save BBC 6 Music

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It has been a rumor for sometime now that the BBC was going to make budget cuts in the future, these cuts have alway linked themselves to the developing digital radio stations.

The Times newspaper has reported "The BBC will close two radio stations, shut half its website and cut spending heavily on imported American programmes in an overhaul of services to be announced next month."

"In a wideranging strategic review, he will announce the closure of the digital radio stations 6 Music and Asian Network and introduce a cap on spending on broadcast rights for sports events of 8.5 per cent of the licence fee, or about £300 million."

To me and many hundreds of thousands of people stations like 6Music provide the alternative service that we want in a radio station, and not the constant repeated and regurgitated output of the FM broadcasts of Radio 1 & 2.

This maybe a pointless and unorgainised petition (if you want to help just ask) that will never get anywhere but I would like to think that there are people out there that want quality and choice in what the BBC broadcast.

Who knows maybe we can make a difference.

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/6musicasiannet/1000/
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The BBC should decide which it wants to be, a public-service broadcaster or a commercial one.

If (as it should IMO) it goes the public-service route then it needs to stop the audience-chasing drivel and concentrate on making real programmes again.

The commercial channels can do the sports, the soap operas and the "Strictly come dancing on ice"s, let the BBC do what it's good at, serious documentaries, dramas, wildlife programming etc.

Similarly with radio, Radio 1 is indistinguishable from any number of commercial radio stations, ditch Radio 1 and concentrate on the public-service stuff that Radio 6 does.

Having said all that, perhaps it's worth thinking about the source of the story. It could all just be a Murdoch wet-dream of what he would like the BBC to do...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

People on FB are becoming fans of this so it must be true.

Shame, if it does die you can always listen to kinkfm.com. From your own pc.

:wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

MadameButterfly wrote:People on FB are becoming fans of this so it must be true.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Clarification:
markfiend wrote:concentrate on the public-service stuff that Radio 6 does.
should have been "that Radio 6 (among others) does". Radios 3 and 4 are worth saving too IMO. (Not that they're under any specific threat at the moment.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:People on FB are becoming fans of this so it must be true.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew YOU would like that! :wink: :lol: :notworthy:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

They should still get rid of
teen services Switch and Blast
Mainly because I hate teenagers. :wink: ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
moses

If the BBC is owned by the British License Fee payer and the British Government why weren't the license payer (their customers) offered a referendum? Or am I being naive :urff:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
sam1

well ,at least some thing's good in the news today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 507286.stm
Dark
Underneath the Rock

So their teen service "Blast!" is to be shut down, huh? Oh how the mighty have fallen ;)
James Blast
Banned

careful
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele