RIP Malcolm Maclaren

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Then again............I do like this:

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

it's like mh says really... he was similar to tony wilson in that respect.

a nascent uk punk scene was forming, but without him manipulating, pushing, moulding it and generally talking it up in the press and creating controversy it would not have had the impact it did

his mouthy arrogance and bullsh*t made people pay attention, AND THAT WAS THE KEY

you didnt have to like him, you just had to hear him

once he had people's attention, he organised and shaped the band(s) in order to maximise their impact

he may not know his way around a mixing desk but he didnt need to

without his organisation and gift for getting people's backs up, the uk punk scene would have been a bunch of snot-nosed w*nkers making a god-awful racket to a pub full of their mates

it would not have made the transition to major scene and would not have captured the public's imagination in the way t did

the scene (and its faces) would almost certainly not still be around today if it weren't for him raising theit profiles and focussing their energies

i didnt actually like him. but i cannot deny his impact

we may never see his like again :(

rip malcom.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

it's more than likely that this band and this forum and these friendships would not have existed.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

So he's even more of a c**t then :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

without him we problably would never heard about Mr Lydon, nae butters comercial, nea floggin' scum of fine horses.

salut to Mr MM. :notworthy:
splintered thing

RIP...
So many gone in the last year...
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
moses

emilystrange wrote:it's more than likely that this band and this forum and these friendships would not have existed.
I think that may be stretching it a bit, Suicide, The Ramones, Motorhead, Stooges etc all existed without McClaren having any influence at all.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Punk would never have been the force it was without him. And without the "punk ethic" of "just pick up a guitar and play", you'd have no post-punk.

And a certain Mr Taylor at the China department of the Foreign Office might occasionally wonder what would have happened if he'd ever started that band he always talked about thirty years ago—when he's not fantasising about early retirement or the new office junior.

*Edit to add: God, I've really depressed myself now!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Intellectual Love God

moses wrote:
emilystrange wrote:it's more than likely that this band and this forum and these friendships would not have existed.
I think that may be stretching it a bit, Suicide, The Ramones, Motorhead, Stooges etc all existed without McClaren having any influence at all.
Exactly what I wanted to say ...
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

existence is not everything.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

doesn't matter who's doing what unless the public are prepared to take notice.

it's not a scene without a following. it's just a few mates in bands playing gigs to each other in the local bar...

punk may have existed elsewhere but it wasn't a scene, or a cohesive movement.

malcolm raised eyebrows, publicised the pistols' antics, and made people look out for what they were up to. social & media manipulation. he gave the average british teenager something to rally around. it legitimised and popularised a group of like-minded bands. and he made them slightly better off in the process ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Malcom McLaren: The svengali who created carnage

Tim Jonze wonders if there'll ever be another figure quite so controversial as former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2 ... en-carnage
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

emilystrange wrote:existence is not everything.
but the influence it had on so many of us...

still so sad about the news.

RIP mr. mclaren. :notworthy:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

I met him walking along the street in Paris a few years ago. He was extremely pleasant, which took me by surprise as I'd always thought of him as a complete c*nt :lol:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Some may say the music industry is in the state it's in because of him as well. Didn't he say he employed people (lawyers?) who cared more about making money than the music and that he was the first to do so. Might have been in The Great Rock n Roll Swindle, could be wrong though.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Punk would never have been the force it was without him. And without the "punk ethic" of "just pick up a guitar and play", you'd have no post-punk.

And a certain Mr Taylor at the China department of the Foreign Office might occasionally wonder what would have happened if he'd ever started that band he always talked about thirty years ago—when he's not fantasising about early retirement or the new office junior.

*Edit to add: God, I've really depressed myself now!
Currently giving myself a complete headfuck trying to work out how different my life would have been if Mr Taylor had seen through his ambition to join the Foreign Office.
Also wondering how different the world would be in general.
I think I've gone down the wrong leg of the trousers of time. :?
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
CyberAndy
Road Kill

He DEF. had a MASSIVE influence on the Punk Scene and beyond ...
His ideas and artistic imput to 'Punk' were crucial and have influenced our clothes/art/culture through to today.

From what I am aware, he was someone who was very creative but had absolutely NO regard for the Individuals involved.
I went to a thing where Jah Wobble was being interviewed by Jon Savage last year.
Wobble's view was much as I said ; he felt Mclaren treated Lydon terribly (although Wobble was Lydons mate so maybe had a biased view ...).

I am sure McLaren had NO input into The Pistols music/lyrics but am sure he was a catalyst for ideas/events and 'The Great Rock N Roll Swindle' film was his ego gone mad.

He even then Managed Adam And The Ants and sacked Adam ... :lol:
It's A Black Planet ....
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

CyberAndy wrote:He even then Managed Adam And The Ants and sacked Adam ... :lol:
And his first choice for singer in the Sex Pistols was Midge Ure. Imagine that alternative universe.
Francis
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:it's like mh says really... he was similar to tony wilson in that respect.

a nascent uk punk scene was forming, but without him manipulating, pushing, moulding it and generally talking it up in the press and creating controversy it would not have had the impact it did

his mouthy arrogance and bullsh*t made people pay attention, AND THAT WAS THE KEY

you didnt have to like him, you just had to hear him

once he had people's attention, he organised and shaped the band(s) in order to maximise their impact

he may not know his way around a mixing desk but he didnt need to

without his organisation and gift for getting people's backs up, the uk punk scene would have been a bunch of snot-nosed w*nkers making a god-awful racket to a pub full of their mates

it would not have made the transition to major scene and would not have captured the public's imagination in the way t did

the scene (and its faces) would almost certainly not still be around today if it weren't for him raising theit profiles and focussing their energies

i didnt actually like him. but i cannot deny his impact

we may never see his like again :(

rip malcom.
I guess you had to be there. :roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.