Sisters Artwork - Themes /Origins

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:as for leaving oxford, wasn't the official explanation that andrew's course required spending time overseas, and that he didn't want to do that, so he moved to leeds because it was one of the few unis that did the same (?) course, but without requiring time overseas...?

or was that overseas thing the reason he dropped out of leeds uni?
Wasn't Leeds where he studied Chinese? You usually have to do a year abroad for a languages course.

I'm sure it's in Postcards but I'd have to go and check.

Edit: Went and checked. It is, of course, in the sleeve notes to SGWBM. Eldritch studied Chinese at Leeds, although he doesn't actually mention the reason for dropping out there.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Perhaps someone should/could transcribe this interview CD ...
Big Si
School Bully

stufarq wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:as for leaving oxford, wasn't the official explanation that andrew's course required spending time overseas, and that he didn't want to do that, so he moved to leeds because it was one of the few unis that did the same (?) course, but without requiring time overseas...?

or was that overseas thing the reason he dropped out of leeds uni?
Wasn't Leeds where he studied Chinese? You usually have to do a year abroad for a languages course.

I'm sure it's in Postcards but I'd have to go and check.

Edit: Went and checked. It is, of course, in the sleeve notes to SGWBM. Eldritch studied Chinese at Leeds, although he doesn't actually mention the reason for dropping out there.
I understand he dropped out because he didn't want to have to go to Peking as it's a very small city compared to Beijing or Shanghai (about 12 square miles I think he said). It was also during the Cold War, so he wouldn't have been allowed to travel outside of the city (even now in Russia there are still areas where non-military personnel and especially foreign nationals are not permitted to enter). I mean you're in China you want to go and see The Great Wall don't you? :wink:

Secondly, I don't think he really fancied a boring career in the Foreign Office, and with the advent of Punk, he fell in love with Pere Ubu, dropped out and got himself a cat and a flat above a chemist's :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Big Si wrote:I understand he dropped out because he didn't want to have to go to Peking as it's a very small city compared to Beijing
They're the same place.
Big Si wrote:Secondly, I don't think he really fancied a boring career in the Foreign Office
That rings a bell.
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Prescott wrote:Ah, but wasn't the band in question The Impossible Dreamers? I remember someone saying that they recorded an E.P. called "Trains, Trains, Trains". I could never verify that though. They did record, (MR1) "Books, Books, Books". The drummer was named as Martin Taylor though, not, Andrew Taylor, and Mr. Marx was supposedly the guitar player.

Interestingly enough, if you type "Trains, Trains, Trains" + "Martin Taylor" into google you get a bunch of photos of freight-trains painted in the "shiniest shades of yellow and blue".

http://trains-are-hell.photos.me.uk/

Hmmm? Books and Trains, sounds like stuff that Von likes alright. ;)
I have got the MR1 books books books and MR7 Live on eart from Impossibles/impossible dreamers. Don't know if it's a large quantity of those records.
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
Big Si
School Bully

stufarq wrote:
Big Si wrote:I understand he dropped out because he didn't want to have to go to Peking as it's a very small city compared to Beijing
They're the same place.
Oh no they aren't :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Big Si wrote:
stufarq wrote:
They're the same place.
They're just different pronunciations, from different dialects (Fujianese and Mandarin), of the same name for the same city. However you pronounce it, it means "Northern Capital".
Big Si
School Bully

stufarq wrote:
Big Si wrote:
stufarq wrote: They're the same place.
They're just different pronunciations, from different dialects (Fujianese and Mandarin), of the same name for the same city. However you pronounce it, it means "Northern Capital".
:!: :von: was talking bollocks then :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Big Si wrote:
stufarq wrote:
Big Si wrote: Oh no they aren't :wink:
:!: :von: was talking bollocks then :roll:
What else is new?
"... because we're that kind of people."
H. Blackrose

I think Big Si may be misremembering Eldritch's story:
the young Andrew Taylor couldn't get a foothold in the class-conscious, punt-happy Oxford milieu and abandoned his course at the end of the first year. He went north, to Leeds University, to learn Chinese. Unnerved to learn that the plan was to dispatch him to Peking for a year of some intensive, closer-to-the-action tutelage, he dropped out and went on the dole. His Chinese is now, he admits, pretty shaky. He's still to meet a Chinese person he can speak it to--the restaurants round his way are all run by Cantonese people who speak a different dialect.
(source)
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Being645
Wiki Wizard

nice to read that, thank you ... although this was about 18 years ago ...
Big Si
School Bully

H. Blackrose wrote:I think Big Si may be misremembering Eldritch's story:
the young Andrew Taylor couldn't get a foothold in the class-conscious, punt-happy Oxford milieu and abandoned his course at the end of the first year. He went north, to Leeds University, to learn Chinese. Unnerved to learn that the plan was to dispatch him to Peking for a year of some intensive, closer-to-the-action tutelage, he dropped out and went on the dole. His Chinese is now, he admits, pretty shaky. He's still to meet a Chinese person he can speak it to--the restaurants round his way are all run by Cantonese people who speak a different dialect.
(source)
Nup, I still remember the interview I heard where he said he quit because he didn't want to go to Peking because of it's small size and he wouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere. :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Being645
Wiki Wizard

... in order to add to this extremely entertaining gossip ...

I have heard somewhere, he failed an important exam which, in his opionion, they let
him fail because they didn't see him suitable for a career in the Foreign Office ... however,
since he was already involved in music he decided to follow that line ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

our dear :von: failed at subjects when music was getting in the way!

right or wrong?

stop cutting the man's what if's and what what's.
just go on the wild goose hunt and your information will come to you.

okay enough said about what some of us already know, :wink: anymore of you long lost fans that want to earn money selling me your books i asked about in one of my posts in this thread?

pretty please, this is something i would like to build up as i love reading.
and many thanks to the two gents that have helped me out so far on this request! :notworthy: :notworthy:

looking forward to post! :kiss:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

Sisters Scrapbook no. 341 of 500, yours for £50

"next year Rodders we'll be..." :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

you'll be owing me one of these days love!

a Madame does not work for free! even to loved ones. :twisted:
that ongoing eternity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

MadameButterfly wrote: stop cutting the man's what if's and what what's.
just go on the wild goose hunt and your information will come to you.
I perfectly agree ...
MadameButterfly wrote: okay enough said about what some of us already know, :wink: anymore of you long lost fans that want to earn money selling me your books i asked about in one of my posts in this thread?
Now that you say that I slightly remember where I had it from ... and the whole context of it ... :urff: :urff: :urff:.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Don't read all my posts then, they can be hardcore. Sisters Chat we stick to the topic or a slight slide within one.

General Chat crap stays in there, not in here.
that ongoing eternity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Don't worry, it's not been in here. :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Engliss ees not zer furst lanwage! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

You say it and likewise German is not exactly other people''s first language ... especially when it comes to regional dialects ...
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I was wondering if anyone knew the origins behind the Damage Done artwork, essentially the origin or source of the photo on the cover. :?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Yes, you did ... and wasn't this the answer? No, not really ... :roll:
lachert wrote:ok, so here you go an article, alsow taken from Y's site, "f is for fake" where dd cover is mention:

"The front cover photo was just a cheery: a Victorian graveyard scene supposedly taken from a short film depicting a funeral procession."

Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nah, I was hoping for more specifics than just "supposedly".

More than that, and given the extremely consistent and corporate approach to the band, the MR label, font, image and identity I still find the DD sleeve fascinating and was hoping someone out there might know more, especially given the high quality information ref Body Electric, Alice and others.

Flagg
H. Blackrose

Big Si wrote: Nup, I still remember the interview I heard where he said he quit because he didn't want to go to Peking because of it's small size and he wouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere. :|
I remember that same interview, although I can't find it online, and the point was that foreign students in Peking (pre- the market reforms era) would be confined to a very small area of this huge city. Plus the winters are effin' freezing.