Ebook Readers

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Does anyone own one?
My Mother (despite me being 39) asked me yesterday for my Xmas list. :oops:
I was wondering whether to chance my arm and ask for one.
I'm still unsure if I agree with the concept or not. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

bit of a minefield from what I've read, I'll dig out a linky
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in that I prefer my books to be made from dead trees.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

here's some old farts talking about the pros and cons http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/k ... r-treasure
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:here's some old farts talking about the pros and cons http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/k ... r-treasure
Thanks. Still none the wiser but some interesting viewpoints all the same. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in that I prefer my books to be made from dead trees.
Yeah I'm like that too! The smell and touch and just belonging to you or the library. Just make sure to plant a few trees a year Mr. Fiendy! :wink:

I also sent lists to S.A. to my sister that my mum will bring with her when she comes to visit! :D
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

smell the glove
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

is it leather?
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

it's made of animal flesh, will that do?
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

put like that, no thanks i'll pass..
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

ye do ken whaur leather comes frae, aye?
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

aye! my docs, boots, long black jacket are all made from it.

just i don't eat the meat where it comes from and in my thinking, you lot have so i'm just using the flesh so it doesn't go to waste.

i'm not explaining my views on this subject on hl thanking you!
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

so I've gotta eat the insides/leftover product of your shoes?... shabby

I don't mind ;D
~ Peter Steele
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm guessing it's the same as owning a download lp as opposed to having a a slab of vinyl of a slither of cd. It's all about what you want from what you buy.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

James Blast wrote: I don't mind ;D
I know! :twisted:
that ongoing eternity
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I think e-books are a bit too 1984 type thing for me
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

I have to agree with the rest, Id much rather curl up with a book I can feel and smell.
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
Silver_Owl
The Don

Oh forget it. :|

:lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

I have a PRS 505, and it's honestly one of the best things I've ever purchased. Of course, that's not to say I don't still love real books as well! In many ways, real books are superior , but my ebook reader is really just convenient when I am travelling as I read fairly rapidly and without it I'd have to carry lots of books around instead. That said, if you're not into classic lit, you might not be happy about having to buy ebooks for (mostly) the same price as the real thing...

Then again... you can find a lot of other stuff for free online if you know where to look
Silver_Owl
The Don

the_inescapable_truth wrote:I have a PRS 505, and it's honestly one of the best things I've ever purchased. Of course, that's not to say I don't still love real books as well! In many ways, real books are superior , but my ebook reader is really just convenient when I am travelling as I read fairly rapidly and without it I'd have to carry lots of books around instead. That said, if you're not into classic lit, you might not be happy about having to buy ebooks for (mostly) the same price as the real thing...

Then again... you can find a lot of other stuff for free online if you know where to look
Thanks for that.
Other questions - is it like an Ipod, as in you connect it to your PC to download the books.
What's the battery life like?
Does it have a back light so I can avoid the inevitable 'Are you read to put the light off now?' after 5 minutes of reading in bed. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

It works like an iPod, yeah. You use some library software to sync your books on to the device. You can use Sony's own or Calibre. The advantage of Calibre being is can download webpages and turn them into ebook format with decent formatting automagically.

The battery life is long. I think something like 8000 page turns. I went away for a week and used it for at least an hour a day and there were still three out of four 'bars of charge' left.

For reading in bed, I use a Mighty Bright book lamp clipped to the top of the device. It's actually very good for reading in bed. Easy to hold.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

in case anyone's still interested in these, there's a comparison/review of several different ones here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/12/11 ... k_readers/

:)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Thanks Boss.
I cam eto the conclusion they're too expensive.
I'm guessing they'll come down in price when the dust settles.
It takes me about 3 months to read a book at the moment anyway. :oops:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote: It takes me about 3 months to read a book at the moment anyway. :oops:
time management or are you moronic? :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Silver_Owl
The Don

weebleswobble wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: It takes me about 3 months to read a book at the moment anyway. :oops:
time management or are you moronic? :wink:
Both - moronic for having 2 kids and 2 dogs. And not enough hours in the day to read. :|
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.