Berliner Mauer

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Didn't The Hoff claim that he was single-handedly responsible for the destruction of the Berlin wall? :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Didn't The Hoff claim that he was single-handedly responsible for the destruction of the Berlin wall? Laughing
That would be just the truth :wink:
canon docre
Overbomber

Norman Hunter wrote:Over to you, Miss Andree...
What do I know actually, I was in Brixton hospital when the Wall came down. The nurse told me: "Your people are united, look." pointing to a muted TV. My reply: "ah, you shouldnt believe that, it's prolly a comedy." the Wall will NEVER come down." (Secretly I thought, damn how did the peeps from bbc do it. The even got the stone washed jeans-look right.)

The next months in Berlin were like a overcrowded Bad Taste party.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
James Blast
Banned

now that's interesting, c'mon tell us more Jess

BTW it's guid tae see ye still check here :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:now that's interesting, c'mon tell us more Jess

BTW it's guid tae see ye still check here :D
And good to see that you're still the stronghold of HL, Mr. Blast. :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

I guess it's my 2nd home, I have to be here being over 50, single but not sad :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

no, it's a great place with great people. And hopefully that will never change. 8)
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

It surprised you, Jess? Speaking as an auslander, with hindsight and historical textual observations, it seems like it was a natural conclusion to a series of developments...

Perhaps it looked different, from the inside?
canon docre
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:It surprised you, Jess? Speaking as an auslander, with hindsight and historical textual observations, it seems like it was a natural conclusion to a series of developments...

Perhaps it looked different, from the inside?
The historic view is always different from the contemporary point of view. From the inside at that time it was absolutely not natural. It was even unthinkable. I mean, whatever happened in Hungary and other countries before (like people climbing over border fences and not getting shot) was absolutely unimaginable in Berlin, with our Wall. Our Wall was guarded by armed forces, there where self shooting devices, mines, barb wire etc etc. The DDR regime was very stubborn. No one got over this Wall alive and countless died trying it. I grew up with this wall as an eternal monument. On the day itself it was a misunderstanding that lead to the opening of the border and the non-shooting of people crossing the border. A mere coincidence. (Think Tiananmen massacre, think about the Hungarian Revolution in 56 things didnt work out well there)

I know it's not comparable, but we think that 9/11 was a natural conclusion after years of Bush politics, wars and terrorist attacks in other countries, but for the New Yorkers themselves it still came quite surprising. :wink: