Gary Numan interview in Teh Grauniad

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

when he met Malcolm McDowell?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Nice interview ... :)
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:eek: I would say fair play Mr Numan for cars and friends electric but when he starts saying Bowie's a talentless buffoon who hasn't the musical talent to write a good tune my good nature will be overcome and I would say...

Oi Numan NO! You may be the veritable master of moog inspired misery and electronic, audio representations of the kind of entropy emerging in society and as much as I admire your dedication to a dystopian view that does not give you the right to criticise one of the true stars of out time.

I'd give him a slap, time him up with electical cable dump him in the boot of my car and chuck him down a disused mineshaft under cover of darkness and teach him some manners
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
numan
Road Kill

darkparticle wrote::eek: I would say fair play Mr Numan for cars and friends electric but when he starts saying Bowie's a talentless buffoon who hasn't the musical talent to write a good tune my good nature will be overcome and I would say...

Oi Numan NO! You may be the veritable master of moog inspired misery and electronic, audio representations of the kind of entropy emerging in society and as much as I admire your dedication to a dystopian view that does not give you the right to criticise one of the true stars of out time.

I'd give him a slap, time him up with electical cable dump him in the boot of my car and chuck him down a disused mineshaft under cover of darkness and teach him some manners

Here is Numan's explanation of Bowie situation:

“In addition to performing ‘This Wreckage’ on Top of the Pops I was supposed to be doing ‘I Die You Die’ on the Kenny Everett Christmas Show. It was an excellent and very important show to be on as the ratings were massive. The programme’s director was a man called David Mallet, who also directed many of David Bowie’s videos at the time. After I’d recorded my bit for the show, Mallet told me that Bowie was going to be there the following Thursday and did I want to come along and watch? I turned up a week later, very excited and a little nervous, to watch the great man in action. There was a little side room which I stood at the back of, well out of the way, behind Bob Geldof and Paula Yates, and a reasonable group of other people whom I didn’t recognise. I was very intimidated by the whole thing. I’d only been famous myself for a short time so I was still completely in awe of famous people. Bowie started performing his track and then suddenly everything stopped. A whispered discussion with Mallet followed and then Mallet came over, took me to one side, and said that Bowie had seen me and it would be better if I left. So I was thrown out which, apart from being extremely embarrassing, was really quite sad because I was a huge Bowie fan. Then, a few days after that, I was taken off the Christmas Special as well and I ended up on a normal Kenney Everett show a couple of months later. I was told at the time that Bowie’s hold on Mallet has ensured I was taken off the programme. I was stunned by the whole affair. That a man so huge in stature, practically a living legend, would be so insecure about a new pretender like me was very disappointing. I had expected him to be far above any of that. He seemed so much older than me, so much more at ease with things, firmly established. It surprised me to find out he was just as racked with insecurities as I was, as anybody else.”

Gary Numan, Praying to the Aliens: An Autobiography (1997), pp.99-100
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

numan wrote: That a man so huge in stature, practically a living legend, would be so insecure about a new pretender like me was very disappointing. I had expected him to be far above any of that. He seemed so much older than me, so much more at ease with things, firmly established. It surprised me to find out he was just as racked with insecurities as I was, as anybody else.�

Gary Numan, Praying to the Aliens: An Autobiography (1997), pp.99-100
I would think rather than Bowie being insecure he just didn't want to be seen on the same show or even in the same room as someone as crap as gary numan. s**t sticks.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Big Si
School Bully

Bowie also had John Lydon thrown out when he saw him backstage at an Iggy Pop gig. Years later, Bowie forced his way backstage at a PiL gig, demanding that Lydon meet his son (who was a big fan of PiL). John told him exactly what he thought of him :wink:

It's mentioned in John's autobiog 'No Irish....'
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis