Neil Gaiman

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Debaser
Overbomber

Is gonna write an episode of Dr Who :notworthy: :notworthy:

Crikey blimey
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yay!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I think it could be really good for Doctor Who to get some guest writers in occasionally (especially if they're of Neil Gaiman's calibre - I'm looking forward to that one).

However this should only be an occasional thing - the problem with guest writers is that it makes it far more difficult to create well-crafted story arcs across a series (or even across series).

I'm really hoping that Steven Moffat tones down the "Timmy Mallett in Space" tendencies of the last few series (which in all fairness I think was primarily a feature of RTD's writing), which would be even more unbearable with Matt Smith, and instead turns it into something closer to a modern version of Sapphire and Steel (actually I could see Neil Gaiman writing an episode of Sapphire & Steel). A young actor playing the Doctor needs to be far more serious in order to be taken seriously, as he'll lack the gravitas of age and experience.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

His episode of Babylon 5 was pretty good, so hopefully this bodes well. :D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

OOohhhh!!!!! Have to keep an eye out for that one. I have to admit I have not seen that many ep of Dr Who, but some. They ofcourse do not send it here.

Currently reading The Graveyard Book, allthough a children book, so far I quite like it.
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Fingers crossed! I can't imagine him writing anything 'goofy', but the Eleventh Doctor comes pre-prepared with daft catchphrases. :roll:
A young actor playing the Doctor needs to be far more serious in order to be taken seriously, as he'll lack the gravitas of age and experience.
Wise words indeed! Davison managed it well, I thought. Conversely, quality has decreased since McGann.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:Conversely, quality has decreased since McGann.
I dunno, I thought Chris Ecclestone was awesome. David Tennant played to the gallery a bit much for my liking.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

markfiend wrote:
I dunno, I thought Chris Ecclestone was awesome. David Tennant played to the gallery a bit much for my liking.
Can't disagree with that.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
James Blast
Banned

you all should be spanked and made to watch Mad Men, check this pie chart

or the bit with words - http://www.cracked.com/funny-4033-christina-hendricks/
;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

markfiend wrote:
I can see it I suppose, but I couldn't get to grips with Ecclestone's brash Northern monkey routine. Mind you, McGann himself kind of phoned in his performance - got the idea he'd read the script, but nobody took the time to explain it to him...

I'll never be pleased, I've read most of the Virgin New Adventures!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I thought there was a real other-worldliness to Ecclestone's performance though. (And as his Doctor said, plenty of planets have a North.)
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

You'll have to show me some time, I can't see it myself! Too ready with the laughs, too fumbling with the 'dark times' IMHO.

But I'm a stubborn git over DW, so please don't take offence!
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

The clips for the new series looked good, well the ones without the student Doctor...

It's a bit f**king Twilight-lite ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I find the concept of Twighlight-lite about like a low fat version of skimmed milk! :lol:
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Wasn't Stephen Fry supposed to be doing an episode which came to nothing in the end? Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed someone at the BBC will see sense and give him the chance to play the title role at some point. John Cleese and Tim Curry are too old now.

I'm too glad RTD is gone.On the one hand RTD did bring the show back, but..he can't write decent characters for s**t now. The biggest example being that overblown American queen Captain Jack. Davies wrote realistic gay men in QAF, why such a panto performance?
And turning the Master into a "Evil Doctor on meth" rather than the Bond villain with a sense of humour we had previously.
For me the biggest thing has been the air of disappointment. You get excited for a big plot twist only to find it's actually rather dull. "Daleks vs Cybermen!! Oh..that was quick. And one-sided.."."The Time Lords are back?? Oh..wait..no..they're not..and they're evil now..hang on, Rassilon?? Wasn't he dead centuries before the Doctor was born? And what's with the Oven-Mitt of Doom?? Oh..they're gone again. Oh, is that his mum?"

I still say there hasn't been a credible actor in the role since Colin Baker, and look at the terrible plotlines they gave him..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Debaser wrote:[Neil Gaiman] Is gonna write an episode of Dr Who :notworthy: :notworthy:

Crikey blimey
But not until next year, just in case anyone got a bit too excited there.
markfiend wrote:
Can't agree with you there. Ecclestone always seems so uncomfortable in his own skin that he never convinces as a real person, never mind as a fictional one. One of the most overrated actors of his generation (alongside forever bored Kevin Spacey). Tennant, on the other hand, was charismatic, exciting and a damned good actor to boot. Took him a while to settle in but once he did, he became definitive in the way that Tom Baker was in the old days.
DeWinter wrote:I'm too glad RTD is gone. For me the biggest thing has been the air of disappointment. You get excited for a big plot twist only to find it's actually rather dull. "Daleks vs Cybermen!! Oh..that was quick. And one-sided.."."The Time Lords are back?? Oh..wait..no..they're not..and they're evil now..hang on, Rassilon?? Wasn't he dead centuries before the Doctor was born? And what's with the Oven-Mitt of Doom?? Oh..they're gone again. Oh, is that his mum?"
I'll agree with that (the bits that I've actually left in. Personally, I liked Jack, although Barrowman in person is annoying.) On the whole, I'm confident that Moffatt will change things for the better, but there are a few worrying signs that he's listened to RTD too much. The bloody Daleks are back yet again (is anyone not completely fed up of them?) and the Doctor snogs his companion (always to get a gratuitous rise out of the audience when RTD did it, Moffatt's The Girl In The Fireplace being the only occasion when it actually had a genuine place in the story). And Moffatt described in a recent interview how he and the other execs spend most of their time watching all of the dailies as they come in. Does it not occur to anyone these days to trust the directors they hire to do their jobs and just wait and see the first rough cut? RTD spent too much time controlling every aspect of the show (anyone read his overpriced whinge The Writer's Tale, where he complains about having to rewrite every script cos none of the writers he hires are capable of, er, writing?) and I had hoped that Moffatt wasn't going down the same road.
Debaser
Overbomber

stufarq wrote: But not until next year, just in case anyone got a bit too excited there.
I didn't think that bit was important :lol: There's nowt wrong with a bit of excitement.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote: The biggest example being that overblown American queen Captain Jack.
To be fair, I think that's more Barrowman's fault than RTD. Although with a bit of direction someone could have reined him in.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I'm going to reserve judgement until actually I've seen a few episodes.
Based on what Moffat has written for the series, I'd say he is a far better writer than RTD. He's managed to capture the "hiding behind the sofa" quality that has been sadly lacking.
Call me repressed, but what's with all the emotional incontinence?
To date, the show has lacked subtlety in defining the relationship between characters.
Sometimes less is more.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I only dip into Dr. Who occasionally but I saw the Moon episode on BBC Three last night with the D'Doon (?). I was spellbound from start to finish.
It was also the first episode I've seen with martha in. Wow. :eek: :P

And I love Gaiman - it can only be a good thing. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.