Is it OK to sob at gigs?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... ng-at-gigs
Crying out loud: Is it OK to sob at gigs?

You're at a gig, surrounded by strangers and listening to the emotional music of your teenage years. Is it OK to blub, or too embarrassing for words?
hell yes.

when the chameleons got back together after ~15 years and played 5 nights back to back at the witchwood in ashton (circa 2000, i think) i was there on night 4, and i've never seen so many grown men weep with joy for something they never thought they'd ever see again...

...apart from when i went to see magazine at the manchester academy last year - there wasn't a dry eye in the middle-aged, fat, balding house :lol: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

I cried at Type O's Glasgow gig c.96/7 during the end guitar coda of Green Man, it's my fave tune of theirs and to see and hear it live moved me to blub

I am not mad
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

I can't sob in front of strangers at any gig, due to a make-up problem if I would.

But sheading a tear or two with minimum damage, of course it has happened!

Last night listening to Mark Almond's voice and a certain song "Tears run Rings".

Some of the very best in my eye...Frank Black with his guitar, in Paradiso a few years ago.

Jeff Buckley's performance @ Lowlands also years ago..

Von has done that too with Good Things and a few other top moments, but I might have been emotional due to the crowd. :wink: ;D
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I've had the occasional moment watching Tori Amos (insert whatever joke you must).

Beyond that, I was fairly greetin' after the last sisters gig. :wink: :innocent:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:I cried at Type O's Glasgow gig c.96/7 during the end guitar coda of Green Man, it's my fave tune of theirs and to see and hear it live moved me to blub

I am not mad
Don't forget FGG :innocent:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

boudicca wrote:
James Blast wrote:I cried at Type O's Glasgow gig c.96/7 during the end guitar coda of Green Man, it's my fave tune of theirs and to see and hear it live moved me to blub

I am not mad
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Oh yeah, that reminds me drying up tears of the man!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Silver_Owl
The Don

I cried when I saw Suzanne Vega doing Luka at some festival after all day drinking and too many jazz cigarettes. Blubbed like a baby. :cry:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

boudicca wrote:

I am not mad
I did, thankee for the memory - a grown man must cry when he hears the fragile beauty of Rush Hour by FGG :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: when the chameleons got back together after , and i've never seen so many grown men weep with joy for something they never thought they'd ever see again...

...apart from when i went to see magazine at the manchester academy last year - there wasn't a dry eye in the middle-aged, fat, balding house :lol: 8)
Quite unnerving wannit? I did shed a tear or two at the reformed Pixies gig at Brixton but I'm a girl and I'm allowed :P

On a similar-ish note, Gaz nearly sold his soul to Jaz Coleman at the 25th birthday gigs. If Jaz had told him to lick a sheep, Gaz would've done it :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
mh
Above the Chemist

It's perfectly cool to sob at gigs and it shows how much it means to you. Two occasions: Bunnymen during the title track off the fourth album some time ago, and - naturally - Spiritualized 2 years ago (when various personal crap almost caused me to miss them till the last minute).

I didn't sob at Siouxsie though. I bounced around like a lunatic at Siouxsie but I didn't sob, and that still ranks as the best ever. :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I'd love to share but my choice would result in an off rail tirade :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Pista
Cureboi

I got close at all 4Tour shows I was at.

When A Forest doesn't go into wig out mode, I get a bit upset.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Ginger
Amphetamine Filth

Trent singing Hurt at the Manchester Apollo...sent my bottom lip a quivvering.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Several times Mikkey Dee's drum solo's have made me weep, with always some salutory effects ... so thank you for that ... ;D ... :notworthy: ...
At the Motörhead gig in Wacken 1997, I really cried deeply, 'til today I don't know what song it was exactly.
However, it reminded me of a few things and people I loved ...

Anyway, music is one of the things that can touch me deeply, so I often cry a bit at whatever gigs ...
also for example, when Negative played at the Amphi Festival in Cologne ...

When David Bowie played here in 2003, I couldn't but sob at the end of The Motel ...
- very inconvenient when your're sitting in the echelons close to the stage and the girls left and right from you
get shocked about it and start asking what's the matter ... :eek: ... it was really not easy to avoid a complete fuss ... :evil: ... :lol: ...

With Sisters gigs it's different, but ...
weebleswobble wrote:I'd love to share but my choice would result in an off rail tirade :innocent:
... possibly, you're right ... :wink: ...
Pista
Cureboi

It's prolly okay to sob if you've stage dived flat on your face onto the floor.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Crying out loud: Is it OK to sob at gigs?
No, absolutely not. Pull yourself together!

:von:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Pista wrote:It's prolly okay to sob if you've stage dived flat on your face onto the floor.
I don't think Iggy Pop has enough moisture in his body to cry, though :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

EvilBastard wrote:
Pista wrote:It's prolly okay to sob if you've stage dived flat on your face onto the floor.
I don't think Iggy Pop has enough moisture in his body to cry, though :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i'm cold bitch. never did this i don't expect that i'll ever do.
Andy Christ 666
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

No, not at gigs, maybe in the privacy of your own home, but not at gigs, nightclubs or pubs.
Do I Look Like A People Person?
James Blast
Banned

yer all losing out, to have a performance move you so much that it makes you weep is an amazing, not to mention cathartic experience - if you're lucky, your day will come, we'll see
~ Peter Steele
Andy Christ 666

James Blast wrote:yer all losing out, to have a performance move you so much that it makes you weep is an amazing, not to mention cathartic experience - if you're lucky, your day will come, we'll see
I'll admit that if The Sisters did SKOS at a gig, there may be a tear in one of my eyes and maybe a lump in my throat, but that'd be as emotional as I'd get.
James Blast
Banned

which Sisters?
~ Peter Steele
Andy Christ 666

James Blast wrote:which Sisters?
The Sisters Of Mercy, did you think I meant The Pointer Sisters? :lol:
James Blast
Banned

yeah but if you mean this sorry assed excuse for a Sisters that has been dragging it's increasingly flaccid member around the globe since 1991ish then I may well enjoy a Pointer Sisters gig, at least I wouldn't have invested so much in it :|
~ Peter Steele