so, who watches welsh language tv?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Spigel wrote:
markfiend wrote: Northern Ireland...
We will be taking that back very soon, thanks very much ;D
:lol: I don't even want to go there. Any comment of mine on this issue is bound to offend someone. So as discretion is the better part of valour, I'm valiantly running away from this one.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Don't worry we are only want to get our hands on some of those decent football players they have up the north cos ours aren't up to much. You can keep the rest. You can take the Corrs if you want them too. We don't mind ;D
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Let's face it, come the revolution everything will be in Chinese ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Spigel

:eek: Even the Corrs??
nodubmanshouts

I'm down with adopting any language other than English as the World Language, as long as-

* its easy to pronounce
* easy to spell phonetically
* does not require kanji!
GC
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Let's face it, come the revolution everything will be in Chinese ;D
I would n't mind being in Chinese :innocent:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Gollum's Cock wrote:I'm from Gwynedd (sorry for the spell check)
No, don't apologise. Actually, I thought I had corrected it. I couldn't remember which spelling was the correct one so I Googled it. And then obviously forgot to change it!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nodubmanshouts wrote:I'm down with adopting any language other than English as the World Language, as long as-

* its easy to pronounce
* easy to spell phonetically
* does not require kanji!
Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts

Nope, but I'd be happy to if it were adopted as the world languagE1
DeWinter

nigel d wrote:at the risk of sounding racist
you english / johnny foreigner types forget that the uk is 3 separate countries.

england is not britain as a lot of english seem to think.

how many english programmes are broadcast to (english) ex pats in foreign countries (were johnny english is in the minority) at my expense as a license payer.

carry on s4c, BBC wales and all other government funded welsh language programmes.

My school was not funded for allowing me to learn welsh as a child due to english educational pressure.
and my school was as far west in south wales as you could get before falling in the sea.

rant over. gets coat.....
The English believe as they main UK milch-cow in terms of the license fee and every other damn tax going,they ought to get the final say-so in things. Not an entirely unreasonable request, I'd say.
If enough of your fellow countrymen want Welsh only programming or teaching, then pay for it yourselves. If there's not enough of you to pay, you can't have it. In terms of population numbers, there's more sense in the Asian Network staying, or a brand new Polish language channel than Welsh.
Spigel:
By golly, take it!! Talk about a financial millstone around our necks. Even Thatcher tried to get rid of it desperately. At least the Falklands has oil. Mind you, I doubt Ireland could have afforded it a few years back during the boom, never mind now when you're hurtling along with the rest of the British Isles back to the 1970's..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
nodubmanshouts

Kind of what he said. On planet nodub, everyone pays for the programming they want, and not for the programming they don't.

Having the government decide what programs get made is complete and utter bollox, as demonstrated by the first post on this thread..
scotty
Overbomber

Nope, but I watch the Scottish speaking programes sometimes for a laugh, Padraig Post is a right giggle!
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Let's face it, come the revolution everything will be in Chinese ;D
I think at the moment China is the 3rd largest English speaking Nation :innocent: not the best Engrish though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Re Northern Ireland:
DeWinter wrote:Even Thatcher tried to get rid of it desperately.
Did she? I was under the impression she was quite keen on keeping the Union intact.

Or did I imagine the IRA trying to blow her up in Brighton?
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Apparently she wanted to redraw the border and give Derry and the other in her view dodgy bits to the Republic. Ironically Derry is now in the last four of the UK city of culture competition! ;D
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well you live and learn ;D
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
nigel d wrote:at the risk of sounding racist
you english / johnny foreigner types forget that the uk is 3 separate countries.

england is not britain as a lot of english seem to think.

how many english programmes are broadcast to (english) ex pats in foreign countries (were johnny english is in the minority) at my expense as a license payer.

carry on s4c, BBC wales and all other government funded welsh language programmes.

My school was not funded for allowing me to learn welsh as a child due to english educational pressure.
and my school was as far west in south wales as you could get before falling in the sea.

rant over. gets coat.....
The English believe as they main UK milch-cow in terms of the license fee and every other damn tax going,they ought to get the final say-so in things. Not an entirely unreasonable request, I'd say.
If enough of your fellow countrymen want Welsh only programming or teaching, then pay for it yourselves. If there's not enough of you to pay, you can't have it. In terms of population numbers, there's more sense in the Asian Network staying, or a brand new Polish language channel than Welsh.
Spigel:
By golly, take it!! Talk about a financial millstone around our necks. Even Thatcher tried to get rid of it desperately. At least the Falklands has oil. Mind you, I doubt Ireland could have afforded it a few years back during the boom, never mind now when you're hurtling along with the rest of the British Isles back to the 1970's..
Many of us Welsh would like to pay for it ourseleves unfortunately most of our taxes are collected/squanderd by a certain foreign nation.
nodubmanshouts

And which Nation would that be? Obviously not the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Island, since Wales is a part of that nation, and therefore not foreign.
GC
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:And which Nation would that be? Obviously not the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Island, since Wales is a part of that nation, and therefore not foreign.
Wales (and Scotland) did not choose to be part, forced upon takes the warmth away. Compare it if you like to the USSR (only softer :D )

And we've got our own national rugby, football etc teams so that proves we're foreign :lol:
DeWinter

Gollum's Cock wrote: Wales (and Scotland) did not choose to be part, forced upon takes the warmth away. Compare it if you like to the USSR (only softer :D )

And we've got our own national rugby, football etc teams so that proves we're foreign :lol:
Scotland did. Act of Union 1707. Signed by Scotland's representatives. Well, using the word loosely. The English public were against it, saw no reason why they should bail Scotland out of the Darien disaster. But English troops stationed in Scotland meant it being used as a base for French operatives less likely.
As for Welsh tax money flowing into England, that's quite funny. Even Plaid Cymru changes it's tune every now and again on full independence because it doesn't think Wales can hack it alone.
Basically, I don't care what my ancestors did to yours, and I decline to pay for your entertainment!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
GC
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote: Wales (and Scotland) did not choose to be part, forced upon takes the warmth away. Compare it if you like to the USSR (only softer :D )

Scotland did. Act of Union 1707. Signed by Scotland's representatives. Well, using the word loosely. The English public were against it, saw no reason why they should bail Scotland out of the Darien disaster. But English troops stationed in Scotland meant it being used as a base for French operatives less likely.
As for Welsh tax money flowing into England, that's quite funny. Even Plaid Cymru changes it's tune every now and again on full independence because it doesn't think Wales can hack it alone.
Basically, I don't care what my ancestors did to yours, and I decline to pay for your entertainment!
The English are our entertainment :twisted: :lol:
nodubmanshouts

Us... and flossy :innocent:
GC
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:Us... and flossy :innocent:
better than watching s**t welsh tv :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

DeWinter wrote:[The English public were against it, saw no reason why they should bail Scotland out of the Darien disaster.
To stop us from nipping over the border and bullying them. Which we did a lot back then. Plus they didn't want us ganging up against them with the French.
DeWinter wrote:Basically, I don't care what my ancestors did to yours
That. Which is why I refuse to sing Flower Of Scotland at the rugby or anywhere else. Let's let bygones be bygones and then give each other a kicking in the name of sport.