Camera question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I normally use an SLR (a Canon EOS) for "proper" photography (as opposed to holiday snaps), but I've been thinking about finally going digital.

I'm rather taken with the Panasonic Lumix G1 - anyone have any experience with one? Any good?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Why would you want to go digital ;D

In all honesty though, I've never heard bad things about the Panasonics, on the other hand f/3.5-F/5.6 isn't too good. I always keep on hearing lots of good stuff about the PowerShot G11 (or whatever the current model is) from Canon or - less well known - the nice stuff Ricoh have on offer.

Good luck finding the right one!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I like the Canon range. I've been using PowerShots for the last couple of trips (looking to upgrade to the SX20 from the A640). The pictures are consistently good, there's enough "headroom" to play with aperture and exposure settings, and crucially they run on AA batteries - that was the biggest consideration, as I often find myself in places with no electricity. I throw a couple of packs of AAs in my bag and I'm good to go.
The SX20 also has a flip-out screen that makes it easy to compose shots in awkward situations, and with a 20x optical zoom it means I can throw the Pentax KR-Super with a 50mm in the bag as well without worrying about whether I need to take additional lenses.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
GC
Slight Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Why would you want to go digital ;D

In all honesty though, I've never heard bad things about the Panasonics, on the other hand f/3.5-F/5.6 isn't too good. I always keep on hearing lots of good stuff about the PowerShot G11 (or whatever the current model is) from Canon or - less well known - the nice stuff Ricoh have on offer.

Good luck finding the right one!
I'd agree go for the Powershot G11, very good reviews, top of the range compact camera. The choice, as general back up camera for most professionals and journalists.
Pista
Cureboi

G11 all the way
:wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote:I like the Canon range. I've been using PowerShots for the last couple of trips (looking to upgrade to the SX20 from the A640). The pictures are consistently good, there's enough "headroom" to play with aperture and exposure settings, and crucially they run on AA batteries - that was the biggest consideration, as I often find myself in places with no electricity. I throw a couple of packs of AAs in my bag and I'm good to go.
The SX20 also has a flip-out screen that makes it easy to compose shots in awkward situations, and with a 20x optical zoom it means I can throw the Pentax KR-Super with a 50mm in the bag as well without worrying about whether I need to take additional lenses.
Nice :notworthy:

I fell in love with the Panasonic Lumix TZ7 & was going to get it for my trip but a friend who's really into cameras & sells them suggested the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS (in black, of course ;) ) Said it was just as good as the Panasonic but cheaper. Still torn tho but the Canon SX20 looks real fab too :eek:
Out of the three, which would be the best in quality pictures & vid?
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ” ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Not having used the Lumix I couldn't comment on the picture quality. My experience with Canons has been excellent - the pictures are solidly good all the time, good battery life. Having never had one die on me I'm sticking with the brand until one does.

You can check out some of the pictures here.
Hank Moody
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

EvilBastard wrote:Not having used the Lumix I couldn't comment on the picture quality. My experience with Canons has been excellent - the pictures are solidly good all the time, good battery life. Having never had one die on me I'm sticking with the brand until one does.

The Rambling Catfish's photostream falls outside your current SafeSearch filter.
You can click through to see it if you want.

:o :lol:
Whatโ€™s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Holly_DelRey

EvilBastard wrote:Not having used the Lumix I couldn't comment on the picture quality. My experience with Canons has been excellent - the pictures are solidly good all the time, good battery life. Having never had one die on me I'm sticking with the brand until one does.

I'll check that out when I get home. I think I'm going to go with a Canon too. From what you & my friend are saying, seems like the best option.
Thanks for the link :)
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ” ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
The Rambling Catfish's photostream falls outside your current SafeSearch filter.

:lol: For the record they're all completely SFW :lol:
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

drat
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Seems my Canon tip was a hit. And to say I prefer Nikon myself! :lol:
EvilBastard wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

Sure ;D

Anyway, for the non digitized photography, this bit of heaven is heading my way as we speak:

:D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

now haven't I told you Zed, you already have too many cameras/music/books/fillums :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I sold this one to get that one :innocent:

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

that was a mistake but I take it it was you couldn't get fillum for it?
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Seems my Canon tip was a hit. And to say I prefer Nikon myself! :lol:

Anyway, for the non digitized photography, this bit of heaven is heading my way as we speak.:D
Mmmmmmmmmmmm...Hasselblad. :D When I was a nipper just learning to use a Vivitar V335 (no bells, no whistles) I used to wear a dent in the pavement outside the camera shop, my nose pressed against the window, gazing at the 'blads and thinking that one day I'd possess one.
I recently picked up an old Seagull TTL and once I get my head around square pictures then I may consider blowing my bonus on a 'blad (not a bad name for a photo-blog, now that i come to think about it...)
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

wot, 'blowing my bonus'?
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:wot, 'blowing my bonus'?
"Blowing my bonus on a 'Blad - a 35mm Bastard's adventures in the land of Medium Format."
Hank Moody
Holly_DelRey

EvilBastard wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

:lol: and gorgeous pictures at that :notworthy:
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ” ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
James Blast
Banned

Zed's got a real man's 'Blad, he even let me hold it

once :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:Zed's got a real man's 'Blad, he even let me hold it

once :lol:
Oh aye, that's still my favourite possession really :D

As a matter of fact they come quite cheap on eBay these days so if you'd like one you ought to check there. Get one without lens and get an old cheapo lens, old the Zeisses are still sharper than anything currently on consumer (and most pro) cameras!

But then I now ordered this most advanced of 35mm cameras so I'm really curious about working with it :D

The Seagull's cool too btw and the Pentax wasn't a mistake but bought with this in mind :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr