Backwardigans

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nada
Road Kill

Ok – it may be a dead duck… but, either because of insomnia, or, perhaps, as part of a bad abstinence crisis of (how many?) years without a new album…. either/or… I decided to hear the ones I’ve got - in vinyl and backwards!
It all “backwardly� started with “Under the gun�: in the very end of the song, no matter how hard I tried, I could not understand a f**** word sung… excused the fact that I’m not a native speaker, nor Mr Eldritch’s pronunciation the clearest (as I used to think), neither is his (wonderful) deep voice a good helper of sorts… But, backwards, if hallucination didn’t take over, I’ve heard “I don’t love you� – quite clearly… Proceeding with the song, while Nunn is singing, it sounded to me like “live William� :eek: …
I remembered a thread, about a year ago, where it was discussed the inlay messages and that “Porky prime cut� from early records (checked on Anaconda and Alice). It seems to me that, by that time, an important point in Beatles’ mythology was missed (or I don’t remember its mention): the (in)famous so called devilish messages from the songs when played backwards….
So, there I went to check on some of the records I’ve got and I found pieces of sentences, such as:
In “Flood I�: “walk across the water� (under the chorus); “it’s true�(?), “which you come�, “is home� (?) (under the first three sentences of the song);
In “This corrosion�: “you used the name the lowest� (can’t remember where… sorry!)
I tried the process with the Cds, but they proved to be not as effective – I don’t know why (maybe it’s my “sound forge’s� illiteracy giving away…). So, I ordered a vinyl copy of FALAA…I started the process today and, again, as a non native, it’s really hard. But… in “Possession�, speeding it (speeeeeeed), words kind of merged together… and I’m not really sure about what I’ve heard…. At times, there was, under the chorus again, something like “jealousy�, at others, with more speed, a whole sentence finished by “expecting that much� (under the first verse).
Is there any information about this in the forum? Has anyone else been that much unoccupied to find out more about the subject?
"For want of a rider the battle was lost."
James Blast
Banned

seek help
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nada wrote: Has anyone else been that much unoccupied to find out more about the subject?
Can't imagine... :|
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Next thing you know you'll be hearing Satan telling you to kill your neighbours.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Or that all goths are satanic! :roll:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Incredible, until today I've never got to know how to make my record player turn directions ...

It's like abstract painting - some work form all four cardinal points. But what does this mean?

Let me quote some good old Motörhead verse ...

The only proof is in the way you hear the truth ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

put this on insomnia. and don't take the net so serious.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

MadameButterfly wrote:Or that all goths are satanic! :roll:
or that the Sisters are a satanic goth band. ;D
"as we walk on the floodland"
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Ozpat wrote:
:lol: Oh yes, that one too! :lol:
that ongoing eternity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Interesting thought. So I tried it with You Could Be The One and it's still sh*t.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I can recommend some nice parks to walk around :wink:
Four strings good, six strings bad
Silver_Owl
The Don

Ozpat wrote:
The next time somebody at work says..."So what sort of music are they then?" I know what my answer will be. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
paul
Overbomber

Nada, You lead an empty life, my friend :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Some people hear words in backwards music. And some people see Jesus in a Marmite lid.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh, he looked a bit grim on that day and his following a bit at a loss about how to cheer him up ... :roll: ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

I see an alien in that Marmite lid, but that's just probably me! ;D
Hommy wrote:The next time somebody at work says..."So what sort of music are they then?" I know what my answer will be. :wink:
:lol: Oh I dare you! :twisted:
that ongoing eternity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Slightly off topic. Have never played it backwards meself, but the backwards bit in the Biccies 'Christian Rock Concert' says something about Shane Fenton in a Euston Hotel. Apparently. :eek:
The Chancer Corporation
GC
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Some people hear words in backwards music. And some people see Jesus in a Marmite lid.
Looks more like Zodiak Mindwarp to me
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

to get strange messages from a sisters record you don't have to play it backwards!

there are enough in the right direction
love is just a shot away
_emma_
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:to get strange messages from a sisters record you don't have to play it backwards!

there are enough in the right direction
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Nada
Road Kill

Any different reaction would make me fell kind of disappointed, really!
but... anyone ever tried?
Pat wrote:Interesting thought. So I tried it with You Could Be The One and it's still sh*t.
And, Pat, forget it! Miracles are more difficult to happen :lol:
"For want of a rider the battle was lost."
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Nada wrote:Any different reaction would make me fell kind of disappointed, really!
but... anyone ever tried?
Pat wrote:Interesting thought. So I tried it with You Could Be The One and it's still sh*t.
And, Pat, forget it! Miracles are more difficult to happen :lol:
:lol: The HL effect! :wink:
It's been tried on me before. Not with TSOM but with Madonna and I can't even remember who else when I was a teen. It was the way of frightening us kids not to listen to "dark" music! If you are going to play records backwards of course you'll hear weird messages, ever trying to speak backwards? It's called gibberish! I'm sure some artists may have "hidden messages" in their songs played backwards, but those kinds don't seem very :von: like so no, I won't try it either.

And careful now Pat and Nada YCBTO is a sex song! :wink: ;D
that ongoing eternity
Being645
Above the Chemist

MadameButterfly wrote: And careful now Pat and Nada YCBTO is a sex song! :wink: ;D
Exactly, and even viewed from all cardinal points ... ;D ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Being645 wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote: And careful now Pat and Nada YCBTO is a sex song! :wink: ;D
Exactly, and even viewed from all cardinal points ... ;D ...
Well done my dear and welcome to our secret club! :wink: 8)
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

backawardigans - why?: cardigans on back to front, really thick Weegies (careful now folks), a Geordie term of direction?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele