Sex with dwarves, and rocks that roll

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Well, not quite - but nice piece by Baxter Dury about his dad, Ian, in Teh Grauniad.

'My dad was lovely, bubbly ... and annoying'
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

Word Magazine beckons Dude - seems he was a cunt, which kinda upset me http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/s ... e-ian-dury
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Interesting reading. Thanks both of you.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Love Mr Dury but alas I believe he may have been a complete prick
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Will give these a proper read when I'm not wasting company time. Much obliged, gennelmen.
Debaser
Overbomber

Garbageman wrote:Love Mr Dury but alas I believe he may have been a complete prick
You see I'm not totally convinced he was but (1) I wasn't related to him (2) Was never friends with him (3) Didn't have to rely on him for anything. So my judgements is based soley on what I've heard/read/seen about him. There was a documentary not so long ago and he came across as a very personable kind of chap.

In the end, I love him because of the sounds and words he created. If he was a git then so be it.

p.s. Similarly, I also wrestle with liking Pete Townsend, Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

F*ck it, don't wrestle. Their music is separate from whatever they might have been like as people.

Vincent van Gogh was a complete head-the-ball, but a lot of people seem to rate his paintings.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:F*ck it, don't wrestle. Their music is separate from whatever they might have been like as people.

Vincent van Gogh was a complete head-the-ball, but a lot of people seem to rate his paintings.
Hitler was also a good artist. But would you want one of his paintings hanging on your wall?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: To be fair, I've seen some of Hitler's watercolours and IMO he wasn't very good.

Take your point though.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Best thing in Judge Dredd The Movie ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:F*ck it, don't wrestle. Their music is separate from whatever they might have been like as people.

seconded.
and I'm talking about real artists, so small Osterich corporal is not a part of this group.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

As somebody who meets artists (of the visual variety) regularly it's actually much harder when the artist is a really nice person but their work is terrible. You want to help them because they're nice but can't because they ain't very good and showing it would reflect badly on you as a curator. Of course all opinion is subjective so I try to point them in the direction of somebody who may like it if I do not. On the other hand if an artist is a pain in the arse, eventually you'll tell them where to go unless there is money to be made and since there generally isn't in my part of the world patience with pains in the end wears thin. Sounds harsh and slightly selfish but it's the way of the world I think probably in most places. Guess the lesson in my sphere is, be nice when you're popular and people (at least those with faith in your work) will be nice when you're not.
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

hard to disagree with you abridged ( i got a slot's day today). business is business and we can't forget that if artist's a talented person both (manager/curator/or whatever you want to call him/her and artist/band) won. menago got his money (plus good opinion as someone who found great talent) and Mr artist - having money from making Art and fame.

we learn how to divide world on selected and hermetic part and that's good 'cause mixing roses with cabbages is not the best way to survive in this world.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

that's why i always go for the roses! :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

You're right to an extent Bartek especially when money is involved but as I operate in the public rather than private arts sphere there isn't alot of money to be made for any of us. That's why i generally cut most artists a lot of slack, especially the talented ones. It's a difficult life being an artist of any sort. There's always idiots like me who's job is to judge work and offer a show or a page in a magazine to somebody else, so I tend to have alot of sympathy and empathy for artists. But in the end people have to be nice (if only on the surface) as i do try and popularise them and their work after all so that a project works. After that open season is fair enough, if only i hope with a justified rationale.
The Chancer Corporation
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Seen it, loved it. Very authentic.

I thought you lot preferred your idols on the bastardly side?
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

we don't know the nice side of ''that'' ''idol''. :wink:
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Bartek wrote:we don't know the nice side of ''that'' ''idol''. :wink:
You are presuming he has one.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

not exaclty, all i tried to say is: we (i) know only one side of his public/media image.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

There is only one side.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

if you say so.
frankly i don't care about that, that much. whatever he's doing is up to him and/or people who (have to) stand with him.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Very true.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Chairman Bux wrote:There is only one side.
One measures a circle starting anywhere.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Chairman Bux wrote:I thought you lot preferred your idols on the bastardly side?
You might very well think that...

Then again, I couldn't give a tuppeny damn if Francis Bacon beat his wife, if Lucien Freud pinched the goldtop from his neighbours, or if Hieronymous Bosch regularly got absinth on tick and never payed his tab. Gary Glitter diddled kids, but it doesn't make Rock n'Roll Part II any less of a bangin' choon.
On the other hand, I don't rate Hitler's watercolours, but he did make the trains run on time, and Albert Speer's architecture, while echoing Hausmann, is still breathtaking in its scale.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

I've never been able to get absinthe on tick. :(