The Haçienda: how not to run a nightclub

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The Haçienda: how not to run a nightclub

Legendary venue the Haçienda had windows but no cloakroom, and lost owners New Order millions.

amusing article from today's Telegraph, contains bits of an interview with Hooky

http://is.gd/40p6P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

very interesting Main Man. That would be an interestng read that biography.

thank you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

On the Manchester Goff scene in the late 80s, early 90s, it was a point of principle never to go near the Haç. Full of f*cking pill-heads don't you know. So I never went. :lol:

I kind of look back on that with mixed emotions TBH. Drug snobbery is a strange thing.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Debi

markfiend wrote:On the Manchester Goff scene in the late 80s, early 90s, it was a point of principle never to go near the Haç. Full of f*cking pill-heads don't you know. So I never went. :lol:

I kind of look back on that with mixed emotions TBH. Drug snobbery is a strange thing.
well being from bristol and not on drugs any competitiveness is / was lost on moi :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:On the Manchester Goff scene in the late 80s, early 90s, it was a point of principle never to go near the Haç. Full of f*cking pill-heads don't you know. So I never went. :lol:
yeah, it was strange growing up in manchester and being into goth while all the madchester thing was going on around you.

you were aware of madchester, and when you looked past the dodgy flowered up videos on the chart show and the bandwagon-jumping soup dragons on top of the pops, you sensed that there was a genuine scene happening... albeit one that was happening over there :lol:

i remember hearing the first stone roses album when it came out and thinking that there was something interesting to it, but as a wee goth kiddy it just wasn't the done thing to be bothering with that kind of stuff... :lol: :roll:

i remember several goth friends that i'd met on the manc goth club scene getting bored with it all and veering off to try the burgeoning manchester Club (with a capital C) scene and experimenting with all the new drugs that came with it... we'd bump into each other occasionally and sadly i couldn't really relate to what they were doing :|

looking back now it's much easier to look at what was basically another scene's music and assess it on it's own merit, away from any stigma or snobbery that might have been around at the time...

manchester in the late 80s/early 90s was a very interesting place, on the whole 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debi

as was Brissol me gurt babber ;D

my goth club - called - The Whip :urff: of all names, was actually within the same building as a very "housely" club called The Studio. So we could actually venture into the "trendy" bit as we used to call it for a laugh / look see at all the "wierdos" in there :lol: They used to do the same to us though however but weren't nearly as brave - usually leaving pronto stylee as soon as they'd caught one small glimps of what it looked like :eek: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:looking back now it's much easier to look at what was basically another scene's music and assess it on it's own merit, away from any stigma or snobbery that might have been around at the time...

manchester in the late 80s/early 90s was a very interesting place, on the whole 8)
Yeah I think you've hit a nail there. Another scene's music.

And of course where would the goth scene be without someone to look down on and sneer at? ;D We sneered at the Madchester loons, we sneered at the crusties, we even sneered at each other* (and everyone sneered at the students :lol:).

There was a bit of resentment of the Madchester scene I think; it seemed like one weekend Afflecks was all winkle-picker boots and black shirts, then the next week it was all flared jeans and tie-die. I'm sure (in retrospect) that it didn't take over that quickly :lol:

I think there was even resentment of New Order too: "WTF are they doing turning their backs on Ian's memory and going all dancy-techno?" -- which is obviously bollox in retrospect; bands are allowed to grow, change, evolve, what-have-you.

* I think that got to be a real problem with the goth scene for a while (and for all I know, still is) -- the petty cliqueyness, bitching, and in-fighting. Tends to put people off.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I just stayed in liverpool. job done.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
James Blast
Banned

But Hark! he speaks....
it's not up yet but should be here or hereabouts tomorrow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n46hr#synopsis
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Picked this up in WH Smiths and was intrigued, might put it on my Xmas wish list. Mind you, I've not even seen Control yet so maybe I should prioritise!
I think that got to be a real problem with the goth scene for a while (and for all I know, still is) -- the petty cliqueyness, bitching, and in-fighting. Tends to put people off.
It does seem to be endemic to the scene. Thankfully I've skated past most of it, and just look down on people for irredeemable stupidity.
But I've met refugees from Manc', and they report it's still a seething cauldron of backstabbery and betrayal.

Leeds seems a lot more relaxed, perhaps because we didn't have a great social upheaval like Madchester? :|
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Debi wrote:as was Brissol me gurt babber ;D

my goth club - called - The Whip :urff: of all names, was actually within the same building as a very "housely" club called The Studio. So we could actually venture into the "trendy" bit as we used to call it for a laugh / look see at all the "wierdos" in there :lol: They used to do the same to us though however but weren't nearly as brave - usually leaving pronto stylee as soon as they'd caught one small glimps of what it looked like :eek: :notworthy:
Yup, the Studio was an odd mix of clubs.

Do you remember 'Badlands' that used to happen in a small room in the townie club The Ritzy on Baldwin Street?
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Debi

Ed Rhombus wrote:
Debi wrote:as was Brissol me gurt babber ;D

Yup, the Studio was an odd mix of clubs.

Do you remember 'Badlands' that used to happen in a small room in the townie club The Ritzy on Baldwin Street?
good lord, blast from the past!!! Yup!!

and Silks on a Tuesday night (Small Street?), The 69 Club (Yup, the gay bar, gay bar) at the bottom of the Christmas Steps on a Friday night, and um, Spirals in Yate on a Thursday night. Yup, them were't days......

did you live in Bristol then?

Were you lucky to see The Sisters at The Studio? I can't remember the exact year - around 85 / 86 me tinks. If I weren't busy i would look on the website - its on there.
;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Debi wrote:Were you lucky to see The Sisters at The Studio? I can't remember the exact year - around 85 / 86 me tinks. If I weren't busy i would look on the website - its on there.
;D
Sunday 31 March 85 -- Bristol Studio.

Sorry. Ignore the train-spotter in the corner.
—Bertrand Russell
Debi

markfiend wrote:
Debi wrote:Were you lucky to see The Sisters at The Studio? I can't remember the exact year - around 85 / 86 me tinks. If I weren't busy i would look on the website - its on there.
;D
Sunday 31 March 85 -- Bristol Studio.

Sorry. Ignore the train-spotter in the corner.
no,no, no, :eek:

thank you :notworthy:

what a brain you have there!!! :D

it should be imprinted in mine tbh being a memorable event in my life :lol:

but another is stealing my brain cells :urff: ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Debi wrote:what a brain you have there!!! :D
:lol: no, just fast look-up skills. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
Debi

markfiend wrote:
oh, you are far too humble indeed :lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Debi wrote:
markfiend wrote:
oh, you are far too humble indeed :lol:
Sorry, are we talking about the meercat master?!
:eek: :wink: