PLEASE HELP! - a request from an auld graphic dude

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

Done, I'm member 3211
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
James Blast
Banned

we shall overcome, thankee folks :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

I rather liked Freehand. Done.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
James Blast
Banned

Gawd bless ya guv'nor, yer a real gent and no mistake! :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Does auld now mean fookin' ancient? :innocent:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
James Blast
Banned

Button it, Hun! :twisted:
~ Peter Steele
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Well, I've never used Freehand or Indesign, but I'll sign up anyway, as I have been very annoyed in the past when companies abruptly ceased development of software I had spent money and time learning to use.

I shall try to take this as a repeated warning not to get too dependent on any software product from any company, as there is no guarantee it will still be available in 5 years time - or 5 months time.

I'm interested in the audio rather than graphical side, and there are many similar examples. (Did you know that B4, the Hammond organ simulator recently mentioned in another post has been discontinued by Native Instruments, as well as some of their other analogue synth modelling plugins.)

I'm not suggesting the reasons are always as dubious as in the case of Freehand, but whatever the reasons, the effects on the users who have come to depend on the product is the same.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

This is where free open source software comes in handy. Even if the original developers get bored (or whatever) someone else can fork the source and keep it going.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell