putting records straight

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Does anyone have any good advice on straightening old vinyl LPs? Some of mine seem to be a bit warped.

Anyone had any personal experience with this and can tell what works best and what doesn't?

Does the old "leave between two panes of glass in the sun" routine work?
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

hallucienate wrote: Does the old "leave between two panes of glass in the sun" routine work?
Not in London. See 'a very Special Relationship' thread ... :wink:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I had the first Fields Of The Nephilim ep the wouldn't play due to warping. All I did was put it in the middle of my record pile with about 30 12" on top of it for a couple of weeks. That straightened it out ok.

I know piling records on top of one another isn't a good thing but I was really low on space at the time!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:Does anyone have any good advice on straightening old vinyl LPs? Some of mine seem to be a bit warped.

Anyone had any personal experience with this and can tell what works best and what doesn't?

it works.... :wink:
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
DomConway
Filth

hallucienate wrote:Does anyone have any good advice on straightening old vinyl LPs? Some of mine seem to be a bit warped.

Apparently so. That and another interesting method here:
http://www.care-and-feeding-of-vinyl.co ... ation.html
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cooo. 8)

i've had a 12" of 242's headhunter/welcome to paradise that has been slightly warped for years... might give it a go ;)

its a wierd warp on this one though - starting from the outside edge, and going inwards for about 1", there's a bizarre "lip" on the vinyl. its just sort of bends upwards. i cant get rid of it - have tried stacking it between several dozen other records... no success :(

each revolution, when the needle gets to that point of the record (lasts for the first minute or so of the 1st track on each side) the needle just shoots into the air to land randomly (and messily) somewhere else in the track :urff: not ideal... :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

on a similar note, i have a wee question re: pre-amps and turntables.

i use a simple 100 quid dj-mixing desk to connect my turntable to my amp as it has no phono stage/pre-amp of its own.

i bought the mixer a long time ago for dj use when i had both decks set up. it does its job nicely, but does mean i have to have the mixer turned on and the channel set correctly in order to play records...

however, i only use the one deck now. like a normal record player. i havent got the room for a second deck to be set up :(

so would i be better buying a dedicated phono pre-amp instead of the mixer? or perhaps more correctly, would i be any worse off?

would the sound be any better/worse if i got a run-of-the-mill pre-amp for 50 quid (or whatever) from super-fi or richer sounds or something?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
randdebiel²

Quiff Boy wrote:cooo. 8)

i've had a 12" of 242's headhunter/welcome to paradise that has been slightly warped for years... might give it a go ;)

its a wierd warp on this one though - starting from the outside edge, and going inwards for about 1", there's a bizarre "lip" on the vinyl. its just sort of bends upwards. i cant get rid of it - have tried stacking it between several dozen other records... no success :(

each revolution, when the needle gets to that point of the record (lasts for the first minute or so of the 1st track on each side) the needle just shoots into the air to land randomly (and messily) somewhere else in the track :urff: not ideal... :roll:
that's classic, with the glass and sun trick it should work :) I had that with a :oops: Mike Oldfield :oops: record
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Johnny Boy wrote:
hallucienate wrote: Does the old "leave between two panes of glass in the sun" routine work?
Ha ha ha quality!
You've given me my daily chuckle; Much-needed to keep the blues at bay.
Gazza for England manager
hallucienate
Overbomber

cool, thanks, I'll give it a go next time I've got some free time in the sun.
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:so would i be better buying a dedicated phono pre-amp instead of the mixer? or perhaps more correctly, would i be any worse off?

would the sound be any better/worse if i got a run-of-the-mill pre-amp for 50 quid (or whatever) from super-fi or richer sounds or something?
A dedicated pre-amp should always be better, but the main prob I find is that what a lot of hi-fi dudes describe as "better" mostly sounds just plain dull to my ears. All the hi-fi stuff is present and correct alright, but the excitement is gone. This is particularly true with vinyl, where an 80 quid Sony (with integrated pre-amp!!!) sounds far more engaging to me than certain other stuff I've heard.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Black Shuck wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:
Ha ha ha quality!
You've given me my daily chuckle; Much-needed to keep the blues at bay.
You're welcome. :P
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:on a similar note, i have a wee question re: pre-amps and turntables.

i use a simple 100 quid dj-mixing desk to connect my turntable to my amp as it has no phono stage/pre-amp of its own.

i bought the mixer a long time ago for dj use when i had both decks set up. it does its job nicely, but does mean i have to have the mixer turned on and the channel set correctly in order to play records...

however, i only use the one deck now. like a normal record player. i havent got the room for a second deck to be set up :(

so would i be better buying a dedicated phono pre-amp instead of the mixer? or perhaps more correctly, would i be any worse off?

try the nad pre amp don t remember the type right now, but
you should get it in a good price. otherwise, sell the mixer and the
amp and get a creek amp. you won t regret it..

Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

sorry Quiff can t find the nad pre-amp which type it is
the creek amp is 4330mk2
if i m not mistaken nad had only one pre amp,at least
without paying a fortune for it.
why dont you try ebay for that?
i hope this info will help you out