The Cult - Love, Love, Love

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Wow, Love is one of my all time favourite albums & I always felt cheated that that era of the Cult was over so quickly & was replaced by Wolfchild Astburys god awful heavy metal period. :cry:

The question is of course will they play the Love tracks in their original style or will they murder them in a hard rock style. This could be either a great gig for me or a total stinker.

I can see me being drawn to this gig, like a moth to a flame.
Give me one good reason
Ramone

[quote="Garbageman"].... when Mr Astbury had the awful false American accent!!!!
quote]

I used to go and watch the Cult alot back 'in the day' . Just after their re-birth from Death Cult, during the Dreamtime and the Love album periods - They were a great live act and gave 110%, but sadly it all went south during that ridiculous metamophosis from Earth saving Red Indian into the even more ludicrous Stadium Rock band of the early 90's - I tell you, it was like Spinal Tap and Bad News had had a bastard baby! - At the NEC in 1992, To watch Astbury in full flight during their live shows was both shudderingly sad and laughable. Yes, we got some AC/DC esque catchy tunes but the wailing and the constant "Yayyyy -Yahhhhh" just made them sound shameful and that little bit sad.

Astbury to me has never quite been the enigma he set out to be, he was less rock god and more of that sad guy you saw down the club every Saturday night trying to emulate some one else. From Mick Jagger ( he even used to to do the lip thing) to Robert Plant and everyone in between.

But, and bare this in mind kids, If you ever want to see an angry, pissed off miserable Manc midget in a fouler mood than even Morrisey on a wet Sunday afternoon just after City have lost to Everton- I suggest you attend a Cult show and stand in front of Billy Duffy and watch his entire range emotions that seem to switch from 'Total distain' to ' Grouchy tw*t" .

But saying all this, I do believe to this day that Hollow Man is a fine tune and Love can indeed be a fine album to while a way an afternoon. But if your ever bored and want a good laugh - just look at the sleeve pictures of Astbury . And the world will once again seem that little bit , sillier. :)
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

The Cult are harmless - a bit daft, but great fun :D
Four strings good, six strings bad
Ramone

Norman Hunter wrote:The Cult are harmless - a bit daft, but great fun :D
Spot on Norman !! They are the muical equivilent of a Farrelly Brothers movie - they make ya laugh, gross out ya girlfriend and make you wince from time to time but at the end of the day , it's just a laugh for 90 oddd minutes .

:lol: :!:
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Garbageman

Astbury no longer has the USA drawl and they really are a great rock band....Go West young man!!
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

gave sonic temple another listen yesterday and have to admit its a good rock album 8)

thought it was a bit pants at the time... that's when they lost me.

are any of their albums after ST any good? i remember the one with the 'native american' girl on the sleeve (the font leapt out at me, strangely enough ;)) but i had a look at the track names and they were pretty much without exception very embarrassing...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
vicus

Quiff Boy wrote:are any of their albums after ST any good?
I really enjoyed the "The Cult" album (with Mr. C. Adams) and the "Beyond good & evil" thing has also some great RRRROCK tunes on it - but the latest album (forgot it's title) really bored me.
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Garbageman

Agree with you Vicus apart from Dirty Little Rockstar, the last album was below par.
It was Born Into This.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
DerekR
Doobie Brother

weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

oooooooooooooh :notworthy:

need to get home and check post!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Add to the list:

Oct 11 - Heineken Music Hall - Amsterdam.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

hmmm. london looks feasible.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cant remember if i mentioned already or not but there's no aftershow party for this anymore... :|

there was one planned back when the gig was first announced - in the downstairs club, same idea as the sisters aftershow - but the academy people have got a regular club night running down there now, so it's a non-starter :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

"beyond good and evil" is still in top 20 albums rank.
Pista
Cureboi

Has anyone heard any of the shows yet?
The Lisbon show was the first one I heard where Astbury didn't persist in using his faux American drawl.
Bl00dy good show by the sound of it.
:wink: :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Druide
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PARIS was great !!!!

I love the LOVE album :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Next in Leeds :D
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Druide wrote:PARIS was great !!!!

I love the LOVE album :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Next in Leeds :D
Dude, look out for the baldie and the ginger one, mumbling away in the corner about kids and mortgages :lol:
Four strings good, six strings bad
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

indeedly
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Stunning YouTube capture Andie! :notworthy:

Did you enjoy yourself?
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
mh
Above the Chemist

They got the lineup back together for it too. :eek: Didn't know that.

There better have been a tribute to Nigel Preston too. Top class drummer.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ghost
Road Kill

The did a great show on Lisbon, and the whole Love album was played in a familiar way.

Unfortunately I lost most of the interest after that was over, but that's only a question of personal taste as the rest of the crowd was delighted with the heavier setlist that followed.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Saw an excellent Cult yesterday! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"