Sisters Artwork - Themes /Origins

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
lachert wrote: + damage insert:

nice, but nothing about the cover :?
Five original Sisters?

Never knew there was an insert. Now I'll have to find one...
I'd like to know some more info about the original Sisters! :D
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah Madame Butterfly i didn't but if you pick up the early issues you'll see what i mean. I think I have a spare copy of issue four somewhere. If I can find it you can have it. It's doing nothing in the bottom of a box....
The Chancer Corporation
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've got this one, might part with it... Issue Four/Summer 91
Mothra

robertzombie wrote:
stufarq wrote:

Five original Sisters?

I'd like to know some more info about the original Sisters! :D
Gary Marx had this to say in the interview in Glasperlenspiel
Question 9) Deep apologies for this but can we get into Sisters trainspotter mode for a while? The Sisters first single came out in 1980, but there are very vague rumours about the band existing in various guises before then. Can you remember any details about what happened before Damage Done, and whether Merciful Release Records existed before then?

The band didn’t exist, but a band did. Andrew was the drummer, his girlfriend was the keyboard-player, I was the guitar-player (despite never playing guitar before in my life), the bass player was called Johnny (every band around that time was obliged to have at least one person called Johnny) and a local Leeds ‘face’ called Keith Fuller sang. It’s so long ago that I can’t remember if we ever had a name – we certainly never played a gig or recorded a note. We barely made it through a rehearsal without scud missiles being deployed. The only thing that band did was throw me and Andrew together. The pair of us set up Merciful Release to create a label identity for the Damage Done single.

Think the whole interview is on here somewhere, the magazine is definitely on line (see recent thread), and you can also read it here...
http://ghostdance.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566 (great interview btw)
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

abridged wrote:Ah Madame Butterfly i didn't but if you pick up the early issues you'll see what i mean. I think I have a spare copy of issue four somewhere. If I can find it you can have it. It's doing nothing in the bottom of a box....
I'm sure I will see what you mean. That's a very generous offer abridged!
Thanking you very much sir! :notworthy:
davedecay wrote:I've got this one, might part with it... Issue Four/Summer 91
Well if you do decide to part with it, please let me know! I am willing to buy it. Thanking you!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Mothra wrote:Gary Marx had this to say in the interview in Glasperlenspiel
Question 9) Deep apologies for this but can we get into Sisters trainspotter mode for a while? The Sisters first single came out in 1980, but there are very vague rumours about the band existing in various guises before then. Can you remember any details about what happened before Damage Done, and whether Merciful Release Records existed before then?

The band didn’t exist, but a band did. Andrew was the drummer, his girlfriend was the keyboard-player, I was the guitar-player (despite never playing guitar before in my life), the bass player was called Johnny (every band around that time was obliged to have at least one person called Johnny) and a local Leeds ‘face’ called Keith Fuller sang. It’s so long ago that I can’t remember if we ever had a name – we certainly never played a gig or recorded a note. We barely made it through a rehearsal without scud missiles being deployed. The only thing that band did was throw me and Andrew together. The pair of us set up Merciful Release to create a label identity for the Damage Done single.

Think the whole interview is on here somewhere, the magazine is definitely on line (see recent thread), and you can also read it here...
http://ghostdance.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566 (great interview btw)
Ah, thanks. I had read this before and knew that there were pre-Sisters activities but, being an official insert, thought this must refer to some other period that I knew nothing about. Strange thing to put in an official insert when so much of it is, shall we say, economical with the truth.
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:

Five original Sisters?

They were thinking about the doctor, that's the fifth...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
Prescott

Ah, but wasn't the band in question The Impossible Dreamers? I remember someone saying that they recorded an E.P. called "Trains, Trains, Trains". I could never verify that though. They did record, (MR1) "Books, Books, Books". The drummer was named as Martin Taylor though, not, Andrew Taylor, and Mr. Marx was supposedly the guitar player.

Interestingly enough, if you type "Trains, Trains, Trains" + "Martin Taylor" into google you get a bunch of photos of freight-trains painted in the "shiniest shades of yellow and blue".

http://trains-are-hell.photos.me.uk/

Hmmm? Books and Trains, sounds like stuff that Von likes alright. ;)
"... because we're that kind of people."
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Very funny... :urff: ... :cry: ...
Prescott

Being645 wrote:Very funny... :urff: ... :cry: ...
??? :oops: ???
_emma_
Overbomber

I digress, but may I mention again that the "shiniest shades of yellow and blue" is the headlines in the "technical boys" section on the oficial site. Those colours are painfully perfect, so beautiful that my skin hurts whenever I look at them, thanks for reminding me. :notworthy:
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Madame Butterfly, have found said item. If you pm me with an address I'll send it over in th next day or two. Wasn't the Impossible Dreamers a band with Johnny Marr? May be wrong there.
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Prescott wrote:
Being645 wrote:Very funny... :urff: ... :cry: ...
??? :oops: ???
Can't and won't explain that, Prescott. It's not your fault, just another unlucky coincidence...

