A country without Borders?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Those damn dirty apes, what have they done?
The Borders bookshop chain in the UK is on the verge of going into administration.

The company has filed court documents stating its intention to appoint accountancy firm BDO as administrator.

Borders, which has 45 stores in the UK, has suffered from increased competition from online retailers, such as Amazon, as well as supermarkets.
Its website has stopped taking orders for new books while it "is in discussion with potential buyers".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8380268.stm
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Turnabout is fair play; if the big chains (Waterstones, Dillons, Borders) hadn't f*cked over the rest of the trade when they reneged on the Net Book Agreement, I might have more sympathy.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Same here in Belgium. ExtraZone and Bilbo, two of the more interesting stores left to find some cd's to my liking, are on the verge of closing up shop.... :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
abridged
Slight Overbomber

We have one bookshop, an Easons that only does the popular stuff, so as much as I'd like to support local enterprise the internet is cheaper and faster when ordering. We had one independent store for quite a while but it was very expensive and quite unfriendly which isn't the way to go about things I guess. Maybe niche retailing is the way to go, particularly for record shops.
The Chancer Corporation
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

What's a book?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

weebleswobble wrote:What's a book?
It's like the Internet but made out of a dead tree.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
:lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:
It'll never catch on.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :notworthy:
End of line.
robertzombie
Overbomber

That's a shame :( Always enjoyed their buy one get one half price deals.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

The staff at the Starbucks in the Borders bookstore [in Brighton] have been told that the store is shutting down in four weeks.
(clicky)
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I don't know how it is in the U.K. but big chain bookstores never have the books I want in any subject.The last straw for me was when I spent 20 minutes in Borders looking for Dante's Divine Comedy.I searched the Classic section-no. I searched Literature-nope.They had The Divine Comedy in the World History section. :?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I found Borders' magazine outlet to be very wide-ranging and impressive, and their partnership with GAME guaranteed to divorce me from my money!

I might be more accepting of their demise if I knew of a good independant bookshop in Leeds...?