The Dead Weather

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I caught The Dead Weather on Jools Holland earlier in the week.

I'm no fan of Jack White - the opposite really, The White Stripes make me wretch. ;D But I was impressed with these lot. It's got the girl from The Kills and a dude from QOTSA. Fairly off the wall stuff.

Any opinions?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

They were good but not as good as The Raconteurs
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can't be doing with Jools Holland. It's always some world music w@nk that only ever gets listened to by hippies, or else jazz w@nk that sounds like none of the people are playing the same tune.

And OI! HOLLAND! LEAVE THAT PIANO ALONE!!!!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:I can't be doing with Jools Holland. It's always some world music w@nk that only ever gets listened to by hippies, or else jazz w@nk that sounds like none of the people are playing the same tune.

And OI! HOLLAND! LEAVE THAT PIANO ALONE!!!!
I agree on the Holland front. The guy loves himself and he's a twot.
But I still watch it - last week had Magazine doing Shot from both sides and The Light pours out of me. And Wolfmother.

There's very little choice when it comes to live music shows on the box, innit? :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Aye true, but I can't be arsed sitting through acres of sh!te for the occasional band I might be interested in.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:Aye true, but I can't be arsed sitting through acres of sh!te for the occasional band I might be interested in.
Iplayer solves that problem. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Glad this was brought up - did they support The Cult at Leeds?
Four strings good, six strings bad
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:Glad this was brought up - did they support The Cult at Leeds?
no, wasn't them :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:I caught The Dead Weather on Jools Holland earlier in the week.

I'm no fan of Jack White - the opposite really, The White Stripes make me wretch. ;D But I was impressed with these lot. It's got the girl from The Kills and a dude from QOTSA. Fairly off the wall stuff.

Any opinions?
Love 'em! :D
The album has been getting pretty heavy rotation in my household.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to catch them live.

I've actually got a fair bit of time for Mr White, mainly 'cause the guy is willing to try new things and puts out material (on vinyl) on a regular basis.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
OI! HOLLAND! LEAVE THAT PIANO ALONE!!!!
Come on, wouldn't you be a little bit smug is you had his job?
Another pay check for having his mates round for a jam.

I really like the diversity.
I wouldn't rush out to buy any of the world music but I can appreciate the skill behind it, though I have to admit that the jazz wankery does grate.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
Norman Hunter wrote:Glad this was brought up - did they support The Cult at Leeds?
Are you sure? Same looking long-haired singer, same-looking bassist, same wierd set-up the guitarist uses?

I guess I could always look them up on the Internet, but seeing as I'm at work The Man may not like it too much :eek:
James Blast
Banned

Wank with Jools Holland would be a more appropriate title, he's the luckiest baisturt on BBC someone wants to twist his arm
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:Wank with Jools Holland would be a more appropriate title, he's the luckiest baisturt on BBC someone wants to twist his arm
or perhaps his neck
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

Norman Hunter wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
Are you sure? Same looking long-haired singer, same-looking bassist, same wierd set-up the guitarist uses?

I guess I could always look them up on the Internet, but seeing as I'm at work The Man may not like it too much :eek:
I can't find any record of them supporting The Cult anywhere, so Weebs is right I guess. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DJ Nephilimbabe
Road Kill

I caught a glimpse of Dead Weather on a broadcast of the last Glastonbury festival, and totally loved them form just hearing 'Treat Me Like Your Mother'.

I eagerly anticipated their album and was not dissapointed at all and have on occassion, played it at various gigs I've DJed at - even goth ones!
esox
Road Kill

Yep, Treat Me Like Your Mother gets my vote, for the vocals and moog synth line, caught them by accident on Glastonbury '09 (TV, unfortunately).
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

esox wrote:Yep, Treat Me Like Your Mother gets my vote, for the vocals and moog synth line, caught them by accident on Glastonbury '09 (TV, unfortunately).
Maybe I'm the only one who saw them support The Cult at Leeds. Weebles/Derek - did you spike my lager? :urff:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Norman Hunter wrote:
esox wrote:Yep, Treat Me Like Your Mother gets my vote, for the vocals and moog synth line, caught them by accident on Glastonbury '09 (TV, unfortunately).
Maybe I'm the only one who saw them support The Cult at Leeds. Weebles/Derek - did you spike my lager? :urff:
i think you might be :lol:

http://rockgig.blogspot.com/2009/10/cul ... -2009.html

"Let’s get the support band over first – Aqua Nebula Oscillator- easily the worst band I’ve seen in 28 years of gigging. Just a wall of noise, if they were performing in my front garden I wouldn’t open my curtains to watch. "

:lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?