the end of the record industry as we know it?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

moses wrote:it's such a shame that it's all about money. Buy an acoustic guitar :D
Kill all hippies!

It's NOT about money, it's about break-even. Do you people even read what I post? :?:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
moses wrote:it's such a shame that it's all about money. Buy an acoustic guitar :D
Kill all hippies!

It's NOT about money, it's about break-even. Do you people even read what I post? :?:

IZ.
Yes I read it.

Break-even with what? Satisfaction, pleasure? No, MONEY :!:

I recently spent £1300 on a Marin Wolf Ridge mountain bike (it's my hobby) and the only 'break-even' I am going to achieve is a bone!! :)
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well, I think most people have a PC already, and picking up the rest of the pieces second hand can dramatically decrease the cost. I know musicians who spend thousands on equipment, I know musicians who spend next to nothing. And no, I'm not talking about stealing software...

So, my question is, what's stopping you or anybody else pursuing a record label now? If, as you say, people still want CDs, why not go that route? Forget about iTunes if it doesn't work for you. Or use a service like CD Baby? The thing is, digital distribution gives you options, options you didn't have before.

Same with Facebook, and whatnot, its a method for promo that exists now... if it doesn't work for you, go back to the old methods. If you think people value reviews, send out review copies.

Not everything works for everybody. But there are new options which work for some people, and that can only be for good.