Swans are not dead

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

The official Swans Myspace page just got changed from saying "Swans are dead" to "Swans are not dead".

And there's a new demo called "Jim" available to listen to, credited to M Gira/Swans (available at both http://www.myspace.com/swansaredead and http://www.myspace.com/younggodrecords).

If I understand it right, it claims to be from a forthcoming CD/DVD called "Not Insane" which would relate it to the recent release of a portfolio of drawings by Michael Gira called "I Am Not Insane".

Anyone have any more information about this?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

No, but I'm predictably excited :eek: :D :D :D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
boudicca
Sister Midnight

...even though I don't believe in reunions :lol:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Well, there were rumours circulating last year of a Swans reunion tour at some point in the near future.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Great news! Nothing from Jarboe as of yet. May not necessarily be a reunion. Maybe new people...
The Chancer Corporation
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ooh, exciting stuff :D
in dub we trust
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'd quite fancy seeing them 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ooh!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I saw their last ever UK gig in London in 1997 and it was great - if they do a new tour I'd highly recommend seeing them
abridged
Slight Overbomber

The Burning World has to be the most underrated album ever! :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote:The Burning World has to be the most underrated album ever! :notworthy:
and "Mona Lisa.." the most underrated song ever
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Yep! Or 'Saved'! If there was one song Johnny Cash should've covered...
The Chancer Corporation
James Blast
Banned

is this shoutey bangey artwank Swans or naff indie rock Swans?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

New Album and Tour confirmed:
COMING SOON, NEW SWANS ALBUM AND TOUR(S)

The song “Jim� recently added to the playlist is an acoustic demo (solo at home)
recording by michael gira. this, and many other new songs recorded in the same way comprise many of the new (rough versions) of songs under consideration, to be fleshed out on the coming new swans album. a cd of these acoustic versions, as well as a live (2 shows) dvd of m.gira will be for sale very soon as a hand made (by gira) package called I Am Not Insane (CD/DVD). this package – in a limited edition of 1000 - will be sold in order to raise money for the swans recordings/offset the huge costs involved... check back here or at http://younggodrecords.com for ordering details and more information...coming soon...coming soon...

principal players on the swans album are (and there will be many special guests):

Michael Gira / gtr / voice / mendicant friar act (original swans)

Norman Westberg – Guitar (original swans)

Christophj Hahn – Guitar (mid period swans and most angels)

Phil Puleo – Drums, percussion, dulcimer etc etc (final swans tour and most angels)

Chris Pravdica – Bass and gadgets (flux information sciences / services/ gunga din)

Thor Harris, Drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, etc etc... (angels, now also with shearwater)

Angels Of Light is temporarily on hold while gira pursues his “new� project...
Source: Facebook Page and MySpace page
radiojamaica
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:I saw their last ever UK gig in London in 1997 and it was great - if they do a new tour I'd highly recommend seeing them
I can say the same about their last ever Belgian gig on that same tour. I was very impressed/blown away and that's an understatement!
in dub we trust
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:is this shoutey bangey artwank Swans or naff indie rock Swans?
Shoutey bangey artwank. Which is nice. 8) :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:is this shoutey bangey artwank Swans or naff indie rock Swans?
BURN HIM!
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

saw Mike Gira a few years back at King Tuts in Glasgow---quite a subdued affair----------a million miles away from noise merchants that were the Swans
this probably means a trip south to see them if and when Swans dates are announced!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

sam1 wrote:saw Mike Gira a few years back at King Tuts in Glasgow---quite a subdued affair----------a million miles away from noise merchants that were the Swans
this probably means a trip south to see them if and when Swans dates are announced!
Are you sure it wasn't at the Arches? I was there and I got a big American handshake and grin from him afterwards :eek: :notworthy:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

boudicca wrote:
sam1 wrote:saw Mike Gira a few years back at King Tuts in Glasgow---quite a subdued affair----------a million miles away from noise merchants that were the Swans
Are you sure it wasn't at the Arches? I was there and I got a big American handshake and grin from him afterwards :eek: :notworthy:
He's a nice guy - I saw him doing some of his Angels of Light stuff in Nottingham a few years back. After the gig nearly everyone had left and I was just finishing off my beer. He was still on the merchandising table, so I went up said I thought the gig was great. I went to leave and he asked me my name, grabbed one of the CDs, signed it, and gave it to me for free. :D
sam1

it was definitley at king tuts 2003/04?--still got the ticket stub(yeah I'm one of those who keep years and years worth of used tickets!!!!!!) --met mike afterwards ---i got a signed Angels of Light cd as well..but I had to buy it!
and I bought HIM a beer--I feel a bit done now!!!
Drenchrom

I too saw that last Swans show along with the Angels Of Light. Top news.

Matt..
boudicca
Sister Midnight

No beer was exchanged between me and Mr. Gira, sadly! I wonder if I should've handed him my Smirnoff Ice :lol:

Jarboe is notable by her absence though... which actually surprises me as she always seemed to be the one that was more keen on maintaining the Swans website and mentioning Gira and her past a lot on her own (while Gira seemed desperate to get away from his previous work and frequently said he hated various aspects of it)... plus she's always doing about a million projects at once. I have to say, I don't think it's a "real" reunion without Jarboe :|

I'll still be going to see them though! 8)
James Blast
Banned

you 'artwanking miserablists' might enjoy reading this :lol:
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/swans-reform

and here's some free 'artwank' for ye
http://omardigital.rodriguezlopezproduc ... um/despair

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Hot off the press (about 1 minute ago) from Mr Gira:

Hello there,

I have decided to focus my energy on Swans once again. I'm reactivating that project. A new album is in the works, and touring will follow in fall of
2010. In order to help raise funds / help defray the considerable costs of recording and promoting the new album, I have made a special CD/DVD limited edition handmade package called "I Am Not Insane" available exclusively at the YGR website. You can read about the CD/DVD, and my decision to reactivate Swans at this link:

http://younggodrecords.com/Releases/Detail.asp?C=2326

Thanks Very Much, and God Bless You,

Michael Gira / Swans / Angels Of Light / Young God Records