Btw, did I mention I really like the TBOT's website ... :D ... and what you did to Ribbons ... :wink: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Prescott wrote:Ah, but wasn't the band in question The Impossible Dreamers?
Their website would suggest not. They were an Exeter band, recorded several singles (including the Books EP and also August Avenue, which was produced by Johnny Marr and had a big sticker on the cover promoting the fact) and half an album (Ready in the Rhythm Section, which has a picture of a train on the cover) between 1980 and 1987 and don't appear to have included any future Sisters. Only Books and the album were on MR, which, accrding to the Sisters wiki, appears to be a different label with the same name as the address was in London.

http://www.impossibledreamers.co.uk/index1.htm
http://www.sisterswiki.org/Merciful_Release
Prescott

Eh, it's probably a wild-goose chase. :urff:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

something the like ... :lol: ...

However, I found iLiKETRAiNS a very nice choice as support act for the Mechanised Europe Tour ... :D ...
Mothra

Prescott wrote:Ah, but wasn't the band in question The Impossible Dreamers? I remember someone saying that they recorded an E.P. called "Trains, Trains, Trains". I could never verify that though. They did record, (MR1) "Books, Books, Books". The drummer was named as Martin Taylor though, not, Andrew Taylor, and Mr. Marx was supposedly the guitar player.

Interestingly enough, if you type "Trains, Trains, Trains" + "Martin Taylor" into google you get a bunch of photos of freight-trains painted in the "shiniest shades of yellow and blue".

http://trains-are-hell.photos.me.uk/

Hmmm? Books and Trains, sounds like stuff that Von likes alright. ;)
Safe to say that The Impossible Dreamers are absolutely nothing to do with the popular beat combo that inspired MyHeartland http://www.impossibledreamers.co.uk/misc.htm.

I think a lot of the rumour stems from this http://gps.tsom.org/history.html that to me seems amazingly informative but at the same time ambiguous.
For instance, the second paragraph suggests that Eldritch did jail time for graffiti (surely my interpretation!?) when it says "There are rumours that Taylor was sent down after the college authorities translated the Chinese graffiti that had appeared on the college walls" - not something I've seen elsewhere.

I agree with Randall Flagg though; there's a great book waiting to be written (hint hint PiB), but surely it would need the collaboration of all parties originally involved (which would hopefully make it read like The Saga of Hawkwind :lol: ).

And in a vague effort to keep the the thread even vaguely on topic, no I'm afraid I've no idea where The Damage Done artwork comes from. :D 8) 8)
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah I think 'sent down' means expelled from University... tis a posh way of saying it, often mentioned with regard to Oxford and Cambridge....
The Chancer Corporation
Mothra

Solves that one!! Cheers!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

you're wrong,

meanwhile

the best team won
Goths have feelings too
Mothra

paint it black wrote:you're wrong,

meanwhile

the best team won
About which part? :? 8) :oops:

Did Mr Avalanche know them all when he went to Exeter University to get his doctorate?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I dunno, "sent down" does mean expelled from Uni. So PiB can't mean that bit.

I would be very surprised if :von: was "sent down" in the "sent to prison" sense for something he did at Oxford; the University likes to keep its little embarrassments as internal matters rather than involving the Law.

Maybe he's just being PiB and f*cking with our heads ;D

Actually I think he's saying that this is wrong: "The Impossible Dreamers are absolutely nothing to do with the popular beat combo that inspired MyHeartland".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

as for leaving oxford, wasn't the official explanation that andrew's course required spending time overseas, and that he didn't want to do that, so he moved to leeds because it was one of the few unis that did the same (?) course, but without requiring time overseas...?

or was that overseas thing the reason he dropped out of leeds uni?

i forget.

not that one should ever trust official explanations with this band, anyway :lol: :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
vicus

I think in the Baktabak-Disk Interview he said, that "they" wanted to send him to Peking. He wanted to go to Taiwan. So he left.
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ah, yes. i've had that for years... that would make sense re: where i heard it. cheers for clearing that up :D

http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy ... ase/834900

as i said though, just because he says it, it doesn't make it true :lol:v

oh yeah. and as an aside on the subject of dante:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/d ... o-reprint/

wtf :lol: :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?