Top ten great singers who can't sing

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

where's Ian Curtis ? where's Lemmy ?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

What? No 'Dialtone' Morrissey in that list?

Booo! :(

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
christophe
Overbomber

I would say Dani Filth but he is not that great is hé :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy

christophe wrote:I would say Dani Filth but he is not that great is hé :innocent:
Shut up.

He's not that big ;D...

IZ.
christophe
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
christophe wrote:I would say Dani Filth but he is not that great is hé :innocent:
Shut up.

He's not that big ;D...

IZ.
:lol:
btw, its unfair of me.
I actually never have heard him sing :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy

christophe wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Shut up.

He's not that big ;D...

IZ.
:lol:
btw, its unfair of me.
I actually never have heard him sing :innocent:
I did ;)

My second gig ever was as opener for Cradle of Filth back in 1993.

It was fecking ace. Danii is one nice feller.

IZ.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

They seem to have selected people who have had a large impact on society and culture - lending credence to the idea that whatever is considered 'correct singing' is only 50% (at best) of the effect!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Wasn't aware you were in Yorkshire, Chairman! Where's the plausible deniability going? :eek:
christophe
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I did ;)

My second gig ever was as opener for Cradle of Filth back in 1993.

It was fecking ace. Danii is one nice feller.

IZ.
I saw Cradle 2 times at the Graspop festival, but that is not the point :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

I like the bit in the article about Johnny Cash, who "sang in time and in tune" but is nevertheless listed as somebody who "can't sing". Eh? How's that work, then?

Even taking into account my rabid hatred of Bob Dylan, I'd take anyone on that list over the f**king yodelling cack patented by the likes of Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston that mistakes bluster for soul and carefully calculated voice "cracks" for emotion, and which seems to be considered the benchmark for "great singing" by X Factor fame whores. It's people like that who I'd say genuinely can't sing - although, to be fair, I'm not sure Mariah Carey has ever actually tried. One day she may attempt to hold a tune (or, indeed, venture into the general vicinity of one) instead of practising her scales in public.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

metal on metal wrote:I like the bit in the article about Johnny Cash, who "sang in time and in tune" but is nevertheless listed as somebody who "can't sing". Eh? How's that work, then?

Even taking into account my rabid hatred of Bob Dylan, I'd take anyone on that list over the f**king yodelling cack patented by the likes of Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston that mistakes bluster for soul and carefully calculated voice "cracks" for emotion, and which seems to be considered the benchmark for "great singing" by X Factor fame whores. It's people like that who I'd say genuinely can't sing - although, to be fair, I'm not sure Mariah Carey has ever actually tried. One day she may attempt to hold a tune (or, indeed, venture into the general vicinity of one) instead of practising her scales in public.
Seconded, without a moment's hesitation.
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

I do agree about Siouxsie Sioux though. I'm a big fan but she never convinced me on that chorus of Israel... even back on the good days.
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

The only singer I think actually deserves to be there is Tom Waits.
You can take a tiger out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the tiger... on the other hand, the tiger can't step into the same river twice because other waters are always flowing on to it. Yeah.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

metal on metal wrote:One day she may attempt to hold a tune (or, indeed, venture into the general vicinity of one) instead of practising her scales in public.
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mh
Above the Chemist

metal on metal wrote:I like the bit in the article about Johnny Cash, who "sang in time and in tune" but is nevertheless listed as somebody who "can't sing". Eh? How's that work, then?

So long as we agree to add in the torrent of nightmarish caterwauling that is Celine Dion (don't say her name 3 times!) I'm with you all the way here.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

I kind of feel that Madonna sounds like someone sharpening a knife.

They missed Anne Marie off the list though.
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Fuckin' watch it you :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
sultan2075
Overbomber

Toaster Mantis wrote:The only singer I think actually deserves to be there is Tom Waits.
Nope. His voice may be very rough (even bad), but he's a great singer: he's always on time and in the right key for the song. He's got a rusty saw of a voice, but he knows how to use it. While it might not seem so, Waits is actually a very controlled singer.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Agree with Sultan and Pista.
Worst thing about Madonna is not that she can't sing but she's even not pretty enough to be a pop star (and we never was).
scotty
Overbomber

Shane McGowan :notworthy: :notworthy:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:
Pista wrote:
:lol: :lol: :P
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Selena
Amphetamine Filth

I agree with you.

PS: Macy Gray is missing in this list. To me, she sounds like a toad that tries to sing.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:where's Ian Curtis ? where's Lemmy ?
Dead and on-tour, in that order.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Dark
Underneath the Rock

scotty wrote:
Pista wrote:
Richt behind ye. :twisted: