Technical Question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Yes I am becoming more teknophobic by the minute. :urff: :urff:

I have a box of boots (23 of them!!!), that for some reason will not play on my windows media player they freeze the application. I have a boot I burned as an exact copy (original source worked on my computer) that will play, but no sound. Please don't tell me to turn the mute off....It's not on.

Does anyone know what this problem is, and how can I fix it? CD's I purchased work just fine.

And if anyone other than JB got blank or incomplete discs that I sent out in weeding, for god's sake let me know...I will send ones that work when I can figure out what the heck happened.

Sincerely,

A very pissed off Planet.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Hmm, the CD's you've burned, have you tried playing them on another CD Player / Computer? If they work then your Win Media Player is acting up I think. At least it shows that your burning software isn't screwing up!

Download Winamp 2 and associate Audio CDs with it then see if that works.

Might be worth doing a Windows Update and see if there are any fixes/patches for your version of Media Player.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

I think the burning software malfunctioned. I just took a look at a disk I copied from one I made and actually played on my cd player. It came up blank!! And I think the box of weeds I have must have a bunch of bad tracks on them. They play but no sound and give an error when the tracks done. That is one hell of a bummer! What a project...to fix all that up so I can reweed it like I promised. And no, it's not HL weed project, so nobody here has to worry.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Black Planet wrote:I think the burning software malfunctioned. I just took a look at a disk I copied from one I made and actually played on my cd player. It came up blank!! And I think the box of weeds I have must have a bunch of bad tracks on them. They play but no sound and give an error when the tracks done. That is one hell of a bummer! What a project...to fix all that up so I can reweed it like I promised. And no, it's not HL weed project, so nobody here has to worry.
Tight trousers can cause all sorts of problems. :wink:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

But I like Ian's tight trousers. Can't say I appreciate dwarfs tho. ;)
James Blast
Banned

I've found burning CDs to be a very imprecise science that usually works 9 out of 10 times. Have you tried another player like iTunes?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

@ Redsunsets,

I will have to do that. What really irritates me is for all the Cult boots I have the damn first song will not play!!! on my computer for each and every cd. That's just too strange, and I even reloaded the stupid player! :evil: :evil: :evil:
James Blast
Banned

BP what I have been doing recently is copying boots to my hard drive before reweeding them, they usually play fine from there.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Red Sunsets wrote:BP what I have been doing recently is copying boots to my hard drive before reweeding them, they usually play fine from there.
I am doing that now. It seems my cd drive at work, which was just replaced is malfunctioning. My cheesy clock/radio/cd player likes my Cult boots and plays the tracks that wont play at work.

Still no answer yet as to why the cd's I burned show as blank. Maybe a defective batch?
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Black Planet wrote:I am doing that now. It seems my cd drive at work, which was just replaced is malfunctioning. My cheesy clock/radio/cd player likes my Cult boots and plays the tracks that wont play at work.

Still no answer yet as to why the cd's I burned show as blank. Maybe a defective batch?
What brand of CDR:s are you using. There are incompatibilities between certain discs and certain players. Especially newer "high-speed"-CDR:s.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

I have always used memorex. Music CD-R. I usually get the colored ones, this time it's the plain white ones which are incidentally what all my Cult boots were burned on. [not that I think the color matters] I tried TDK only to find they didn't work on my boom box cd player. Very touchy ... takes a lot of patience to get them to play, if at all.

How do you know you have a high speed CD-R?
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Black Planet wrote:I have always used memorex. Music CD-R. I usually get the colored ones, this time it's the plain white ones which are incidentally what all my Cult boots were burned on. [not that I think the color matters] I tried TDK only to find they didn't work on my boom box cd player. Very touchy ... takes a lot of patience to get them to play, if at all.

How do you know you have a high speed CD-R?
Usually it's written all over them, "48X", "52X extra speed", etc. Colour might also be an issue. It's a jungle, really. Also, as a rule of thumb, I burn all audio CD:s at no higher speed than 4x, which, I imagine, give the tracks more exact definition.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Have U checked the fuse ?????

Paddy.

sorry.

really.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Andy TG
Overbomber

As a precaution - If I am "burning" cds I always carry out a complete "reboot" of my PC after 2 or 3 complete burns - in particular if I have copied to the "HDD" first!

I also found that Windows Mwdia Player would "Muck About" to much and interfere with Burning Software - Hence I have completely removed the WMP.

I too have had bad "Batches" of CDRs in the past - mainly TDK - But I have also found that the slower you Burn the more reliable the recording you get.
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

I burn 4X or slower.

I never heard about the Windows media player interfering with burning software.

I am sick and tired of the damn computer not recognizing tracks my cheesy cd player will play!!! How can I tell what I have if the puter wont read it?

God damn it!!!

And I am copying to my HDD at 190 bit rate so it's not going to be poor quality.

@#%%$$**(*

I've had enough of this s**t for today.

Thanks to all of you for your help. It is appreciated.

BP
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Why does a certain generation think that they have to choose randomly when presented with a crucial decision by MS Windows and, worse, just click on things because they look interesting? Conversation with Dad the other day.

Him: this blasted thing says it is plug and play. I don't want plug and play. I want plug and work.
Me: well it should be ok for that too.
Him: What does this do (click).
Me: I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Him: well why didn't you say?
Me: I just did.
Him: a bit late. Anyway, can you get it working?
Me: I will try.
Him: is it working yet?
Me: no, but it will be soon.
Him: well why not, what's wrong.
Me: well it's complicated.
Him: why are you so conspiratorial? tell me what the problem is.
Me: ok, well I think you have not properly unzipped the software that came on the CD with the item. It isn't plug and play really. You need to put the software on and then re-boot and it will work.
Him: what is software? Where is the zipper on this thing ? What is re-boot?
Me: don't worry I will sort it.
Him: no, I really want to know how to unzip it. What is inside?
mh
Above the Chemist

Clucking Belle wrote:Why does a certain generation think that they have to choose randomly when presented with a crucial decision by MS Windows and, worse, just click on things because they look interesting? Conversation with Dad the other day.

Him: this blasted thing says it is plug and play. I don't want plug and play. I want plug and work.
Me: ok, well I think you have not properly unzipped the software that came on the CD with the item. It isn't plug and play really. You need to put the software on and then re-boot and it will work.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

He sounds like one of our users...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Tell him to take it back to the shop and get a Mac! ;)
~ Peter Steele
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Clucking Belle wrote:Why does a certain generation think that they have to choose randomly when presented with a crucial decision by MS Windows and, worse, just click on things because they look interesting? Conversation with Dad the other day.

And this would be a case of the blind leading the blind, I suppose.

:wink: