Volcanic ash

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

MadameButterfly wrote:
emilystrange wrote:lord above, that was a catastrophic derail
:lol: sorry. well loads of airports are shut. hope no-one is needing to travel in the next few days... we're closed, parts of germany, ireland i think and it's because aircrafts aren't built to handle it! i'm sure it's not healthy to inhale either though.
The aircraft's engines cannot deal with the ashes and flame out.
Happened few times (BA, KLM). But after leaving the St. Elmo's Fire at 10k to go and fly lower, the engines could be restarted.
Pretty scary when all engines fail. People start to write notes, or wank a boyfriend while listening to VT. :?
"as we walk on the floodland"
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Ozpat wrote: The aircraft's engines cannot deal with the ashes and flame out.
Happened few times (BA, KLM). But after leaving the St. Elmo's Fire at 10k to go and fly lower, the engines could be restarted.
Pretty scary when all engines fail. People start to write notes, or wank a boyfriend while listening to VT. :?
Hang on, not a bad way to go!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:Pretty scary when all engines fail. People start to write notes, or wank a boyfriend while listening to VT. :?
I know, I mean Temple Of Love I'd understand.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

:( FFS, my (far better) half is stuck in Spain. Only went for four days to visit her mother last Wednesday, now not due back until a week tomorrow.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Friends of mine were supposed to fly back from Marrakech on Friday. They flew as far as Madrid, then got a coach from Madrid to Calais (nearly 1000 miles!) and a ferry to Dover. Back in the UK only 48 hours late...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

a couple of friends who were here for Roadburn are still crashing at my place. not that i'm complaining (well, maybe i am a little bit because they've effectively turned the place into a pigsty :oops: :lol: ), but they were supposed to be back at work today and their boss isn't the most understanding of all people.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I have friends who were due to fly back from California today. Presumably they're still there. Hopefully they'll get a flight soon now that airports are opening again.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/20 ... ano_model/

So the UK Met Office closed European civilian airspace on the basis of one computer model, which it didn't check against reality.

...the Met Office continued to issue projections of where it thought the ash cloud should be, but was unable to report its density and composition with confidence. These are critical vital factors an airline needs to know. European airlines sounded the alarm on Sunday, when they noticed that the satellite pictures didn't tally with the centre's output.

etc

will be ever so slightly annoyed if they've still shut the airports this time next week and it all turns out to be unnecessary, when we're supposed to be flying to NYC :evil:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:will be ever so slightly annoyed if they've still shut the airports this time next week and it all turns out to be unnecessary, when we're supposed to be flying to NYC :evil:
Never mind that - my Baby is stuck in Spain and I need some lovin' :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wow. Cock up.

Edit: :lol: at the interjection of Norm's comment. Makes this one look a bit... personal?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Norman Hunter wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:will be ever so slightly annoyed if they've still shut the airports this time next week and it all turns out to be unnecessary, when we're supposed to be flying to NYC :evil:
Never mind that - my Baby is stuck in Spain and I need some lovin' :wink:
with all due respect, you can get some "lovin'" for a good deal less than what the flghts and hotel for a week in the metropolis cost us :lol:

not that i've ever looked...especially not in leeds :innocent:

:lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My boss at the old job used to be quite a fan of this place :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:urff: :lol:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

My lips are sealed.

Which - quite neatly - sums up the problem.

Pah.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

som amazing photos of the area around the volcano here

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... okull.html

eg:

Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Taking my Mother-In-Law to Atlanta airport in an hour as she flys home to UK today.
Just checked,and flights to Manchester are all systems go!!!!
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Garbageman wrote:Taking my Mother-In-Law to Atlanta airport in an hour as she flys home to UK today.
Just checked,and flights to Manchester are all systems go!!!!
phew. that bodes well for our flight to new york next week :o

thanks for the heads up :notworthy:

who's she flying with, btw? we're with continental.
scotty
Overbomber

I've full expected to the media full of tofu eating guardian reading lettuce lickers exalting about all the carbon emissions that are being saved by the grounding of planes..................must all be busy knitting museli :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:I wouldn't worry about inhaling it...
I'm not so sure about this now. Is it just me who's noticed a lot more people coughing recently? I've certainly had a sore throat for the past week or so. :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
I'm not so sure about this now. Is it just me who's noticed a lot more people coughing recently? I've certainly had a sore throat for the past week or so. :urff:
Can't say I have, but I've noticed the ash on my car.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Norman Hunter wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Can't say I have, but I've noticed the ash on my car.

I remember learning at school that inhaling it, is not good. All sorts chemical gasses come out of it and if it's enough to cause damage to aircrafts, how could then not be harmful to us? Or they taught us incorrectly at school.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Garbageman

Mr Quiff,she is flying with Delta and arrived in Manchester this morning with no delay.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

:D My Baby has changed her flight!

:( It's now Monday, not Tuesday.

Long weekend beckons - and I can't even watch the NFL Draft live :?
moses

MadameButterfly wrote:All sorts chemical gasses come out of it and if it's enough to cause damage to aircrafts, how could then not be harmful to us? Or they taught us incorrectly at school.
Biology & Aeronautical mechanics might work slightly differently :) I wouldn't panic too much
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Garbageman wrote:Mr Quiff,she is flying with Delta and arrived in Manchester this morning with no delay.
cool, thanks for the info.

i think we'll be fine - we've got a week for stuff to clear up 8)