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Controversial :lol:

Funny this should come up, as I had a bizarre dream the other night that I was in this room full of Macs and I was stamping on them all and crushing them with my feet. And they belonged to someone (not Blast, I can't actually remember who it was now) who I then realised was going to be none too pleased at what I'd just done.

Analyse that!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Still seriously considering defecting from PC to Mac. :P
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Controversial :lol:

Funny this should come up, as I had a bizarre dream the other night that I was in this room full of Macs and I was stamping on them all and crushing them with my feet. And they belonged to someone (not Blast, I can't actually remember who it was now) who I then realised was going to be none too pleased at what I'd just done.

Analyse that!
The root of ze problem iz die mother, ja?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

price of Mac's stops me from making this, right, step. :|
Last edited by Bartek on 28 Sep 2009, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
James Blast
Banned

<watches quietly from the higher ground>
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

<says nowt>
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:<watches quietly from the higher ground>
joins James
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Erudite wrote:Still seriously considering defecting from PC to Mac. :P
I did it almost two years ago. Never been happier with a computer. It's amazing: I don't have to spend all my time fixing the fucking thing! The only issue I've had is a logic board failure, and it took Apple all of 5 hours at a Fruit Stand to replace it.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

markfiend wrote:Image
seconded. The whole "Macs vs. Windows PC" thing is for other people who insist on spending money on stuff that should be free.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:it took Apple all of 5 hours at a Fruit Stand to replace it.
[rant]Right there, folks - you have to take your machine to a Fruit Stand or (worse) a Genius Bar to have it looked at.
And you get some spotty yoof who thinks that The Crow/Marilyn Manson is "goth", that Blink 182 is "punk", who describes good things as "sick", and who would queue for a week if Steve Jobs took a dump in a box.
He says, "What's wrong with it?"
You say, "It doesn't work - why else would I bring it in, genius?"
[look down his nose at you]"What doesn't work?"
"The damn computer, Fruit-boy - what do you think?"
"Have you tweedled the kratzenfluffer? That voids the warranty, you know."
"No, I haven't tweedled the kratzenfluffer - I wouldn't know what a kratzenfluffer is, where to find it, or what to do with it when I did."
[heavy sigh]"I suppose I can take a look at it. Come back in 3 days and stand in line again behind a hoarde of hipster skater kids for 2 hours listening to them Twitter so I can tell you there's nothing I can do for you, you've lost all your data forever, and then make clever remarks about it "never being too soon to start saving."

Sure, my PC needs to have its kratzenfluffer tweedled every so often, but at least I know where it is, how its supposed to work, and if it needs to be replaced I can do the job with a screwdriver and a bit of bent wire. Fruitstands are for bananas, and genius bars are where Hawking and Darwin go to get their drink on.[/rant]
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

<smiles benevolently>
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:Image
Shuttit Linuxboi. :P
James Blast wrote:<watches quietly from the higher ground>
Shuttit Macboi. :P
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

in my (their?) defense, EB, I had already diagnosed the problem myself. I said "It sounds like the logic board," and he said "OK, let's check that first." Two minutes later it was in the back of the shop. I didn't mean five hours waiting for a diagnosis, I meant five hours later they had replaced the logic board and it was ready to go. Oh, and that's the only problem I've ever had with it; as for hardware, I'm perfectly happy performing warranty-voiding upgrades myself, because I'm competent with these things.

I've experimented with Linux in the past, I just don't need that level of flexibility, or that much tinkering-under-the-hood. I don't have time for it any more.

edit: Jeesh, that sounds snappy. Not intended at all. Different strokes for different folks, etc.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The whole "Macs vs. Windows PC" thing is for other people who insist on spending money on stuff that should be free.
Everytime somebody installs Linux.... the communists have won.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

why free ?
i want your house, now.
mh
Above the Chemist

I've no probs with the concept of a free OS, but the whole issue for me is with Unix. If Linux was based on anything - anything - other than Unix I would probably snap it up, but I despise Unix.

An OS is just a means to an end anyway, isn't it?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote:An OS is just a means to an end anyway, isn't it?
very true :)

and after 13 years of windows usage i've found the last 3 years of mac usage to be a much more pleasant and hassle-free way of reaching a more satisfying end.

even if mac os x is build on top of freebsd, a unix-like os :lol: ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nodubmanshouts wrote:
The whole "Macs vs. Windows PC" thing is for other people who insist on spending money on stuff that should be free.
Everytime somebody installs Linux.... the communists have won.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :twisted:
sultan2075 wrote:I've experimented with Linux in the past, I just don't need that level of flexibility, or that much tinkering-under-the-hood. I don't have time for it any more.
The tinkering-under-the-hood satisfies my inner geek. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Of course, there is always the following option:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... me-os.html

:innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Google Chrome OS is still The Penguin though ;)
—Bertrand Russell