Headphone Terminology help needed

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I'm looking for a new pair of cans, primarily for listening to music/videos playing on the computer/TV. Can someone explain what the essential differences are between closed-back, open-back, and semi-closed types?

Gracias! 8)
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Well, i cant tell the diference but what i do can tell you is that i recently bought the Denon AH D 1001 along with an onkyo cs 525 mini system (cant sleep without listening to music...) and they are a damn fine pair of headphones, with excellent sound and very comfortable too. Excellent value for money. I owned before a pair of sennheiser cs 515 and they were completely crap compared to the denon.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0438643207
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

The housing, or earcup, of an earcup headphone will be either open or closed. Open headphones, sometimes marketed as “open air� headphones, have an open grille on the back of the earcup, exposing the driver to the outside and allowing sound waves to propagate away from the ear freely. This backing type does not isolate the listener from outside sounds; in addition, sound through open headphones can be heard by others in the vicinity of the user. They usually have less distortion due to the lack of earcup resonance. Closed headphones have a sealed backing, which attenuates sound waves propagating away from the ear. As a result, listeners away from the headphones cannot hear the produced sound easily. In addition, sound from outside is attenuated by the sealed backing, providing a level of isolation to the listener. A sealed chamber is often claimed to have the negative effect of distorting sound in certain frequencies due to resonances within the earcup housing, however, bass frequencies are stronger in a sealed chamber headphone design.

Sez Wiki. ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

auntie Wiki, auntie. and uncle Google.
Izzy HaveMercy

If it is for video-gaming-whatever where you don't want the whole neghborhood to 'enjoy' your gaming experience, use a closed pair.

For pro solutions, I use this:

Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250 ohms

It is magnificent, so I think it might suit your needs as well ;D

Maybe too pro but hey, I tried!

IZ.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:If it is for video-gaming-whatever where you don't want the whole neghborhood to 'enjoy' your gaming experience, use a closed pair.

IZ.
I have a pair of these and I hate them; the sound is fine, but I really find the coiled cable annoying.

I had assumed that all 'pro' headphones would at least have a detachable cable that could be replaced, eg if damaged, without replacing the entire headphone unit, but sadly this is not the case with these.
Izzy HaveMercy

Jeremiah wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:If it is for video-gaming-whatever where you don't want the whole neghborhood to 'enjoy' your gaming experience, use a closed pair.

IZ.
I have a pair of these and I hate them; the sound is fine, but I really find the coiled cable annoying.

I had assumed that all 'pro' headphones would at least have a detachable cable that could be replaced, eg if damaged, without replacing the entire headphone unit, but sadly this is not the case with these.
No problems with the coiled cable here. And a removable cable is really a problem when there is tension on it and you accidentally pull it out. The coil gives you soft strain when you move further away. This saves the cable from damage and you feel exactly when you have to stop moving.

I agree this might not be ideal in a home-cinema situation, but you could always hook up an extension cable...

You are wrong about the replacement tho, you can replace the cable without buying a new headphone. Thomann.de for example sells replacement cables for 20 euro. It is a straight cable and all, just what you need... ;)

IZ.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
No problems with the coiled cable here. And a removable cable is really a problem when there is tension on it and you accidentally pull it out. The coil gives you soft strain when you move further away. This saves the cable from damage and you feel exactly when you have to stop moving.

I agree this might not be ideal in a home-cinema situation, but you could always hook up an extension cable...

You are wrong about the replacement tho, you can replace the cable without buying a new headphone. Thomann.de for example sells replacement cables for 20 euro. It is a straight cable and all, just what you need... ;)

IZ.
Thanks for the info about the replacement cables; I wasn't aware of that. However, this does appear to require disassembly of the headphone and re-soldering the wires, which I am reluctant to attempt given my laughable efforts with replacing my guitar pickups.

I find using an extension cable is only a partial solution as even when I'm not near the limit of the coil's stretch, the weight of the coiled cable pulls down that side of the headphone and is a bit awkward.

Still good sound, and reasonable isolation from outside sounds, though as I have a small head I would be happier with a set of headphones with smaller ear surrounds.
Izzy HaveMercy

Jeremiah wrote:However, this does appear to require disassembly of the headphone and re-soldering the wires, which I am reluctant to attempt given my laughable efforts with replacing my guitar pickups.
It does, yes. But don't be afraid to get the soldering iron out. When in doubt, go to your local electronica store ans ask them to do it, should'n cost too much. In all, this should get you running again for 30 euro max, which is still a bit cheaper than replacing the whole headphone...

I'm still very pleased with them, then again, I use them when working with my PC and Cubase DAW, so I'm pretty close to my audio card where it is plugged in. I never have problems with the strain that way, since I'm only sitting a yard or so from my M-audio module ;)

IZ.